X3AP Need help dealing with SPACEWHALE when boarding

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Nehlis

X3AP Need help dealing with SPACEWHALE when boarding

Post by Nehlis » Wed, 3. Dec 14, 00:33

Ok so some background information here.
Currently I'm trying to spacewalk board a Xenon Q. I'm using wing of 23 Ns to keep the shield down. I can easily fly both my Hyperion and my Phantom in the underside blindspot. Here's where the trouble happens:
Whenever I deploy the marines, either by command or manually, they always get eviserated when they slam into the hull. I can get maybe 16 marines onboard, but the rest are killed mid transit or drooling around in space.
I've tried slowing the damn thing down with hull damage (marines have max in all skills, so hull won't deplete from boarding).
The majority of the problem seems to come from the turning, which is explicitly what I'm using to get the Q stationary so the marine cloud can reach it. As soon as they do they slam into the front or back and explode.

Any tips?
Other than use boarding pods that is...
Warning: Ingesting Incrediblypainfultothepointofclawingonesowneyesoutscreamingbloodymurderium may cause nausea, dizziness, hair loss, skin irritation, eye irritation, tongue swelling, rashes, impotency, sore throat, hypothermia, fever, coughing, sneezing, projectile vomiting, internal hemorrhaging, external hemorrhaging, projectile diarrhea, paranoia, mild insanity, liver failure, kidney failure, heart failure, schizophrenia, blackouts, seizures, strokes, death and possibly mild pain.

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Wed, 3. Dec 14, 03:02

If you eject them with either of the 2 commands they shouldn't be a subject to collision damage with target ship... At least not in my experience, I tend to just eject space ninjas right in the targets face, sort of slinghshot them right into the hull and spare myself the traveling time(also main guns tend to be the easiest to avoid and time properly).

Which is why I find your scenario... odd. Got any mods that do anything with marines or boarding? Tried it on a different ship? Different sector?
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

Nehlis

Post by Nehlis » Wed, 3. Dec 14, 03:10

Doing it in xenon sector 347 after clearing out any nearby hostiles.
No mods, pure vanilla.
I finally managed to get all 21 of them on board at the same time, a combination of sheer luck, slowing it down to 45m/s by hull damage, and using my own hyperion as a shield/distraction to prevent the gun from targeting them.
Now all that remains is to roll the dice several billions of times and pray to the RNG...
Warning: Ingesting Incrediblypainfultothepointofclawingonesowneyesoutscreamingbloodymurderium may cause nausea, dizziness, hair loss, skin irritation, eye irritation, tongue swelling, rashes, impotency, sore throat, hypothermia, fever, coughing, sneezing, projectile vomiting, internal hemorrhaging, external hemorrhaging, projectile diarrhea, paranoia, mild insanity, liver failure, kidney failure, heart failure, schizophrenia, blackouts, seizures, strokes, death and possibly mild pain.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Wed, 3. Dec 14, 03:16

I, too, would not expect collisions to kill marines. But a Q turns pretty fast, and it is going to *shoot* your marines if it can get a turret facing them.

Spacewalking a Q... that's not going to be easy. Especially in a vanilla game.

Xenon capital ships are the toughest in the game to capture. It is hard enough to do with a 30-marine Sirokos and boarding pods, let alone trying to spacewalk from a TP.

You can have 40 marines on that TP. You're gonna need most of them if they are spacewalking rather than using fast-moving boarding pods.

Of course, if you are trying to challenge yourself, then go for it. :pirat:

Nehlis

Post by Nehlis » Wed, 3. Dec 14, 03:31

Is it at all possible to capture a xenon capital keeping 21 marines start to finish, or is it a certanty that I'll lose some during boarding? I'm willing to re-roll the dice as many times as it takes, but only if actually possible.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Wed, 3. Dec 14, 03:45

Nehlis wrote: only if actually possible.
Possible but extremely unlikely.

Nehlis wrote: I'm willing to re-roll the dice as many times as it takes
Better you than me. ;)

Nehlis

Post by Nehlis » Thu, 4. Dec 14, 01:51

So ive managed to cap the damn thing losing 5 marines in the process. Is it worth it or should I just reroll?

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 4. Dec 14, 01:53

In my experience, five is on the low end of average. So I would call that a "win" and move on. Nice job.

But it's your game. :)

Nehlis

Post by Nehlis » Thu, 4. Dec 14, 02:13

DrBullwinkle wrote:In my experience, five is on the low end of average. So I would call that a "win" and move on. Nice job.

But it's your game. :)
Sounds like sagely advice I'll take it.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”