Elite: Dangerous (continued)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Tue, 11. Jul 17, 20:24

thrangar wrote:
felter wrote:The Return

Well that shed some light, thanks for the linky.
You do realise that is a fan made video? it wasn't made by FD at all, it says so in the comments section.

Still a good video.
=

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 11. Jul 17, 21:08

Is ED worth buying for... Xbox...

I am still a proud member of the PC Master Race. I may have to do some traveling for quite awhile and I'm not sure about getting yet another, much more powerful, laptop just to run high-end games while I'm away. I also won't be able to lug around my PC.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 11. Jul 17, 21:31

matthewfarmery wrote:
thrangar wrote:
felter wrote:The Return

Well that shed some light, thanks for the linky.
You do realise that is a fan made video? it wasn't made by FD at all, it says so in the comments section.

Still a good video.
Yeah that's why I posted it. At the time I also didn't know that FD had linked it in the news letter that they send out.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Fri, 29. Sep 17, 15:30

They've returned....

and they can be killed...

I'm waiting for the "they're too easy to kill" thread to appear on the ED forum closely followed by "they're too hard to kill" thread.
A flower?

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Fri, 29. Sep 17, 21:53

I've not had an encounter since the hyperdiction event many months ago.

What I did though was engage with the Thargoid material missions (whilst they lasted) and that was very entertaining merging high risk missions with high value rewards. If you missed that I think its gone now but gameplay wise it was so good.

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Tue, 12. Dec 17, 13:59

Hi folks :)

I'm debating whether to buy 'Horizons' (now), or should I wait till next year.
The game has had a few updates, and I seem to enjoy it a bit more than I did, so in short, is it worth the extra £19 etc. in it's present state?

Any advice/opinions gratefully appreciated! :)

Oldman :)

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Tue, 12. Dec 17, 14:23

Oldman wrote:Hi folks :)

I'm debating whether to buy 'Horizons' (now), or should I wait till next year.
The game has had a few updates, and I seem to enjoy it a bit more than I did, so in short, is it worth the extra £19 etc. in it's present state?

Any advice/opinions gratefully appreciated! :)

It worth it just to "loon" (technical term ;)) about on a planet's surface in an SRV! It increases you options with the materials and the Engineers - it makes exploring easier. I upgraded both my accounts to Horizons as there is much more to see ( Crashed ships, ruins, thargoid structures, barnacles, brain trees, geysers etc) on planet surfaces.

Currently out at Phua Eurl HB-F d11-2 trying to do a circumnavigation of the galaxy. It's going quite slowly as had to cut my game hours and often take a break from Jump / honking by having a quick "loon" about on a planet!
A flower?

Aken_Bosch
Moderator (Italiano)
Moderator (Italiano)
x4

Post by Aken_Bosch » Wed, 13. Dec 17, 00:55

Ditto what's been written by Redvers. It's nothing that makes it a totally new and different game but it adds a lot to it, the engineers (and all the stuff that needs to be done to get to them) open a whole new level of customization for ships (even if the randomness of it still stinks a bit), the possibility to land and drive across planets opens a whole new level to exploration, if that's your thing of course.

Something I want to add, the SRV is an overly fun toy to drive around on planetary surfaces, especially low g ones, the physics engine really makes a good work in that game.

Also, races are a thing of course. 8)
Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:Currently out at Phua Eurl HB-F d11-2 trying to do a circumnavigation of the galaxy. It's going quite slowly as had to cut my game hours and often take a break from Jump / honking by having a quick "loon" about on a planet!
o7 fellow explorer! A circumnavigation of the galaxy requires a lot of determination, take care out in the black.
I'm currently busy on a circumnavigation of Enceladus. By rover, of course. :D
A tad less than 1600 km of jumps, tumbles and regrets on bad decisions. And I'm also keeping some kind of journal of my delirious ramblings.
(shameless cross-forum self promotion)

Much like X, I find this is a game where the goals you set for yourself make the most of the gameplay. Even if Elite requires a bit too much imagination for it to work at times. :roll:

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Thu, 14. Dec 17, 14:32

The Thargoids are now attacking stations.
A flower?

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Mon, 1. Jan 18, 11:57

Hi all :)

Well, I finally bought 'Horizons', spent some credits on three new ships, a Beluga Liner, a Dolphin and a Type Ten Defender.
I also bought some cosmetic paint jobs for the Orca, Dolphin and Beluga, plus some passenger nameplates.
I've now got my fleet of passenger ships which all come under the title of the " Wild Deer Travel Corp." and "Wild Deer Trading" for my trading ships,
(Python, Anaconda and Cobra mk. 3.).
The Passenger ships are all painted in 'Vibrant Red'. :rofl:
So if you see any passenger ships in open play with that colour and logo it will be me most likely. :)
I have some SRV's in some of them which I'm just trying to get the hang of driving... :roll: ...so much to learn there and I nearly got stuck on a planet, as the SRV wouldn't go under the ship to dock. I had to send the ship away and recall it, it worked okay then.... :rant: ... :D

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Mon, 1. Jan 18, 14:29

Oldman wrote:Hi all :)

I have some SRV's in some of them which I'm just trying to get the hang of driving... :roll: ...so much to learn there and I nearly got stuck on a planet, as the SRV wouldn't go under the ship to dock. I had to send the ship away and recall it, it worked okay then.... :rant: ... :D

There is a trick if you do get stuck in an SRV for any reason (down a crevasse or stuck on something (ancient ruin or something) ) . Log out of Horizons and log in in plain ED - you'll be placed in orbit with SRV intact.

I'll look out for you but I'll not often in open. (Fleetcom).
A flower?

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Fri, 5. Jan 18, 14:29

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:...

There is a trick if you do get stuck in an SRV for any reason (down a crevasse or stuck on something (ancient ruin or something) ) . Log out of Horizons and log in in plain ED - you'll be placed in orbit with SRV intact.

I'll look out for you but I'll not often in open. (Fleetcom).
Hi, :) Thanks for the advice.

I'm trying to upgrade my status with the Imperials at the moment. I'm designated 'Lord', but to get any higher is taking a very long time.

I'm currently in the Vequess, Miphifa and Happis systems doing transport runs, and also trying to get the permit for the Facece system.
So any advice from you Frontier Horizons/Dangerous players would be really helpful! :oops: ... :)

Aken_Bosch
Moderator (Italiano)
Moderator (Italiano)
x4

Post by Aken_Bosch » Fri, 5. Jan 18, 14:47

Oldman wrote:Hi all :)

Well, I finally bought 'Horizons', spent some credits on three new ships, a Beluga Liner, a Dolphin and a Type Ten Defender.
Just had some pocket money to spare eh! :D
Oldman wrote:I have some SRV's in some of them which I'm just trying to get the hang of driving... :roll: ...so much to learn there and I nearly got stuck on a planet, as the SRV wouldn't go under the ship to dock. I had to send the ship away and recall it, it worked okay then.... :rant: ... :D

Oh, with the SRV there's SO MUCH to learn indeed...you wouldn't expect that kind of fun for physics on wheels from a game mainly about zipping around in spaceships...there's not a great deal of planetside content generally, but the act of driving is just enough fun in itself. I currently have almost 9000 km on my odometer, the last 1800 gained with a full circumnavigation of the moon Enceladus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll5T3fhPKOY&t

I won't put it here, but in the video description you'll find a link to the "travelogue" thread in the forums, nonsensical babblings aside it may give a small preview to someone new with Horizons of the kind of content it may offers on planetary surfaces. Keeping in mind that Enceladus has probably one of the dullest landscapes ever, there are many true planetary gems scattered around the universe.

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Tue, 27. Feb 18, 18:35

HI Folks :)

Elite Dangerous 'Beyond' chapter One is nearly ready for download.

The Servers will be down from 9.30 am GMT for approximately 9 hours today...maybe a little bit more.
So anyone who has 'Horizons' will be able to download this first 'Chapter'.
Hopefully that means somewhere around 5.30 pm onwards, (if all goes well!)

Should be interesting to see what changes there are. There's also a new ship to buy, the 'Chieftain'.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Wed, 28. Feb 18, 12:19

Briefly logged in last night (after update) and didn't notice too much difference, but then I didn't do anything - although it did have a new fancy loading screen.
A flower?

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Thu, 1. Mar 18, 08:49

Got another 50 hours or so of Fallout 4 and then will try again to get into ED! Need to find a corner of space with a faction and try to get familiar with area, people and try to find what the story behind the fictional universe is, i.e try and immerse more.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Fri, 2. Mar 18, 23:27

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:Briefly logged in last night (after update) and didn't notice too much difference, but then I didn't do anything - although it did have a new fancy loading screen.
Hi :)

They have re-vamped the missions structure. Quite a big change, though the missions designed for group players has me scratching my head a bit :? ....not a lot of rewards it seems to me, but then I might be looking at it the wrong way.
Still a bit perplexed by the Engineer workshops, a bit of trial and error for me at the moment. I had to do some 'mining' to get certain materials for upgrading my modules, which is another aspect of the game to consider.
I did some mining way back when it was first introduced, but not a lot, so I was a little bit rusty in that department! :roll:
I'm finding it a bit more fun to play now, though I've had to ask a few questions on the Frontier forums, as the game can be a bit confusing in some areas.
Bought the new 'Chieftain', so I'm gradually upgrading that and some of my other ships whilst trying to keep a healthy bank balance to cover insurance. :D
muppetts wrote:Got another 50 hours or so of Fallout 4 and then will try again to get into ED! Need to find a corner of space with a faction and try to get familiar with area, people and try to find what the story behind the fictional universe is, i.e try and immerse more.
Hi :)
Yes, if you can keep trading and doing missions for factions in one or two systems you get better rewards etc. eventually.
I've been using one system to work from for quite some time now and it makes finding certain commodities a lot easier for transport missions, though as the game is continually being updated some trade information in some systems is not always straightforward. The introduction of Horizons and planet based stations has altered where you can find commodities, compared to the base game in a system.
When I decided to get a better ranking with the Imperials I found that using the method described above it made getting my rank up a lot quicker than I imagined. I now have another set of systems (one of several) I know I can make credits fast in, it takes a bit of time and a bit of thought, it's not easy at first but once you know your way around these areas it gradually becomes easier, and more fun! :)

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Sun, 11. Mar 18, 02:30

My understanding is that the reward for a group mission is supposed to be the stated amount on the board each.

That said I'm too scared to take one of those on. I thought I was hot stuff taking down pirate lords in my trusty corvette. I thought I was one of the lords of the galaxy.

Then I saw a streamer have a go at a wing assassination mission with his mates. If memory serves they encountered 7 heavily engineered anacondas. One quick rebuy later I think he decided to give that particular mission a miss for now. I agreed with him.

In the meantime I've been trying to find lots of stuffs to re-engineer all the modules. The new materials trader is a help but I've still go to go out there and get stuff.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Tue, 13. Mar 18, 09:10

I looked but not sure, is Horizons still the only expansion DL sold or is there another one (or is another one on the way?)
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Tue, 13. Mar 18, 10:49

muppetts wrote:I looked but not sure, is Horizons still the only expansion DL sold or is there another one (or is another one on the way?)

Beyond 3.0 is free to Horizon's and Lifetime pass
- not sure how much is in the basic ED.
A flower?

Return to “Off Topic English”