AP: Keris and Laser towers

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mc74
x4

AP: Keris and Laser towers

Post by mc74 » Wed, 28. Jan 15, 16:17

Two questions:

- I have huge number of keris. Wanted to try them and keep selling to grow income but can't sell them as I usually sell other weapons/missiles/shields - go to EqD of race that doesn't produce such w/m/s and unload as crazy with my few TLs...

- Same problem but question is actually related to securing some gates: can I unload 100 of them on one place? Will they interfere (kill) each other in OOS?

Thanks guys! :)

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Wed, 28. Jan 15, 18:05

I assume the latter part of your post referred to laser towers the answer is no they will not shoot each other best bet though is to drop the in groups of say up to fifty each to allow for cross fire tactics.

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Wed, 28. Jan 15, 19:16

So you have a ship load of Keris drones that no one will buy. Load up a small transport and sell the transport at a shipyard. You'll get average price for the drones, but even if that's what you paid when you bought them, you are just out the price of the transport.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Wed, 28. Jan 15, 19:40

AH:

I assumed from his post he was making them. in which case he could just shut down the part of the complex making them and add another product station/s for Terran tech weapons instead.

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Wed, 28. Jan 15, 20:18

I would assume he's making them, too. He's looking for an AI station where he can sell his drones endlessly. I'm not aware of one. Not for the Keris, Fighter Drone, or Fighter Drone II.

There are a few Orbital Defense Stations and the Saturn Research Station that stock limited numbers of the Keris, but turnover is so slow it doesn't help the matter. Even purchasing the CW stations to sell the drone won't help, and that's a steep price, in time for rep and credits for the station, to sell drones at average price. The Hub, PHQ, and HQ could all sell them, but again, limited quantities stocked. If the demand for the Keris drone is anything like that for the Mk II, it will be slow sell.

Captured ships loaded with drones and sold at the shipyard is the best option.

soulmata
x4

Post by soulmata » Wed, 28. Jan 15, 20:48

For Keris:
Keris are not great for selling because, as others mentioned, there are no quick infinite sinks for them like Shields and most weapons. EMPCs will sell infinitely at places like Saturn Research Station, but the AI won't sell there by default - maybe try unloading the Keris there? Keris also require precious silicon, and if you're interested in money, there are other uses for turning silicon into cash that the AI Will buy like hotcackes - such as Satellites. Often even if I set my fabs to maximum price, the AI will still be buying satellites like I'm the last place in the universe to make them.

A better use for Keris are drone dump tactics. Keris has EMPC and is thus more powerful, particularly OOS, than the Fighter Drone MKII. This is amplified by the fact Keris build in quantity faster than MKII, so you can amass them quickly. Dump 50-100 in a sector OOS to wipe out anything particularly annoying. Kind of a lame tactic but it's a way to get rid of them quickly while also solving other "problems". I generally use this to deal with the occasional Xenon invasion when using MBRR, as I have Xenon at 20x multiplier and sometimes they get out of control. If there's an annoying I or K, 50 drones will deal with it.

They are also nice IS for dealing with M8s during patrol or defense missions. I mostly fly my Katana which is not the best ship to be taking on M8s, but a handful of drones will keep it occupied and prevent it from destroying a station.

For Lasertowers:
You can dump as many lasertowers in a single spot as you want (I've done over 80 in a single spot before) if you are OOS, and they will all remain at the exactly the same spot, without shooting each other, as long as you remain OOS. As soon as you go IS, because they are overlapping, the game will move them to a random spot. Sometimes it's only a few hundred meters away, sometimes they get teleported dozens of km away.

If you don't plan to go into that sector ever again and you want to use the towers as effective point defense, you can dump as many as you want on the same spot. Clusters of 25+ will last a long time, even against Cap ships.

If you plan on using that sector yourself, it's better to lay them in grids or lines near where you expect enemies to be. I've found that if you space them out 500 meters apart, the game will not move them out of place ever. I often will put around 8-16 towers in small lines just outside gates of sectors I'm trying to colonize, mostly to deal with the random pirate attacks, not enough to wipe out cap ship invasions but enough to swat all the M5-M3 away and an M6 now and then. A ring surrounding the gate, followed by some trailing lines that follow the same path ships exiting, and perhaps a few lasers behind the gate, will obliterate even the toughest ships quickly when you are IS - they will all start firing even before the ship has finished exiting, so for cases where multiple cap ships are coming through, they get picked off 1 by 1.

Bill Huntington
x3tc

LT tactics

Post by Bill Huntington » Wed, 28. Jan 15, 21:48

LT don't scatter from each other IS but from something else they are close to, like a Station or a Gate. They don't scatter until you come IS. If you are concerned with scattering, save and check right away.

I've used LTs in blocks of 100 against the Xenon and they work just fine against all targets. There is one big and one little problem with LTs. The big problem is red pirates. If you deploy LTs at a gate or in a major traffic lane, it will kill red pirates. Then all pirates are the enemy. Then your pirate rating goes to hell and more and more pirates are red and then aggressive against you everywhere. And there is no way to change the settings of LTs to stop it. The key setting is 'Show as enemy if enemy to me'. It has to be changed to No for each LT individually. The minor problem is that you don't get credit for the kills.

I use LTs outside the regular traffic lanes. I draw the enemy of choice to the LTs by including 3 or more Sats within them. Xenon and some enemies attack to destroy the Sats and then get into it with the LTs.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

mc74
x4

Post by mc74 » Thu, 29. Jan 15, 09:28

Guys, thanks for the tips.
Yeah, I produce them in huge w\s\m complex (keris and LTs).
Its not about money any more, I have around 800 mills, its just what to do with them... :)
Gonna sell Keri's with some ship, as suggested, didn't think of that, and play some with placing LTs... :twisted:

Cheers! :)

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Thu, 29. Jan 15, 12:02

Keep the drones. Pack 100 of them onto a ship. That ship becomes a mini-carrier.
Practically every one of my large ships has that many drones onboard.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”