X3TC - joystick problems - resolved by calibration

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Lea Flamma
x3tc

X3TC - joystick problems - resolved by calibration

Post by Lea Flamma » Sun, 1. Feb 15, 12:31

I have recently purchased a new joystick, as my old one went to the joystick heavens.

Right now I have several issues with it. The previous one was easy, as I didn't have to change any ingame settings to use it properly.

The new one is giving me troubles. So point by point.

1. It tends to block in a left side turn. The ship will load static, but the first left turn will lock it in a constant turning motion, even when the joystick is centered. I do hope it's a software malfunction.

2. The engines tend to go to 18 m/s even when the thruster is set to 0. It's not a big issue, as I intend to disable it either way, backing to keyboard with speed controlls. But I thought it worth mentioning.

3. What's the way to set up ingame settings? So far I discovered that sensitivity changes the speed of turning, while the second %-setting is forcing stronger tilts of the joystick for the ship to move. Anything else I need to keep track of?
Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 1. Feb 15, 14:19

Perhaps if you said what your new stick and its driver version actually was then other users of it would be able to advise you better.

Your issues sound a lot like poor stick pre-calibration and dead-zone set-up to me, but then I am no stick expert. Also check for conflicting, cancelling or continuous control signals from any new buttons or sliders on the stick.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Lea Flamma
x3tc

Post by Lea Flamma » Sun, 1. Feb 15, 14:53

Model: Genius MaxFighter F-16U
Drivers: 6.1.7601.18199 by Microsoft (checked for latest update)
Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Wed, 4. Feb 15, 17:54

This is a common issue and I find the best way to deal with it is to calibrate your joystick using the available tools in your controller settings. Not the control panel and definitely not in game.

Lea Flamma
x3tc

Post by Lea Flamma » Thu, 5. Feb 15, 18:18

Dummy me. Windows calibration solved the problem. Now I have to calibrate it in game to fit my style. Thanks for the help, love you guys.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”