Can I get away with over committing complex resources?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gazzonyx
x3

Can I get away with over committing complex resources?

Post by Gazzonyx » Sun, 1. Feb 15, 15:46

Is it possible to "over commit" complex resources if some of my products are expected to become full thereby stopping some factories from producing? Or do factories that aren't producing due to the complex being fully stocked still use energy?

I ask because I have a large complex with 3 XL SPP and a quarter million ecells sitting at any given time, give or take. I was thinking that I could add a few < 26 yield mines since once the ore is full, the mines will shut down and the energy stores will replenish until someone buys the ore and they turn back on; ore really doesn't sell that fast where I'm at. I really just needed to move the 'roids and since I had to buy them, I figured I might as well use them.

Then I began thinking, that I could actually do this with a lot of things that don't sell well, but I need from time to time. I can trade off time and energy now while I have spare and make it up while things are sitting.

Is this a valid strategy, or is there a mechanic that I'm not aware of in this scheme?

Lea Flamma
x3tc

Post by Lea Flamma » Sun, 1. Feb 15, 16:38

Energy is used every time a factory starts a cycle. So if it's fully stacked on goods and is not producing, the energy won't be used up.

Gazzonyx
x3

Post by Gazzonyx » Sun, 1. Feb 15, 17:29

Nice. Now I just have to figure out how much for how long I can extend my fuel supply.

I guess I could also dump reserves from another complex with my stand-by refuel ship since it mostly sits around waiting for my TL to need jump fuel. Then again, I could use the internal CLS software. Too many options. :)

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Sun, 1. Feb 15, 18:10

If you are just looking for someplace to store your excess e-cells, put two Wheat L together in a complex. They will hold as much energy as an SPP XL but at a much cheaper cost. Wheat always sells nicely, or you can just turn off the production is you want.

Protein Paste and Carbo Cakes could do the same thing in Terran space as well as provided needed bio products for Terran production.

But really, why do you want to keep large surpluses of anything? That just ties up credits you could use for other things like big ass ships to rule the verse. There's always a shortage of resources once you get out of core sectors, even a shortage in core sectors just because of the way AI supply works. Pick what ware it is you want to have in the future, then find and feed those stations for profit and building the supply you want.

Gazzonyx
x3

Post by Gazzonyx » Sun, 1. Feb 15, 19:25

So, what happened in this case is that I'm doing the HQ quest and cranking out a metric crap tonne of crystals right now. I setup base in the Ore Belt because I need a lot of silicon.

Unfortunately, I've got extra resources that I'd like to sell, but it looks like the AI is having trouble pathing when I'm in sector (which sucks because I'm doing mining company jobs while waiting for the 250K crystals to bake and I'm in the sector a lot) due to all the asteroids. This is also a problem since I need my CLS pilots to dock, without blowing themselves up, to transfer the crystals to the Xeon Hub.

I decided to just move them (also the engine decided to place a mine right next to my complex docking station and I was afraid it might start using the other asteroids by the docking station), but it seemed like, since I had to buy all of these mines to move the 'roids, I might as well use them since I've got 3 XL SPPs cranking away while I add stations and ~200K energy cells sitting there. That being said, I don't want to micromanage them. So, if they could just crank out silicon and ore and then shutoff before I run out of energy, that'd be ideal because I can use them after this part of the mission is over. Free resources are the best resources. :)

Does this seem like a logical way to handle it, or should I just sell the energy cells and blow up the mines that have a yield of like 10? I'm not sure I understand what you mean about using 2 L wheat for energy? You mean they make enough to buy the cells that an XL would provide?

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Sun, 1. Feb 15, 20:41

Two Wheat L hold the same amount of energy as 1 SPP XL, So if you just want to burn off e-cells to make more, you could set up that wheat complex someplace else for faster e-cell deliver to other stations and NPCs.

The heavy traffic associated with the mining and crystal/chip production is why it's recommended to set those up in sectors you rarely visit. As that's no longer an option for you, then you need to avoid Ore Belt as much as possible. Leave the Corp missions there alone for the time being and work on other Corp missions or other plots. Anything that will get you out of Ore Belt and keep you out.

Forget about doing anything with those small yield asteroids. They aren't worth touching for the amount of money needed to get them up and running. They'd just bring more traffic in anyway.

One thing you can do to try to alleviate the collision factor when you are in sector is to send a horde of mobile miners there to try to clear of the number of rocks. It will take a long time, but it will generate a lot of minerals you can use or sell.

Gazzonyx
x3

Post by Gazzonyx » Tue, 3. Feb 15, 02:22

These are great tips (I've never read about the not putting your chip/crystal complexes in sectors you spend a lot of time in, but it makes sense now that I'm in that situation!)! Thank you! :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”