very 1st PT advice

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

PaladinMJ
x3tc

very 1st PT advice

Post by PaladinMJ » Sun, 15. Feb 15, 06:35

I'm about to start an X:TC pt, tried x before but got overwhelmed and frustrated So i am asking the pro's for advice.

i have no real experience with x please keep that i mind

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Sun, 15. Feb 15, 07:02

What is pt?

PaladinMJ
x3tc

Post by PaladinMJ » Sun, 15. Feb 15, 07:42

sorry, by pt i meant playthrough

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Sun, 15. Feb 15, 14:30

www.x3wiki.com - contains all the info on stats and the like.
http://roguey.co.uk/x3tc/ - guides and some differently layered info. DPS is a terrible and useless stat when it comes to X games. As it is in most cases when you truly get down to it but more so in X case.
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=162408 - in this VERY SUBFORUM. Index for the the guides. And yes you have absolutely no excuse for not looking at stickie that says "The Ultimate X resource and guide list".
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

PaladinMJ
x3tc

Post by PaladinMJ » Mon, 16. Feb 15, 01:47

indeed you are correct there is no excuse for not reading that sticky, which I have done.
I was asking for some more generic how to get started the guides I understood but some of that was a lot over my head. But thank you for the links I'll look through make sure that I didn't miss anything it's great you took time out of your schedule to reply to me I appreciate it.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Mon, 16. Feb 15, 03:53

On the stickied list there's a thing called a handbook by Apricot Slice. It is a compilation guide that will probably have parts that go over your head at first, but as you start playing, learn enough to ask questions, look back at handbook, rinse and repeat you will probably find that it can catch you up to a fairly thorough knowledge base. The advantage of the compilation is that if you don't quite catch one explanation you have the same thing covered in another player's words right there. That was my primary source for a long time.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

lighters
x4

Post by lighters » Mon, 16. Feb 15, 11:48

Agreed, for the general "new player, where do I even start?" questions, the Handbook is the best source. It has several entry level guides for trading and fighting playstyles and general tips about start of the game. After that it digs deeper into more complex areas, which you can read as the need arises.

It also has the plot walkthrough.

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Mon, 16. Feb 15, 14:36

PaladinMJ wrote:indeed you are correct there is no excuse for not reading that sticky, which I have done.
I was asking for some more generic how to get started the guides I understood but some of that was a lot over my head. But thank you for the links I'll look through make sure that I didn't miss anything it's great you took time out of your schedule to reply to me I appreciate it.
<3 lol
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

PaladinMJ
x3tc

Post by PaladinMJ » Tue, 17. Feb 15, 02:12

i have started reading the handbook, thanks guys

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Tue, 17. Feb 15, 17:29

Just keep in mind that apricotslice's guides are extremely "altered" games. He uses a lot of "cheat" mods for equipment, and essentially uses a number of built-in "exploits" in the game as well. While there is a lot of sound advice mixed in, you can't consider it as a "vanilla" game experience.

The nice thing about the game is that there are more than a few ways to play it, which satisfies a wide range of players. One of the more awkward things about the game is that there are more than a few ways to play it, which makes a simple guide or playthrough only applicable to a small portion of the players.

Whatever works for you.

PaladinMJ
x3tc

Post by PaladinMJ » Tue, 17. Feb 15, 23:09

is there a place to get a better description of the scripts you can buy in game? Especially how they work i.e. what they do? I assume mk2 is an upgrade to mk1?

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Wed, 18. Feb 15, 00:11

The in game Encyclopedia may be what you are looking for.

Personal -> Advanced -> Encyclopedia

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Wed, 18. Feb 15, 08:34

Hi,
PaladinMJ wrote:is there a place to get a better description of the scripts you can buy in game? Especially how they work i.e. what they do? I assume mk2 is an upgrade to mk1?
have you even played the game before?

Mk2 is mostly a different variant, not an upgrade. But it depends on the specific software. F.e. Turbo Boost Mk2 is for large ships, Mk1 for smaller ones

cu
Rainer

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Wed, 18. Feb 15, 16:01

PaladinMJ wrote:is there a place to get a better description of the scripts you can buy in game? Especially how they work i.e. what they do? I assume mk2 is an upgrade to mk1?
Depending on the exact software package, Mk.I may be an improvement, or may be for a different purpose. Mk.II Trade and Fight software provide several different commands than their Mk.I counterparts, so you may want to buy both in some cases, and sometimes just one or the other. For example, the Fight Mk.II software package includes several turret commands for "Missile Defense" or "Missiles Only", which either prioritizes missiles but will attack other targets (and then IGNORE missiles until that target is gone), or will dedicate itself to shooting down missiles and ignore all other targets. Sometimes you want one, sometimes the other. The nuances and details are important in a lot of cases, and it's not exactly clear what the implications are from the descriptions.

Sadly, the documentation and detailed descriptions in the in-game library are either obsolete (some unchanged from earlier game versions, even though the item has changed) or incomplete, so you only get a few tidbits about what they actually do, and the rest has to be looked up or asked here on the forums.

PaladinMJ
x3tc

Post by PaladinMJ » Thu, 19. Feb 15, 06:40

i have not, this is my 1st game of longer than 1-2 hours

PaladinMJ
x3tc

Post by PaladinMJ » Thu, 19. Feb 15, 06:45

lya i'm noticing this, the help doesn't include much..

bte i am now 6-7 hours into a humble merchant start, i won't embarass myself telling how long it took me to sell the little discoverer lo

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Fri, 20. Feb 15, 06:56

Hi,

I was puzzled by the term "playthrough" you used in the beginning. Is doesn't sound right applied to the games of the x series.
PaladinMJ wrote:lya i'm noticing this, the help doesn't include much..

bte i am now 6-7 hours into a humble merchant start, i won't embarass myself telling how long it took me to sell the little discoverer lo
expect at least a hundred hours (real game time) before you know most of the game's nooks and crannies. Don't expect to master them by then.

For a quicker game start:
* Find the abandoned ships; sell most of the weapons and buy a used freighter or several of them.
* Get a fast ship (Teladi Harpyie or one of the found M4s) to map sectors and put a satellite in each. Then you can
* equip a freighter with jump drive, and the Teladi best buy/best sell software and have it trade silicone.
* try to improve your reputation with ALL factions and races (with missions). The better your overall reputation the less ships you'll lose unexpectedly.

cu
Rainer

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Fri, 20. Feb 15, 10:58

Most nooks and crannies in 100 hours? Bwahahaha. Not going to happen :P

You dump a thousand, go to forum to talk about something and then someone will mention something that will blow your mind away and for the next few hours you will sit there scratching your head and asking yourself how the bloody hell you didn't know about this.

Anyway. Not sure what this "help" is but if you are referring to manual then throw it away. Manual was bad for every last X game to date. Tsk. It's like some kind of bad joke at this point.

Use wiki for quick info. If what you are looking for not there then check guides index. If that fails too then just ask. Sometimes ask anyway...

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Fri, 20. Feb 15, 16:09

Despite husazul's slightly abrasive and abusive delivery, his statements are pretty much on the money. 1000 hours is barely enough to figure out most of the basics, but even after 2000+ hours, you're still going to have features that you know next to nothing about, and others that you think you understand completely still do things on occasion to remind you that you've got it only half-right.

The forum and wiki are a lot more accurate and informative than the tutorial, manual, or in-game encyclopedia.

Good luck, fun, and "profitttssssss".

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”