Need help modifying weapon

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

ProdigyToby

Need help modifying weapon

Post by ProdigyToby » Sun, 22. Feb 15, 06:56

Im using X3 Editor to modify tlasers and tbullet accordingly, and im also using the mars t file so that it uses my custom weapons and i have had no issues getting it to work with the custom lasers i have made so far, but I cannot figure out what is going on with this particular weapon.

All I have done is modified a gauss weapon and increased its speed and lifetime in tbullets to an extent where the effective range would be around 60km. Im only using this custom bullet entry with a custome laser entry and pairing them up accordingly, and putting that into mars as usual which appears to work with my other custom weapons.

However, in game this weapon will not fire beyond 15-20km and I cant figure out why. it certainly does fire but mars has trouble using it at its effective range of around 50km. Is mars just not able to use weapons that have this range or speed, or maybe its because the laser im using is a modified gauss tlaser entry or something I just cant figure it out. Any advice or help would be appreciated. Also Im looking for modding resources having to do with custom weapons and weapon effects/particles. Once again thanks. :)

Edit: also what are some ways to increase the accuracy of a weapon?

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sun, 22. Feb 15, 09:26

The game has some hard-coded limits on bullet range, presumably to control the number of bullets in flight, which is the single most important performance factor during large battles.

I don't know the exact rules, and I do know that MARS bends the rules slightly.

I am surprised that you got 15-20km range, TBH. I would have expected a hard limit closer to 10km.

So consider yourself lucky.

ProdigyToby

Post by ProdigyToby » Tue, 24. Feb 15, 21:04

Thats interesting, I never knew about a range limit like that, this is the first weapon i have tried using in game that has a range very much past that limit. It does appear to fire within the 15km range I have seen for sure, but its pretty damn inaccurate. Thanks for the information!

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”