What is the best way to auto-explore and place satellites for network

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Timmy_BB

What is the best way to auto-explore and place satellites for network

Post by Timmy_BB » Sun, 1. Mar 15, 20:41

Haven't played for a long time and decided to revisit the universe. Playing X3AP with bonus pack and no mods to start. Planning to start as a humble merchant and build a local map from scratch.

I remember there is exploration software that I will use on speedy M5 with triplex scanner. What is the optimal way to configure that software to find all the gates and stations (and random abandoned ships, if possible) without wasting too much time? I remember something about setting up for 999 but that seemed to take forever and was never clear whether that actually found everything or not.

Also, what is the best way to position satellites and/or advanced satellites to optimize coverage in sector without requiring multiple satellites? Will remote traders be able to find prices in sectors without satellite coverage - was never really clear on how that worked...

sithneverdiealone

Post by sithneverdiealone » Sun, 1. Mar 15, 21:08

i use the universe explorer script and the blackbird ship (400mj no wepon m3)
Peace thru Superior Corporate Management... and 47 fully loaded Valhallas.

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Sun, 1. Mar 15, 23:43

I think all that's needed is an M5 with Triplex scanner, Explorer Software, Navigation Software. I've had the explorer automatically map after flying through a gate, but most of the time I'd have to give the Map Sector command. I begin the mapping at the center of the sector and enter 40 as the parameter. For most sectors, this gets everything I need to see, minus pirate bases that are further out.

For some sectors, it's necessary to divide the sector into 4 quadrants, sometimes more, and map each quadrant separately.

It's not perfect, but it gets the job done for me, and it's all vanilla.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 2. Mar 15, 23:37

In order to get the ship to autoexplore after entering a new sector, you need to have a pilot assigned to the ship. Their are two easy ways to do that. Take it to an Argon equipment dock, or the trading station in Herron's Nebula, and buy CLS II software. Then tell it to do external logistics. That gives it a pilot. Or you can simply assign it to one of your factories, assuming you have one, and give it the CAG assignment. You'll need the Bonus Pack installed to do either of these.

There is another way, and that's to buy the very expensive Trade Command Mk III software, at 500K, and start it as a sector trader. But that's a bit pricey for what you want to do.

Anyway, no matter which way you choose, once you get a pilot onboard, just issue the explore command and off it'll go.
ancienthighway wrote:....
For some sectors, it's necessary to divide the sector into 4 quadrants, sometimes more, and map each quadrant separately....
Why? Just give it a bigger range. I generally look at where the gates are placed, and tell it to explore a radius a few km farther than the furthest gate. The only times you need to do it multiple times in a sector is it's a large sector with stations/asteroids more than 25-30m above the ecliptic plane, and then you need to add higher and/or lower levels, such as in Aldrin and many of the Terran sectors.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Tue, 3. Mar 15, 13:03

Nanook wrote:Anyway, no matter which way you choose, once you get a pilot onboard, just issue the explore command and off it'll go.
Didn't know that. What does he do ? Does he really explore the sector ? Or does it 'insta-explore' the sector showing all stations at once ?
In other words : what does "autoexplore" mean in your first sentence ?

Timmy_BB

Post by Timmy_BB » Tue, 3. Mar 15, 14:41

I bought the explore software and started my discover exploring before you mentioned CLS II. I have been selecting sectors and mapping/scanning asteroids by individual command. So if I understand correctly, CLS II will provide a smart pilot who doesn't require commands for each sector?

Is there an in-game way to tell how big a sector really is? I see some numbers in the sector map, but they change as I zoom in and out. I'm really just looking to position my satellites and find any unclaimed ships based on range rather than just eyeballing things.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 3. Mar 15, 19:47

zazie wrote:
Nanook wrote:Anyway, no matter which way you choose, once you get a pilot onboard, just issue the explore command and off it'll go.
Didn't know that. What does he do ? Does he really explore the sector ? Or does it 'insta-explore' the sector showing all stations at once ?
In other words : what does "autoexplore" mean in your first sentence ?
The pilot will act the same as if you gave the order, i.e., move to the center of the sector and then fly a square grid pattern to some default range. In most cases, the exploration radius is a bit less than I'd normally give them, but they do seem to find most of the objects in most sectors. They do have a problem with the largest sectors, though, often missing stations and gates near the edge of the sector.

Once it's explored a sector, it will stop and let you know, assuming you have notifications turned on in its command console. It won't automatically pick the next sector to explore. But all you have to do each time is tell it to fly through a gate, and it'll then explore that sector. Basically, it saves you the time needed to tell it how much of a sector to explore.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Tue, 3. Mar 15, 20:50

Timmy_BB wrote:I have been selecting sectors and mapping/scanning asteroids by individual command.
Don't have the explorer scan asteroids. Pick up scan asteroid missions and make some credits and gain some rep in the process. Explorers will not remember the position of unclaimed ships. Just like normal traffic, ships are visible only if you have something in range of it.

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Thu, 5. Mar 15, 07:22

This is neither fast nor cheap, but it is through. I have 13 Kestrels with Triplex Scanners and Expedition software installed. They will map a sector at 50km vertical intervals all the way out to the maximum extent of the sector. Not all sectors reach 300km in radius, so some mappers don't get used. Once they finish a sector, the top mapper (always the 300km one, no matter the actual height) will drop a nav sat that I will rename to "swept" to mark the sector as fully mapped.
I am aware that it's a matter of luck whether I just happen to watch the sector as they come across an unclaimed ship, but I hope this picks up hidden crates at least.

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Thu, 5. Mar 15, 12:36

Nanook wrote:..
Thanks ! Will use it, could become part of my 'standard-actions in early game'.
Until now I used an Express with about 40 NavSats onboard plus ECs and sent it manually into new sectors (fly to position ...). After reporting I ordered the Express to put a NavSat and gave the next order.
If a sector was not revealed yet, I used the "follow"-command or the "fly to sector" to reveal the sectors between start- and end-point.

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Thu, 5. Mar 15, 13:48

Hi,
zazie wrote:Thanks ! Will use it, could become part of my 'standard-actions in early game'.
Until now I used an Express with about 40 NavSats onboard plus ECs and sent it manually into new sectors (fly to position ...). After reporting I ordered the Express to put a NavSat and gave the next order.
If a sector was not revealed yet, I used the "follow"-command or the "fly to sector" to reveal the sectors between start- and end-point.
note that for all sectors you plan to build complexes in you'd better drop an Advanced Satellite with the video function.

cu
Rainer

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”