X3 Reunion: Old Retail Saves Crashes Before Being Loaded in Steam

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Daiko Tatsumoto

X3 Reunion: Old Retail Saves Crashes Before Being Loaded in Steam

Post by Daiko Tatsumoto » Thu, 5. Mar 15, 14:47

I bought the retail version of X3 a couple of years back. Played it, loved it. Then I bought the steam version from humble bundle's Egosoft bundle. Recently I upgraded from XP to windows 7 and saved the most recent retail save file.

I have the latest patch (2.5) and the latest bonus package which I originally downloaded from this site and later from steam. I might be missing some scripts but I can't remember which I had originally.

I can find the save file, but upon starting it it crashes before it loads completely.

My question is this: Is it even possible to transfer retail saves to steam saves safely and if yes, how?

Could it be I am missing some scripts. I remember downloading some, again, can't remember which.

I would seriously hate losing the 200 hours of work I put in to creating an empire.

Thank you in advance.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 5. Mar 15, 15:14

Yes, you can load older savegames into the latest Steam version. The problem will be caused by your missing scripts, and I'm afraid there's not much we can do to help you with that.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 5. Mar 15, 15:16

Retail vanilla saves (any version) to Steam vanilla saves are no problem at all; they even live in the same places in your Documents folder.

Modified saves to Steam vanilla could well be a big problem as not only do the third party scripts and mods embedded in the saves need to be installed in the Steam gamefiles but also they need to work with the latest updated game version.

That all said, there is also the possibility that your previous save has been corrupted, encrypted or compressed in the move and reinstall for the upgraded OS.

EDIT: Ninja'd by CBJ. :oops:
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”