Quick turrets question

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

OuterSpaceApe
xr

Quick turrets question

Post by OuterSpaceApe » Fri, 6. Mar 15, 19:20

Sorry I have to make a thread for this but I could not find anything with the search feature.

Basically I just need to know how to defend myself against missiles. I'm playing X3 AP as the Argon defender or whatever the first character is called.
I use the "shift C" command and have tried setting all 3 of my turrets to the settings "defend missiles only" as well as "missiles" or something close to that, but I have stilled died on the 3rd mission repeatedly.

What am I missing here? Thank you!

Wemheuer
x3tc

Post by Wemheuer » Fri, 6. Mar 15, 19:26

I would like to suggest you install, if not already done, the bonus package from here: http://www.egosoft.com/download/x3ap/bonus_en.php
and use the Missile Defense Mosquito. Be sure you have enough mosquitos on board.
But be aware: In warsectors under heavily missile spamming enemies the missile defense system is not wonderwoman -.-

OuterSpaceApe
xr

Post by OuterSpaceApe » Fri, 6. Mar 15, 19:57

Thank you for the reply! I think I already have that installed but I will make sure.
What are my 3 turrets then? They are different from my main weapons right?

Wemheuer
x3tc

Post by Wemheuer » Fri, 6. Mar 15, 20:13

The turrets have mostly the same weapons possibility as the main weapons.
But that depends on the ship(class) you fly. If you fly a M3 or M4 it's possible that the weapons in turrets doesn't have enough firepower to destroy all missiles. If you fly M6 or higher classes it should be no problem for turrets to destroy missiles. There are some more differences in all these things. But for be more exactly it's a too long time ago i've played X3AP :)

I suggest you take a look here:
http://seizewell.de/x3ap/schiffe/ships.php
and here:
http://seizewell.de/x3ap/waffentabelle.php
to get a overview what possibilities there are.

OuterSpaceApe
xr

Post by OuterSpaceApe » Sat, 7. Mar 15, 01:46

Okay! Thank you very much for the help again it is appreciated :D

WishmasterSR

Post by WishmasterSR » Sat, 7. Mar 15, 23:24

There is a possibility to customize the turret setting in the game menu. I personally go for a setting similar to Missile defence:

1. Defend against missiles (highest priority of obvious reasons)
2. Protect Ship (attacks those who attack me)
3. Attack enemies (I am an aggressive player :P )

Install the bonus package so that you can turn the turrets off at will with ease. Also remember you need Fighting command software MK2 for some commands to work. Last but not least, mount weapons to those turrets. Fast firing turrets are best for missile defense. You want to go for something with high rate of fire + decent projectile speed.

I found this setting usually quite sufficient and I rarely carry mosquito missiles as they take up space and have to be mounted to work. In dangerous situations you want to be shooting other missiles anyway, I believe.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Sun, 8. Mar 15, 07:54

MDM: No you don't have to have mosquitos selected they will fire all by themselves though they will prevent you firing your choice of missile whilst they are actually firing.

WishmasterSR

Post by WishmasterSR » Sun, 8. Mar 15, 08:50

My point exactly

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Sun, 8. Mar 15, 14:28

Wishmaster:

My point was that you can still fire your missiles of choice even with MDM just not continuously.

WishmasterSR

Post by WishmasterSR » Sun, 8. Mar 15, 14:51

How? When I activate MDM it automatically installs mosquito missiles into my missile slot which prevents me from using other missiles...

Also I haven't figured out how the missile turrets work. They seem to always have the same missile mounted even though a ship has two missile turrets and there is nothing I can do about it :/

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Sun, 8. Mar 15, 16:50

Wishmaster:

A turret does not fire missiles except on an M7M. Check your ship info page to check what weapons your turrets can actually mount. On a Cobra for example the front two turrets can fire Mosquito's, Flails pods or Hammer heavy torpedoes with ISR's or similar in the rear two turrets which you can set to missile defence. Check the bottom left corner of the screen Missiles are shown as lower left with front player controlled turrets displayed above them normally 6-10 turrets.

Also I have never heard of MDM activation Loading a turret with missiles unless they are the only compatible missiles you have,or your game is modded or you have a bad install.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Mon, 9. Mar 15, 02:38

If you expend all of a missile type, the game defaults to Mosquitoes. MDM doesn't use the standard launch mechanism, and can fire even when you've got something else selected.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Master of the Blade
x3tc

Post by Master of the Blade » Mon, 9. Mar 15, 20:40

You're probably flying the freebie Centaur if you have 3 turrets.

The Centaur has only a single HEPT in each turret, and tends to attract torpedoes which take several HEPT shots to shoot down, while being fired in large numbers. While your turrets are enough to defend you against a few, they aren't an infallible missile screen.

Mosquito missile defence as has been suggested is a great supplement, automatically firing the extremely cheap mosquito missiles at any number of incoming missiles even if you have a different missile selected. However, despite being really good at its job, the mosquitoes sometimes miss and waste time orbiting their target, often letting it through.

The best way to never get killed by missiles, torpedoes in particular, is learning to spot them on your gravidar and manoeuvre to simply dodge them so your defences have more time to shoot them down. Even the relatively sluggish Centaur can do this pretty reliably.
Allergic to work.

If at first you don't succeed, delegate the job to a minion.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”