Mosquito Defense, (C) option ??

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Mosquito Defense, (C) option ??

Post by Bill Huntington » Sun, 22. Mar 15, 19:59

I've wondered about Mosquito Defense. There are two choices. One has a (C) after it. That is the Convoy option. I've tried it for a while, and it defends my personal ship okay. The idea seems to be that it will also defend your nearby ships from missile attacks on them. I haven't observed that it works.

Have any pilots seen this command working? to protect nearby ships besides your own? If it works, does it also work for a ship that is not your personal ship?

Thanks.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

Timsup2nothin

Re: Mosquito Defense, (C) option ??

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sun, 22. Mar 15, 20:19

Bill Huntington wrote:I've wondered about Mosquito Defense. There are two choices. One has a (C) after it. That is the Convoy option. I've tried it for a while, and it defends my personal ship okay. The idea seems to be that it will also defend your nearby ships from missile attacks on them. I haven't observed that it works.

Have any pilots seen this command working? to protect nearby ships besides your own? If it works, does it also work for a ship that is not your personal ship?

Thanks.
Isn't that meant to be used on AI ships? As in, turn it on in the carrier loaded with a massive pile of mosquitoes and it will protect the fighter wings for the duration of the combat where they wouldn't have enough cargo space to defend themselves...since the system burns through mosquitoes at a truly astonishing pace.

Try having a TM loaded with mosquitoes follow you into combat and see if it works.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Sun, 22. Mar 15, 21:50

I can't say that I've tried this, but I think what you are missing is the convoy part. The lead ship has MDM(C) turned on and then would protect any ships following it. Just being in the area with another ship doesn't cut it. Following the protected ship doesn't work. I don't know if protect ship would even work.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 22. Mar 15, 22:16

When in doubt, I try to read the manual. Both the X3TC and X3AP BP documentation say:

"The command “Missile Defense Mosquito Convoy”, also in the Additional
Ship Command menu, allows one ship to protect itself and
it’s followers. This requires the following ships be using the navigation
command “Follow..” or fight command “Protect..”"
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sun, 22. Mar 15, 23:38

Alan Phipps wrote:When in doubt, I try to read the manual. Both the X3TC and X3AP BP documentation say:

"The command “Missile Defense Mosquito Convoy”, also in the Additional
Ship Command menu, allows one ship to protect itself and
it’s followers. This requires the following ships be using the navigation
command “Follow..” or fight command “Protect..”"
Counterintuitive, but I get it.

When I set up fighter groups I use a leader, then assign a couple to attack target of and another couple on protect, then do the same for each of those, rinse and repeat until the final layer which are all on protect. Intuitively, I would have put the protect convoy mosquitoes on the ships assigned to protect, when actually I should put it on the ships being protected.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Thanks.

Post by Bill Huntington » Mon, 23. Mar 15, 02:36

Thanks all. Alan, you are a font of pertinent info, as usual.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 23. Mar 15, 17:32

Counterintuitive, yes, but the game's view on what a "formation" is and does sets technical limits. Signals, hooks, interrupts. As for name of the command, I have no idea whether the original german name is any more intuitive.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”