Beta testing......Part 1

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Steel
x4

Beta testing......Part 1

Post by Steel » Wed, 19. Feb 03, 13:43

Hi all,

A little text below. I thought I would do this kinda thing for X-News (and for you on here), so let me know what you think. Also, BurnIt! has asked me to write something describing the plot of X2 for the next edition of X-News, so I best get that done :-)

Also my inbox has got various requests from websites etc that I need to get back to and one last thing, the Sci-Fi channel (Sky or cable) have asked for information. They want to run a slot on X2. Btw: Did you know that Bernd already did a spot on Giga TV in Germany? There is pictures of it somewhere (i'll have to dig them out).

Cheers,

Steel

********************** Text below **********************

I fire up the icon, a quick double click and the familiar loading window opens, but this time the X2 logo appears on the screen. The wording of “The Threat” is in German, but that’s because this is a recent Beta build and such details are not important yet.

I un-tick the “Use Settings” box and a brief delay (a few seconds) and the menu appears on the screen. Behind the backdrop of the menu text is a space scene, but not a static picture, it’s alive with a space station (looks like a shipyard to me) in the foreground and the tumbling movement of asteroids in the void. I can see a ship in the distance, the trails from its engines leaving a fading glow like the movement of a light sabre as it makes its way on some unknown journey.

The ship looks big; a need to jump into a cockpit and skim its surface encroaches itself on my mind. I can see what looks like a radar structure rotating on the vessel as it glides along and the blinking of navigation lights and then it’s gone, out of my field of view. The sweet feeling of anticipation is rising; it’s time to see for myself.

I select the menu and a series of pictures greets me (the loading screen) and then I am in, the familiar feeling of a cockpit surrounding me as I glance at the instrument panel. A few displays look immediately recognisable, shields, lasers, speed and so on, together with type of missile selected and the new hull damage indicator. It’s certainly different, but instantly familiar. I feel at home.

My right hand wraps itself around the handle of my flight stick and the anticipation level notches another bar. The earlier Alpha code I played around with didn’t have support for joystick and it may be a personal preference, but how I missed that immersion! Manoeuvring my ship with the mouse feels like driving a car with power steering that is too light and doesn’t seem to give the feedback to the driver. I am sure you know what I mean and when the rodent gets pushed off the mat in the heat of battle……..

Little pushes of the stick, left, right, up and down and the view moves around smoothly. I can’t wait any longer, I pull the trigger and the twin lasers spurt out a quick salvo into the blackness. The cockpit lights as the energy bolts stream away and I realise I had better stop playing with the weapons systems until I know where I am and who and what is around me.

I press a few buttons and the image of my craft is superimposed on the screen before me with its statistics and capabilities outlined alongside. The view of space is still there beyond me. I like that, I can keep my eye on the local happenings while I divulge the information about the ship.

Argon Nova. That’s the name of the ship. It’s a relatively small craft with four protruding lengths that house the offensive systems. I want a closer inspection, so I exit the computer system and launch an external camera droid. The ship looks magnificent; starlight bounces of its metallic hull as I dart around it. A reflective glare from the cockpit flashes as I sweep around its body.

Wait! There appears to be another cockpit like structure on the rear of the ship. I switch back to my internal view and into the rear seat. A laser turret! My movement on the stick is now pushing the rear-mounted weapon back and forth as the ship stays where I left it. A squeeze of the trigger and the lower power, but faster firing laser, shoots out a stream of fire. I sweep the stick around making gleeful patterns and I can hear Han Solo shouting, “Good shot kid!” in my mind. The pirates are going to be in for a little surprise with this baby!

Then as I settle back into my flight seat and push the stick to the right, the screen is filled with the beautiful view of the planet, Argon Prime. I can see the landmass below the swirling clouds and the faint glow of the outer atmosphere on the edge of the globe. Before me is the large bulk of what looks like a station, navigation and warning likes flickering. I point my ship towards the dark mass and engage the thrusters. The ship begins to accelerate towards the unknown structure and I catch a glimpse on my radar of an approaching ship……..

Beta Test part 2 can be found here: http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3924

Grimm

Post by Grimm » Wed, 19. Feb 03, 13:49

:)... - That's me drooling :)

Gandalf The White
x3

Post by Gandalf The White » Wed, 19. Feb 03, 13:50

Nice bit of work there. So Sci-fi want's to do a slot on X2? Now that will bbe good.
some who deserve life receive death. Others who deserve death receive life. Can you give it to them? Don't be eager to deal out death in judgement, for not even the wise can see all ends.

Scarecrow
x4

Post by Scarecrow » Wed, 19. Feb 03, 13:51

Very nice

I'm ready!

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Wed, 19. Feb 03, 13:53

thanks steel. Looking forward to more.

Al
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

carran
x4

Post by carran » Wed, 19. Feb 03, 13:55

I'd like to be the first to say there's not enough content, c'mon you can do more! :D :D :D

But then I'd be completely ungrateful and never satisfied

Keep it coming!

crunn
x4

Post by crunn » Wed, 19. Feb 03, 13:59

Wooooooooooooowwwwww. Dude !!!!!

What is it that Sci-Fi want to do ?
(a full TV ad ? )
(or a mention on a games review show ? )
(or something else ? )

Steel
x4

Post by Steel » Wed, 19. Feb 03, 14:03

crunn wrote:Wooooooooooooowwwwww. Dude !!!!!

(a full TV ad ? )
(or something else ? )
Quotes from them.

"I am currently working on SFG, Sci Fi's own computer game show. The show includes reviews, previews, competitions, cheats and features."

"We are very keen to feature X2: The Threat in the show ...."

hth

Steel

crunn
x4

Post by crunn » Wed, 19. Feb 03, 14:09

Steel wrote:Quotes from them.

"I am currently working on SFG, Sci Fi's own computer game show. The show includes reviews, previews, competitions, cheats and features."

hth

Steel
Excellent !!

That will be some good publicity for X2.

Tiberian Commander
x3tc

Post by Tiberian Commander » Wed, 19. Feb 03, 14:22

That's very good, and is there force feed back on the stick say like you go near a big ship's engines and you feel it through the stick.

Will you notify us on a sticky when it's to be shown on Sci Fi or on this.

Steel
x4

Post by Steel » Wed, 19. Feb 03, 14:38

Tiberian Commander wrote:That's very good, and is there force feed back on the stick say like you go near a big ship's engines and you feel it through the stick.

Will you notify us on a sticky when it's to be shown on Sci Fi or on this.
No forcefeedback on the beta I am using (last years - I need to get the latest one - makes note to himself).

Yes, if I get any info on Sci-fi (they tell us when something will be aired), i'll post on here.

Steel

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Wed, 19. Feb 03, 15:13

Great stuff Steel, particularly happy about the Sci-fi channel. Now if only we can interest them in a good replacement for Farscape!

Moss
x2

Post by Moss » Wed, 19. Feb 03, 15:44

very nice :) the rear gun turret sounds like fun, so when can I get one :wink: hehe.

Thanks Steel, nice intro, give us some more soon.

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Wed, 19. Feb 03, 15:56

My right hand wraps itself around the handle of my flight stick and the anticipation level notches another bar. The earlier Alpha code I played around with didn’t have support for joystick and it may be a personal preference, but how I missed that immersion! Manoeuvring my ship with the mouse feels like driving a car with power steering that is too light and doesn’t seem to give the feedback to the driver. I am sure you know what I mean and when the rodent gets pushed off the mat in the heat of battle……..

ROFLMAO!...... :lol:

Hrrmmm...sorry... :oops:

Fantastic!.....and maybe on telly too...... :D :D :D

Oldman :)

CanadianBrit
x4

Post by CanadianBrit » Wed, 19. Feb 03, 15:57

Excellent news alround.

Steel

This is just the sort of news we like (well me anyways) to hear. A beta test report cool. Its not much but its new, and it gives us some excitement and hope.

Keep up this good work. And give a thanx to the Egosoft team and the betas and so on. Let them know we care!

Adamskini
x3tc

Post by Adamskini » Wed, 19. Feb 03, 16:09

as always, i have nuffin better to say but ...

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D :D
Aug 2000 -> March 2001 - Old Skool Egosoft Forum
March 2001 -> Nov 2002 - THQ forum
Nov 2002 -> now - Current, prettier Egosoft Forum

[anybody remember The Enforcers?!]

cappedup
x4

Post by cappedup » Wed, 19. Feb 03, 18:15

Steel wrote:
crunn wrote:Wooooooooooooowwwwww. Dude !!!!!

(a full TV ad ? )
(or something else ? )
Quotes from them.

hth

Steel
This is definately TV researcher speak, ive known a few.. they havnt said ANYTHING and folk tend to imagine a 1/2 hour programme dedicated to X2.. Yeah theyve used the word 'feature' it dont mean a thing... any publicity is good news and this is no exception, but i just thought id say, not to imagine stuff.

We had to let so many people down who had got thier hopes up of stuff.. its just the way it works.. But the news is certainly welcome, of that there is no mistake.. :D :)

Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm - Winston Churchill

chrishillproduction.com

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Wed, 19. Feb 03, 19:35

Great news Steel - thanks for the update.
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Wed, 19. Feb 03, 20:11

Then as I settle back into my flight seat and push the stick to the right, the screen is filled with the beautiful view of the planet, Argon Prime. I can see the landmass below the swirling clouds and the faint glow of the outer atmosphere on the edge of the globe

Hmm....this sounds like the planet's in X2 have had a bit of a 'makeover'? (upgrade from X-Tension).

Oldman :)

ps...I don't suppose you could kind of round off the topic by saying something like...."And the dust billowed up around the Argon Nova as we touched down on to the surface of Argon Prime"

Thought not........ :cry: ....... :D
Last edited by Oldman on Wed, 19. Feb 03, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.

silentWitness
x3tc

Re: Beta testing......Part 1

Post by silentWitness » Wed, 19. Feb 03, 20:20

Steel wrote:Behind the backdrop of the menu text is a space scene, but not a static picture, it’s alive with a space station (looks like a shipyard to me) in the foreground and the tumbling movement of asteroids in the void. I can see a ship in the distance, the trails from its engines leaving a fading glow like the movement of a light sabre as it makes its way on some unknown journey.
This I have to see for myself!
Steel wrote:I pull the trigger and the twin lasers spurt out a quick salvo into the blackness. The cockpit lights as the energy bolts stream away and I realise I had better stop playing with the weapons systems until I know where I am and who and what is around me.
Hunger for battle Steel?
Steel wrote:The ship begins to accelerate towards the unknown structure and I catch a glimpse on my radar of an approaching ship……..
Guess I was right!

Has Egosoft got enough quotes for the opening credits yet? I not I might have a few humble suggestions... :wink: :lol:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”