X3 AP complex building

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

DJC
x4

X3 AP complex building

Post by DJC » Wed, 22. Apr 15, 05:26

I just started playing again and have forgot some things. Is it possible to connect 3 silicon mines together. The manual states you can connect "2 or more stations together (well at least that is what the X3 TC manual says) I am assuming that they would be the same. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks.
Attention: All of your ships are under attack

Greenhorn
x3ap

Post by Greenhorn » Wed, 22. Apr 15, 07:34

Yes, But make sure your asteroides or silicon plant are going to be built : WITHIN : 15 km max range of each other ,but remember to buy 1 extra complex hub when you already have another factory already built there ,if the factories built are not within range of each other, the complex hub will not connect,if that happens, then you will need a ship with tractorbeam, to move factory closer to the other factor,then add your complex hub. the 15 km range is the max (( complex hub arm reach)) you know those connecter bars, right--- to--left,or,up--- to --- down, or 15 km range spaceship miles apart ,.Sorry about my typing explaining.Hope ive helped you.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Wed, 22. Apr 15, 11:25

Why not just use the Heph' corp to build them?

It costs a bit more but saves hours of tedium.

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Wed, 22. Apr 15, 11:40

shaun bergin wrote:Why not just use the Heph' corp to build them?

It costs a bit more but saves hours of tedium.
I am assuming it is because they can't build silicon mines.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Wed, 22. Apr 15, 13:30

True you have to plant a mine on an asteroid but it is simple enough to use Heph-corp to build the complex. It saves a lot of messing about as all you have to do is locate the hub clear of where the complex will take shape.

Monkeyfister
x3ap

Post by Monkeyfister » Wed, 22. Apr 15, 15:45

HephCorp requires that you place your own Complex Construction Kits to tie everything together.
They don't build mines.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Wed, 22. Apr 15, 22:12

Monkeyfister :

Again whilst what you say is true it is far easier to transport and place a dozen or more CCK's, and a few mines than it is to do the whole thing yourself.

The complex is neater and more compact so it does nor create a sprawl covering half a sector. It also eliminates the need to move dropped stations about because they are in slightly the wrong place.

Lothang
xr

Post by Lothang » Wed, 22. Apr 15, 23:20

Heph Corp is really too slow.
I've plenty of time to drag 15 mines in place, and all the SPP I need. Even my good old Albatross is faster.

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Thu, 23. Apr 15, 00:17

I've never seen any pressing reason to line mines up and hook them all together in a complex. Sticking a CLS1/2 trader or two in the area to fill up the mines energy and pick up the ore or silicon seems to be so much simpler and easier to do.

That said, there are a pair of silicon asteroids and a pair of ore asteroids in Antigone Memorial that just beg to be in a complex without moving any of them. Who am I do deny that? Then there was the one time I put all the mineable asteroids in Avarice into a single complex, just to make ore and silicon pick up a bit simpler. Never again though.

After a lengthy period of making self contained complexes, I'm beginning to break it down to food-bio complexes, armaments complexes, and tech complexes with minerals in stand alone stations. Each complex has an SPP large enough to supply it's needs, and crystals are imported from the tech complexes. The only "super complex" I use is one to support ship production at the PHQ.

Grape
x3ap

Post by Grape » Thu, 23. Apr 15, 03:32

Personally I use Complex Cleaner and Asteroid Fusion to keep things nice and "clean" in a system. I keep the Asteroids at no greater than 100, seems to work best for me. You still need to connect everything up with the CCK's but it just so much easier than repositioning stuff, no matter how much I enjoy towing stations about, destroying many things in the process :)

DJC
x4

Post by DJC » Thu, 23. Apr 15, 04:21

WOW, I never expected so much input :) I could never quote everyone so I hope you all come back to see my thanks.

So many suggestions thank you all.

Greenhorn
I did move my stations but I did not know about the 15km I will have to check those distances thanks.

And just to settle the argument. I just prefer to do the work myself :)

Lothang
xr

Post by Lothang » Thu, 23. Apr 15, 09:55

ancienthighway wrote:I've never seen any pressing reason to line mines up and hook them all together in a complex.
That lets the property menu and the sector map cleaner. (and calm down my madness)

It's easier to defend one big complex than 20 mines and a few CLS.

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Thu, 23. Apr 15, 16:04

I'm not sold on the easier to defend a big complex over many smaller ones.

Why are you building a large complex in a sector that needs to be defended? If that's the case, you've built along a pirate or Xenon migration route. Bad choice when there are so many other possibilities. The Kha'ak are a non-issue in AP, and become a non-issue in TC on the completion of Final Fury. If you decide to make war with the Paranid (or whoever) then you build in sectors that are beyond the normal range of their operations.

With a large complex, the destruction of a single station can bring down the entire complex. The loss of a factory can go unnoticed until production grinds to a halt, and replacing that station can be a nightmare to get it lined up properly.

"Complex A is under attack." Well, it's not exactly complex A which is the hub, but one of the outlying stations in the complex, and now you have to maneuver around your complex to get a good line of attack on the hostiles. How much damage to the complex and your fleet is caused by that? How much time is lost moving into position?

---

CAGs and CLS will seek safe haven when hostiles are a threat. Once off the major migration routes for hostiles, a wing or two of M3s can handle any pirate raids, which consists of a handful of M3s, M4s, and M5s in some random combination. And on the rare occasions a raid consists of anything bigger, and M8 can easily jump to sector and handle the big ships. My defense of all my stations spread throughout the universe is a couple of TMs with M3s docked, and a couple of fast M6s. They jump to where ever they are needed, when they are needed. Simple. Low cost. Effective.

DJC
x4

Post by DJC » Fri, 24. Apr 15, 06:53

Greenhorn wrote:Yes, But make sure your asteroides or silicon plant are going to be built : WITHIN : 15 km max range of each other ,but remember to buy 1 extra complex hub when you already have another factory already built there ,if the factories built are not within range of each other, the complex hub will not connect,if that happens, then you will need a ship with tractorbeam, to move factory closer to the other factor,then add your complex hub. the 15 km range is the max (( complex hub arm reach)) you know those connecter bars, right--- to--left,or,up--- to --- down, or 15 km range spaceship miles apart ,.Sorry about my typing explaining.Hope ive helped you.
Thanks for the info. It turned out that one station was set at 15.8km

DJC
x4

Post by DJC » Fri, 24. Apr 15, 06:53

Greenhorn wrote:Yes, But make sure your asteroides or silicon plant are going to be built : WITHIN : 15 km max range of each other ,but remember to buy 1 extra complex hub when you already have another factory already built there ,if the factories built are not within range of each other, the complex hub will not connect,if that happens, then you will need a ship with tractorbeam, to move factory closer to the other factor,then add your complex hub. the 15 km range is the max (( complex hub arm reach)) you know those connecter bars, right--- to--left,or,up--- to --- down, or 15 km range spaceship miles apart ,.Sorry about my typing explaining.Hope ive helped you.
Thanks for the info. It turned out that one station was set at 15.8km

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”