Squash Mines

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Joe McCracken
x3tc

Squash Mines

Post by Joe McCracken » Wed, 29. Apr 15, 22:19

Has anyone ever used these mines? Squash, or any of the other variants?
I've tried to use them in Xenon sectors to see what kind of havoc I can create, but they just seem to be attacked and destroyed.

Has anyone used them to any effect?
I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun, hide in the asteroids and laugh at what I done, put a blood blister upon each bun, I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun.
Some people are like slinkies, not worth a whole lot, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Mines

Post by Bill Huntington » Thu, 30. Apr 15, 03:24

I've tried them as part of a gate blockade. When a target hits them, it kills them. But they don't do you any favors. If you ever need to use the area, you can't. A big part of using mines is psychological. But the Xenon don't scare. If they decide to come, they do and just use their own ships to soak up casualties and clear a path.

You don't get any credit for the kills either. And you're not sure it will work, but it might.

I've tried dumping them in the path of a pursuing ship. It can work but not for sure. And that area is denied to you unless you spend a lot of time clearing the area.

There can be a situation where they help. But usually they are more trouble than they're worth.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 30. Apr 15, 12:49

By the way *all* explosive and M/AM mines in vanilla X3 have the same static ranges, methods of use and target effects despite what their descriptions may say. The types only differ in their text description, name, price and source/availability.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Thu, 30. Apr 15, 16:03

It's always nice to have a few dozens in case a well-paid mission is offered. Other than that I haven't found a practical use for mines.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Joe McCracken
x3tc

Post by Joe McCracken » Thu, 30. Apr 15, 17:02

I usually build 1 or 2 squash mine factories during my games just for those random missions, and to sell to the Pirates/Yaki, and Military bases. I've just never had any fortune actually USING them. I know that after they are set they will destroy anything that hits them, but didn't know if they could be used effectively in game.

Does anyone know if they work OOS?
I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun, hide in the asteroids and laugh at what I done, put a blood blister upon each bun, I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun.
Some people are like slinkies, not worth a whole lot, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 30. Apr 15, 17:19

OOS mine theory from someone who would probably know.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Joe McCracken
x3tc

Post by Joe McCracken » Fri, 1. May 15, 02:50

Thanks Alan.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”