Goner Aran

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Peopleburner
x4

Goner Aran

Post by Peopleburner » Thu, 30. Apr 15, 21:11

So the Question i have is, If you see a Goner Aran and for one reason or another either dont or cant cap it do other ones spawn?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 30. Apr 15, 21:38

Yes they do. Ever more in X3TC, and just until you capture one in X3AP.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Grape
x3ap

Post by Grape » Fri, 1. May 15, 02:15

Hmmm.

I have seen exactly 1 Aran, on my very first Jump. I also did not cap it due to having 0 marines with me at the time. Since that time I have performed many 100's of Unfocused Jumps in the hunt for an Aran and have seen exactly 0.

I use an M7 for these jumps, as soon as i get in I drop an Adv. Sat, have a look and if nothing pick it up and swap ships to a Kestrel and then zip around the system, always nothing. The only times I do not carry out that procedure is when there is either a Khaak/Xenon Station or a broken gate in system.

It's odd that this thread has just come up as I have just given up on that particular play through of X3TC purely on the point that I could not find an Aran and Cap it, it may be a personal goal but it's a goal all the same. I still have the save of that play through so if there are any pearls of wisdom out there then they would be gratefully received.

Joe McCracken
x3tc

Post by Joe McCracken » Fri, 1. May 15, 02:55

The Aran can appear a LONG ways off from the center of the map. an Adv. Sat. won't always pick it up. Use your external view and zoom out. Then look around. You will find it easier.
I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun, hide in the asteroids and laugh at what I done, put a blood blister upon each bun, I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun.
Some people are like slinkies, not worth a whole lot, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Grape
x3ap

Post by Grape » Fri, 1. May 15, 04:45

Yeah, I understand that they can appear a long ways off, this is why I jump in the Kestrel. With that I can quickly get out to 100km or so in the Vertical and Horizontal planes, With that in mind though, they are big buggers and really easy to see, especially when you move out away from the clutter.

I thought at one stage that it was the ship size I was using that was stopping the Aran from spawning so I experimented by going down in sizes ending up in a TM with a Kestrel and Nova docked (could get hairy at times :)) but still no joy.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 1. May 15, 11:06

There are no player-related factors at work - just rely on the RNG continuing to serve one up to you now and again at varying positions and ranges under the UFJD sector conditions it fancies (but only until you successfully cap one in AP). The RNG is by definition X2 sagt Bussi auf Bauch; it may not seem to like you as much as other players from time to time. :D

There is a common but unproven player theory that an Aran may be more likely to appear in a UFJD sector in AP (up until capture) than typically in TC. <shrugs>
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

zapza

Post by zapza » Fri, 1. May 15, 12:13

Aaah the Aran . . .

I've been playing a vanilla TC game for the past few years and I currently own 39 Arans - all of them productively used at Player EQs and HQ.

I reckon on a "hit rate" of about 1 Aran every 30 jumps, which I think is about the "average".

Make your jump from a Sector containing both Shipyard and EQ, preferably at a point mid-way between, or close to, those Stations.

Using a Cobra I make the unfocussed jump, switch immediately to external view, zoom out and check the Sector map for enemies.

Many times I've spotted an Aran from that opening position. I have learnt the hard way not to spend too long in empty Sectors. Similarly I've learned to balance the desire for an Aran against the possibility of expending a missile payload on the off chance of finding one. If you can see one then make that judgement call - if you can't see one then consider that you may be fighting for nothing.

The Aran doesn't hide, although your view of it may be obscured by nearby rocks, nearby to you I mean.

From the opening position in the Sector, if I can't see an Aran, I'll click in the Sector Map to move my ship to a point about 90 degrees from where it's currently positioned. Then, by zooming out, I can quickly scan the entire Sector. Moving like this means that, generally, you get a reasonably good view of the whole Sector.

If you see nothing, move on, no point in chasing down every shiny rock you spot. Look out for what sometimes appears in the distance as a line of bright lights.

Believe me, they are not too hard to spot. Big, and lit up like Christmas Trees.

I've never found one in a Sector with a derelict gate but I have found several in heavily populated Xenon or Khaak Sectors. Lately, quite a few in those Sectors containing Xenon/Khaak Stations.

I've only ever failed to take 2 of the Arans I've actually seen. One must have been too damaged as, no matter how much attention I gave to it with the repair laser, 20 five star marines couldn't get past the first deck. The other, just a few days ago, was in a Khaak Sector which kept sending wave upon wave of Carriers, Destroyers and Corvettes against me. Try as I might, I couldn't take them all down even with a full missile payload.

So keep searching. Make sure you've got a handy supply of Triplex, Mineral and Freight Scanners together with Video Enhancement Goggles. If you can, carry along a few spare shields which you can switch into your Aran if you find the bad guys hammering on your hull while you are in the process of jumping out.

In TC they are definitely there to be found. If you can't see one in your current Sector, "return" and then jump again.

Happy hunting.

:)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”