Unfocused Jump ??

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Unfocused Jump ??

Post by Bill Huntington » Sun, 3. May 15, 03:07

I just tried the Unfocused jump in Venus, as part of a boarding in AP. The Jump was aborted, with this message. "Jump Aborted. No object in current sector which JD can focus on." I tried a few more times and got the same result and message. I tried from an earlier save and another gate into Venus: same result. ???

I've had no trouble in ten other Terran sectors.

How widespread is this? Any explanation?
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Sun, 3. May 15, 05:04

What keybind did you use to activate the UFJD? Because the error message looks like you tried to activate the regular JD, and I don't think Venus has jumpgates (or beacons).

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Post by Bill Huntington » Sun, 3. May 15, 05:32

Good question. I used Shift U multiple times. I also tried the Unfocused Jump item on the side bar multiple times. All with that message. There are no jump beacons in Venus in my game. I could use the Unfocused Jump in Mars and Moon Sector before I got to Venus.

Since you asked, let me ask you to try it yourself. If other pilots can do it, that is good info. If you get the same result I did, that is good info too.

Thanks.

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Sun, 3. May 15, 06:42

Are you trying to use the Unfocused Jump to get to an existing sector?
The UFJD doesn't work that way. When used, it sends you to a randomly generated sector. It cannot send you to an existing sector, whether that sector has jumpgates or not.

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Post by Bill Huntington » Sun, 3. May 15, 06:56

Thanks, Jimmy C. I'm reporting that it's not working the way it should. Can you try Venus and tell if it works for you?

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Sun, 3. May 15, 09:02

No, no. The Unfocused Jumpdrive cannot take you to a "regular" sector like Venus, Argon Prime or wherever.
When you select "Unfocused Jump" from the side menu, you will be taken to a randomly created sector, that's it. You don't get to choose where you go with the UFJD.
Since you could choose a location, you were actually performing a regular jump, not an unfocused one.

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Thanks.

Post by Bill Huntington » Sun, 3. May 15, 09:23

I was in Venus already. I tried to make the Unfocused jump from Venus to the Unknown or whatever we call that sector. That Unfocused jump got aborted. It aborts every time I try it while I'm in Venus. It works just fine when I try it in other sectors.

Thanks for trying to help, Jimmy C.

skullair
x4

Post by skullair » Sun, 3. May 15, 10:07

I had that problem as well, you need to be in a sector with either jumpgates or a jump beacon, then it works
:boron: #Boronlivesmatter :boron:

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 3. May 15, 12:53

As skullair says. The issue is not that the AI is saying that you cannot get out into a UFJD sector, the issue is that it is telling you that will not be able to get back to normal space in Venus afterwards.

From the FAQ on this: "Note: In X3AP a jump with the unfocussed jumpdrive can only be performed from a sector that has either a jumpgate or a jump beacon in it. A sector that only has Transorbital Accelerators won't suffice as a starting point for an UFJD jump."
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Sun, 3. May 15, 16:11

Learned something. Thank you.

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Mon, 4. May 15, 09:56

Jimmy C wrote:No, no. The Unfocused Jumpdrive cannot take you to a "regular" sector like Venus, Argon Prime or wherever.
When you select "Unfocused Jump" from the side menu, you will be taken to a randomly created sector, that's it. You don't get to choose where you go with the UFJD.
Since you could choose a location, you were actually performing a regular jump, not an unfocused one.
Just for clarity, occasionally a UFJD jump can drop you in a known universe sector (with a jump gate or beacon I suppose) as one of those random things instead of dumping you in unknown space.
Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!
X3AP 3.1 Printable Universe Sector Map

Monkeyfister
x3ap

Post by Monkeyfister » Mon, 4. May 15, 17:56

To clarify:

Just like a REGULAR Jumpdrive, the UFJD needs a Gate or Jump Beacon in sector to function. It can't jump out of a sector with only Trans-Orbital Accelerators.

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Mon, 4. May 15, 23:23

Monkeyfister wrote:To clarify:

Just like a REGULAR Jumpdrive, the UFJD needs a Gate or Jump Beacon in sector to function. It can't jump out of a sector with only Trans-Orbital Accelerators.
Well... that's not strictly true. A regular JD can jump out of a sector with no gates or Jump Beacon (e.g. most of Terran space) which is where the the confusion with the UFJD may come from. I didn't know about the UFJD until I read this thread so that's saved me a bit of head scratching

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 5. May 15, 22:09

MarvinTheMartian wrote:I didn't know about the UFJD until I read this thread so that's saved me a bit of head scratching
MarvinTheMartian wrote:Just for clarity, occasionally a UFJD jump can drop you in a known universe sector (with a jump gate or beacon I suppose) as one of those random things instead of dumping you in unknown space.
IIRC, it is the return jump to the known sector that can "get misplaced", rather than the jump to unknown.

Technically, the UFJ seems simple:
IF at known sector, store the sector index, generate random sector and jump.
IF in unknown, jump to stored index.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Tue, 5. May 15, 22:54

jlehtone wrote:
MarvinTheMartian wrote:I didn't know about the UFJD until I read this thread so that's saved me a bit of head scratching
MarvinTheMartian wrote:Just for clarity, occasionally a UFJD jump can drop you in a known universe sector (with a jump gate or beacon I suppose) as one of those random things instead of dumping you in unknown space.
IIRC, it is the return jump to the known sector that can "get misplaced", rather than the jump to unknown.

Technically, the UFJ seems simple:
IF at known sector, store the sector index, generate random sector and jump.
IF in unknown, jump to stored index.
What I meant to say was that I didn't know [this] about the UFJD, I've been using it for a long time. :oops:

In TC at least I've definitely been dropped into known space on the outbound UF Jump, this happened while I was Aran hunting and it dropped me in CBSE. This has only happened to me a couple of time in many many UF Jumps so it is rare
FAQ wrote:There is also a small chance that an unfocussed jump (in either direction) will take you to a random sector in the known universe.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 5. May 15, 23:27

jlehtone wrote:...
IIRC, it is the return jump to the known sector that can "get misplaced", rather than the jump to unknown...
Nope, I'm pretty sure it's the 'outbound' jump. It's very disconcerting when you expect to jump to a UFJD sector and end up in one with stations, ships and gates, especially when you really wanted to jump your stolen ship to a UFJD sector to trap the cops. Or when you're Aran hunting. :oops:

I don't think I've never exited to the wrong sector from a UFJD one.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Grape
x3ap

Post by Grape » Wed, 6. May 15, 05:09

Yup, deffo the outbound jump. Always leaves me thinking eh? wtf happened there, did I jump? :)

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 6. May 15, 13:52

My misrecollection.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”