Q for Reunion vets re personal ship

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

siddham
x3tc

Q for Reunion vets re personal ship

Post by siddham » Mon, 18. May 15, 22:31

I have recently begun X3 Reunion and I want to ask the advice of those here who have played the game about their choice/s of personal ship.

I intend to play through the storylines and then move on to TC
So I need a suitable ship for that

I finished X2 a while ago and ended up choosing an Osprey for my personal ship to complete the X2 storyline. I chose it for its shields and cargo; and it was able to mount all the weapons I needed or wanted.
It did the job

I know that Reunion is different to X2

So...?

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Mon, 18. May 15, 22:56

The Hyperion without question.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Mon, 18. May 15, 23:21

The Hyperion is nice, but you will need to fly a smaller ship (M3/M3+) to play the main storyline, or some missions will not play properly.
Right on commander !

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Mon, 18. May 15, 23:35

Wait, X3 had a story? ;)

Seriously though, I spent most of my time cruising around in a Split Dragon. Sure the Hyperion, had super powers, but the Dragon looked so cool, and mounted all the guns I wanted it to. The Paranid Nemesis was also hellaciously fun, since it could mount a PSG in it's rear turret.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 18. May 15, 23:43

Geek wrote:The Hyperion is nice, but you will need to fly a smaller ship (M3/M3+) to play the main storyline, or some missions will not play properly.
You can dock such a ship to the Hyperion, though--so long as you make sure to switch out of the Hyppie into the smaller ship before those sections start, you'll be golden.

siddham
x3tc

Post by siddham » Mon, 18. May 15, 23:55

Could I carry the smaller ship I might need for the plot in the hold of the Hyperion?

That's what I did in X2; but I notice that in Reunion the Osprey does not carry a ship in its hold

siddham
x3tc

Post by siddham » Tue, 19. May 15, 00:02

Right so I could carry the smaller ship I will need...good
Thanks

The hyperion cannot be bought I think...so must be stolen?

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Tue, 19. May 15, 00:12

No, no boarding in X3R, and the NPC do not have it anyway. In fact, there is only one Hyperion.
You have to go through a lenghty series of missions (Bala Gi) to get it.

Given the requirements before and within this series, you will probably finish the main storyline before you get that ship.
Right on commander !

siddham
x3tc

Post by siddham » Tue, 19. May 15, 00:50

Thanks, that is helpful information guys

I started at eXtreme...so I have a stripped down buster which is pretty useless really. Just beginning to find my feet and work my way into the game.
At first I was scavenging mostly; couldn't actually fight anything, except the very weakest pirates. 1x5Mj shield and 2xbetaIREs is not going to get you very far in a scrap.
I just 'found' a Tucan and it had a PAC which helps a lot.
I am now in Teladi space and they will sell me PACs...if I can find one in stock somewhere.
So far its going ok

Ormac
x4

Post by Ormac » Tue, 19. May 15, 03:30

The Reunion Hyperion is gifted during the Bala-Gi Side Mission.

You don't need to complete the main plot before hand but you do need to meet a few minimal requirements to begin. Recommend following that through first

I preferred using a Mamba for my Personal ship but your often not given a choice in the main story.

-- Ormac

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 19. May 15, 06:16

I was in Raptor for the final victory roll, but that was because I had set personal milestones as precondition for touching the plot. Overall, for most of the time that I did play X3R, my "personal ship" was M5 + M4 + M3 + M6 + TP + TS + M1 + M2 -- a toolbox for every occasion.

There was no Hyperion in the game, when I reached the plot. Later patch ...

As said, many missions put the player into a temporary ship. Its a crude way to "balance" a mission. Likewise, there is at least one mission, where player is in own ship, but it cannot be big (and nobody tells that in the game beforehand).

My "initial progression" was:
Buster
Jaguar (variant, at sale in Family Pride)
Mamba Raider
Dragon
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Tue, 19. May 15, 09:21

I sold my Hyperion.

1) it's too expensive to be used against fighters. If you want to fight against non-capital enemies, the Centaur (or Osprey/Nemesis) are extremly versatile choices. Dragon is also great (mentioned in other post above).

2) it's too weak to fight bigger enemies. Comparing to M2s, the Hyperion has lower shield and much less firepower.
Against M2s, I find it best to simply get yourself the ultimate choice - your own M2. As M2 will deal with everything, from small fighters to massive-sized destroyers.
Mamba vanguard is a great Xenon K killer. You just need some patience.

3) it's the ultimate god of uglyness. The main reason :)

lighters
x4

Post by lighters » Tue, 19. May 15, 12:40

Completed the X3R story in Nova Raider without any problems. I think M3 is better suited for the plot since there's mainly dogfighting and running around. And let's just say that the hardest parts of the plot are... definitely not combat.

Also if you manage to cap a Xenon LX... Well, you'll know what to do :)

siddham
x3tc

Post by siddham » Tue, 19. May 15, 14:01

Has anyone tried using a TL class ship as a personal ship?
They have pretty good base speed, which I presume could be increased using the Pandora upgrades?
(The Split Elephant has a base speed of 132 m/s)
They can carry several smaller ships for when they are required; and anything else you might want to carry.
They can also use almost any weapon you might want
except for missiles....they are very limited in that respect
and steering (Pandora again?)

Any thoughts?

siddham
x3tc

Post by siddham » Tue, 19. May 15, 14:23

How could a Mamba take on a Xenon K?

It has 2 x 25Mj shields, which are going to last all of a few seconds if it gets anywhere near a Xenon K

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 19. May 15, 14:39

Earth Ultimatum IV. wrote: 2) it's too weak to fight bigger enemies. Comparing to M2s, the Hyperion has lower shield and much less firepower.
But it can mount PSGs, which are the ultimate capital ship killer in X3R. As for having lower shields, yes, it does, but it's also a tiny fraction of the size of a typical M2 and is much faster and more manoeuvrable, which means avoiding enemy fire is a cakewalk.

krait_daoc
x3tc

Post by krait_daoc » Tue, 19. May 15, 14:45

Any M3 or M3+ can take down a K or J - just get into it's blind spot and fire away (with a little bit of strafe)

I personally used the LX and made billions from GPPC's and other weapons dropping from K's and J's (save with 10% of the hull left and reload until you get a 20+ GPPC drop (amongst the other weapons)
:)

siddham
x3tc

Post by siddham » Tue, 19. May 15, 14:50

Thanks krait_daoc...that's good to know :)

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Tue, 19. May 15, 15:02

siddham wrote:Has anyone tried using a TL class ship as a personal ship?
Good luck with that. A TL has a weak weapon generator and is as large as a capital ship with a fraction of the shielding and power.
Right on commander !

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Tue, 19. May 15, 17:29

Geek wrote:
siddham wrote:Has anyone tried using a TL class ship as a personal ship?
Good luck with that. A TL has a weak weapon generator and is as large as a capital ship with a fraction of the shielding and power.
IIRC, the Elephant made a decent player ship in Reunion, mainly due to the number of fighters it could carry and room for picking up capped ones.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”