X3R 2.0 DVD Won't Even Open in File Explorer - damaged DVD.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

mesocyclone74
x3

X3R 2.0 DVD Won't Even Open in File Explorer - damaged DVD.

Post by mesocyclone74 » Sat, 23. May 15, 22:50

When I insert my DVD into the DVD-RW drive, it just periodically tries to read and then stops (it does this many times). The label for the disc does eventually come up but I cannot open the disc to explore the contents or run setup. I tried another DVD in the drive and it worked fine. Has anyone had this issue? Thanks!

Notes:

1) I have played my DVD version of X3R on my old XP system (Dell XPS 400) just fine, so I doubt the disc is the issue.

2) I have emailed Enlight but I am not sure how responsive they are to questions.

Basic system info:

-Windows 8
-ASUS PC 3.2 GHz
-AMD A8-5500 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
-12 GB RAM
-64-bit[/img]

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 24. May 15, 13:57

Obvious questions, have you cleaned the DVD recently and is its read surface damaged at all? The fact it played back when is really no indication of its current state, but you could try the DVD in a borrowed computer or other DVD player to check it.

If it seems OK elsewhere then it might just be a tolerance issue between the DVD and the new disk player. The game can be installed and fully-patched on another computer and then the game folder just copied across to the new system on a user DVD, USB hard drive or flash drive etc.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

mesocyclone74
x3

Post by mesocyclone74 » Mon, 25. May 15, 00:03

Follow up:

Damn if it wasn't the DVD...trouble installing on another computer. It is having trouble reading, possibly due to small scratches (unfortunately along the tracks). Will try to get installed game off of old disk drive or try one of those crazy scratch repair tricks. Thanks for the quick response.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 28. May 15, 21:19

If the damage is on the polished side of the disk and not the label side, you may be able to fix it with an inexpensive CD/DVD repair kit. Just google 'DVD repair' and you should find a bunch to choose from. I have one at home and occasionally need it to repair old game disks. As long as the scratches aren't too deep, you should be able to fix it. Good luck.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”