Xcom 2

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

muppetts
x3tc

Xcom 2

Post by muppetts » Mon, 1. Jun 15, 17:33

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/06 ... ore-292343

Happy Days, easier to read up on RPS then mass copy text, here is hoping for a cool game!
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Mon, 1. Jun 15, 19:13

Good.

(No more text is required)
mrbadger wrote:Anyway, it's Star Wars, this is important....

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Mon, 1. Jun 15, 21:38

XCom 2 ... or, how to ruin another good series.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Olterin
xr

Post by Olterin » Mon, 1. Jun 15, 22:00

Hm. It'll be more of a "to watch" game at first for me - the Long War mod for Enemy Within has spoiled me for number of tactical options, I think I might just end up being disappointed in the next installment :(
"Do or do not, there is no try"
"My Other Overwhelming Mixed Assault Fleet is a Brigantine" -Seleucius, commenting on my ship naming scheme

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 1. Jun 15, 22:05

silenced wrote:XCom 2 ... or, how to ruin another good series.
What about the described game makes you think it'll ruin the series?

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 1. Jun 15, 23:29

quote from the article:
"In XCOM 2, the roles have been reversed, and XCOM is now the invading force. "

Ooo, nice. Here's to hoping for some interesting moral dilemmas!

so the XCOM Enemy Unknown was then what?
(to me: an awesome game)

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Tue, 2. Jun 15, 15:49

I loved XCOM

I been playing UFO based series since dawn of time :P

XCOM2 looks very nice new approach aswell, was that a snakeman in the video? :O

https://www.youtube.com/embed/2E_-2wIJIzQ
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 2. Jun 15, 17:18

Thumbs up

Alee Enn
x4

Post by Alee Enn » Tue, 2. Jun 15, 17:25

fiksal wrote:so the XCOM Enemy Unknown was then what?
I have to admit, I loved XCOM Enemy Unknown (or UFO Defense as it's also known) and I have yet to see anything that comes close to how good that game was.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Tue, 2. Jun 15, 17:33

Alien Tech Inc. wrote:
I have to admit, I loved XCOM Enemy Unknown (or UFO Defense as it's also known) and I have yet to see anything that comes close to how good that game was.
i think you are confused with the games

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is the most recent xcom game and a remake of the original (along with its expansion, Enemy Within)

UFO: Enemy Unknown was the original, also known as X-COM: UFO Defense

Alee Enn
x4

Post by Alee Enn » Tue, 2. Jun 15, 17:37

Alien Tech Inc. wrote:
Cycrow wrote:
i think you are confused with the games

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is the most recent xcom game and a remake of the original (along with its expansion, Enemy Within)

UFO: Enemy Unknown was the original, also known as X-COM: UFO Defense
Ah yes, I probably was getting them confused, sorry about that ... yes I was referring to the original XCOM game "UFO: Enemy Unknown" and not the more recent remake.

This is what I was referring to, and in my opinion, nothing has come close to being better than it. Maybe I'm just getting old and these darn kids with their new-fangled techno-whatsits :P
Last edited by Alee Enn on Tue, 2. Jun 15, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 2. Jun 15, 17:40

I am the other way around, I never got into original as I found it quite slow. The XCOM Enemy was faster and still fairly tactical.

I had lots of fun when half of my team was wearing Ghost armor and half - the Angel one.

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Tue, 2. Jun 15, 19:25

Loved UFO Enemy Unknown, played it to death on Amiga and PC
Terror from the Deep,, less said the better
Didn't play Apocalypse mainly due to Terror from the Deep turning me off the franchise.

The homage UFO games, I played and enjoyed UFO Aftermath, and UFO Aftershock, but never got round to playing UFO Afterlight (even tho it's resided in my steam library for years).

XCOM Enemy Unknown I really enjoyed, but found the VERY limited level designs a huge let down for what is otherwise a great game, I haven't even looked at Enemy Within.

XCOM 2 if the maps are to be procedural this could be the kick up the backside the reboot needed. we'll see.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 2. Jun 15, 20:06

Avis wrote: XCOM 2 if the maps are to be procedural this could be the kick up the backside the reboot needed. we'll see.

XCOM EU had sort of procedural maps too. Or maybe there were just a few different versions of them

I am not sure why you think maps were not good. I thought they were nicely varied.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 2. Jun 15, 22:44

Alien Tech Inc. wrote: This is what I was referring to, and in my opinion, nothing has come close to being better than it.
The new X-Com may not be better than the original, but that doesn't stop it being a good game. It's not like they bolted the name of a well-loved franchise onto a piece of garbage for a quick buck, it's a genuinely fun game, albeit a bit easy compared to the original.

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Wed, 3. Jun 15, 01:51

fiksal wrote:
Avis wrote: XCOM 2 if the maps are to be procedural this could be the kick up the backside the reboot needed. we'll see.

XCOM EU had sort of procedural maps too. Or maybe there were just a few different versions of them

I am not sure why you think maps were not good. I thought they were nicely varied.
There were maybe 10 unique maps give or take, just they would be rotated for slightly different starting positions every now and then.

Sir Crashalot
x4

Post by Sir Crashalot » Wed, 3. Jun 15, 02:02

Enemy Within was a huge improvement to EU and amongst other things added a lot of new maps. I quit EU after one playthrough but sunk hundreds of hours into EW Ironman games.

As for Xcom 2, I'll just do my usual and wait a few months for other peoples reactions before buying.
If you can`t dazzle them with dynamics, then baffle them with bullsh*t :D

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Fri, 5. Jun 15, 07:07

pjknibbs wrote:
What about the described game makes you think it'll ruin the series?
Gaming history is full of titles that were remade, and the remake got a sequel -> and it failed hard. Of course, Firaxis will most likely know what they do, and maybe they do it right again.

Wait and see, and drink some tea.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Fri, 5. Jun 15, 10:30

I picked up Enemy Unknown last year in a steam sale and was very impressed, turn-based gameplay done right is very rewarding. Looking forward to seeing how XCOM 2 develops

Sir Crashalot
x4

Post by Sir Crashalot » Wed, 10. Jun 15, 23:58

Why do I get the feeling that this game is going to have absurdly high system requirements?

Maybe I'm just a cynic. :x

The blurb, fluff and hype I'm seeing looks interesting but beyond a few screenies I'm not seeing much about the gameplay itself. I guess it'll come in time but the release date of November isn't really that far off.
If you can`t dazzle them with dynamics, then baffle them with bullsh*t :D

Return to “Off Topic English”