Amusing story everyone here can top

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Imgran

Amusing story everyone here can top

Post by Imgran » Fri, 5. Jun 15, 06:36

So I was doing the Xenon hub quest in TC, elivering the first few loads of comuter components to the hub in my Chokaro, which is the ideal ship to run that part of the mission because of its speed and survivability while having a high capacity hold. This isn't a particularly well armed Cho, just a few dozen fighter drones and some PAC's, and 2 Nova Raiders in the bay. I tended to use this thing to buy used fighters and cart them to the shipyard for safe repair and sale so I always keep 1 fighter bay empty.

As I'm heading in to dock at the hub, I see some Xenon's flying through the sector. Nothing unusual, they frequently fly through during that part of the quest since the hub's gate is set from one xenon sector to....

.... is that a Q?

Yyyyyep that's a Q. Crap. OK.

Well at least it wasn't a K. I nose up into the hub and dock. Alright, safe. Unload my goods. Right. Done. No problem, I'll just jump away. Unduck, press shift j, and... what do you mean not enough energy?

Crap. Okay. Okay. think. I have enough energy to make 1 jump across a sector, Im going to need that to get me through the Xenon sector between me and safety in Teladi space afer I leave the hub. So I'm stuck in the Xenon hub with a Q, probably armed with IBL's and I'm in a gussied-up TM.

Now a smart person turns around and immediately rushes for the south gate, performs the cross-system jump and heads for safety and freedom. Simple. Easy.

I wish I was a smart person.

Pop fighters, release dones, and let slip the dogs of war!

So now we have a TM and 2 nova raiders and about half a million fighter drones duking it out with a Xenon m7. Since my usual combat encounter at that point featured M4 and M5 fighters rather prominently, my missle layout was about a 100 Mosquitos. So I fire those, roll around a few balls of firey doom a my fighter mob closes in and and then (remember, not a smart person) I take the little jeep carrier that's about to be the source of all the Q's problems in myself, following the fighers and still popping Mosquitos.

It only takes about a century to wear down the Q's shielding as I'm weaving around him trying desperately to stay clear of his broadsides. One of my novas explodes, followed by several fighter drones the Q's firepower is focused on swatting nuisances rather than killing the jeep carrier that's the real source of the problem. My PAC's knock politely on the Q's armor to comic effect but the drones and missiles are a lot more useful. The Q's shielding goes down.

I'm still staying close to the Q so I can pew pew his armor with my PAC's as my drone mass goes to work on his hit points. I take a couple hits, but my Chokaro has full 400 MJ shields, so I only go down to about 40% shields, My mosquito swarm is preventing the Q's shields from regenerating while the fighter mass picks it apart. needless to say things are going surprisingly well.

At this point I decide that I want the kill, I don't want my drones to have it. Since my peashooter cannons aren't likely to let this happen, I roll my Chokaro over and very deliberately ram the Q.

In a TM.

Amazingly I didn't die. As the Q blasted apart into firey robotic ruin around me I stood triumphant in the now empty hub sector at 30% health with my one remaining 200MJ shield generator slowly restoring half shields Even more amazingly, among the many components I lost in the fight I didn't lose my jump drive and was able to redock my remaining Nova Raider and limp to a friendly Teladi shipyard for repairs.

Needless to say I was cackling like a madman for a couple hours after that one. I'm sure there's elite players that have done this before but I'm not an elite combat player. Taking down a frigate class ship in a TM is kind of my moment of X glory so I thought I'd share..
OTAS -- it's like 42, the answer to life, the universe, and everything

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 5. Jun 15, 07:58

A Teladi would calculate and moan the cost of that victory, but you do already know that the feeling is priceless. :split:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Fri, 5. Jun 15, 08:15

Imgram:

And at what point did you begin to suspect you left your mind back at the hub?

Seriously though that sounds like it was a hell of a lot of fun, thanks for sharing.

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Fri, 5. Jun 15, 08:52

It seems like it was a safe battle to engage in, assuming autosave on docking is engaged. Just docked. Go ahead and fight. If you lose, you really lose nothing. If you win, you get the big smile of disbelief and bragging rights.

Gratz on the victory

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Fri, 5. Jun 15, 09:50

Good story, good read - thanks :)

Reminds me of the feelings I had when I attacked 4 Qs at the same time in 598 in a Eclipse equipped with 8 "flamethrowers" (Particle Burst Cannon or the like) in an early stage of X3TC (probably 1.4). If you stayed very close under the tail of a Q, you could fire constantly at the Q without having energy drain-problems - and without being hit by the attacked Q.
The attacking Qs did the rest as their aiming capabilities were as bad as the strafing of the attacked Q.

It was massacre more than heroism - but the first success was - ahem - "priceless" :mrgreen:

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Fri, 5. Jun 15, 15:58

Awesome story :D

@zazie: The "flamethrowers" would be Plasma Burst Generators. Well known for their ability to roast stuff. :twisted:
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D

DiDs:
Eye of the storm Completed
Eye of the storm - book 2 Inactive
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

Imgran

Post by Imgran » Fri, 5. Jun 15, 18:29

Oh I hard saved. If it didn't work I was gonna do the smart thing, risk a few hits from the IBL and make a beeline for the gate. He was right on top of me in the hub though. Chokaro is faster than a Q bu not by a lot, and since I docked of course I was at a dead stop and he was moving. I would have had to dodge a lot of fire to escape.

In fact IIRC I tried it once and got IBL'd to death before I could get clear, which is why I decided that while with enough tries I could escape with my tail between my legs -- screw it, Q. Once is all you get.

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Sat, 6. Jun 15, 08:13

Hi,

so did you learn something? Like "Always dock fighters in a TM filled to the brim with energy cells"?

Awesome story.

cu
Rainer

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Sat, 6. Jun 15, 08:15

Rainerprem:

Don't forget missiles, they come in handy as well.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 6. Jun 15, 13:30

@ RainerPrem: Further pro tip: keep some final reserve e-calls held on the fighters in the TM just for emergency and refuel TM jumps.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 6. Jun 15, 16:46

Taking damage can get ware and upgrades in the ship destroyed. While it is unlikely to lose all ECells that way (and live to tell about it), it is still good to have some more in "perfectly stealthed" location. The customs officers claim that nothing can slip past their scanners, but the bay of a ship docked inside an another ship ...

Then again, if those docked fighters are expendable, like they were in the OP tale, then they are not very secure stashes for treasures.
Imgran wrote:He was right on top of me in the hub though. Chokaro is faster than a Q bu not by a lot, and since I docked of course I was at a dead stop and he was moving. I would have had to dodge a lot of fire to escape.

In fact IIRC I tried it once and got IBL'd to death before I could get clear, which is why I decided that while with enough tries I could escape with my tail between my legs -- screw it, Q. Once is all you get.
Conclusion: you were undocking right next to a Q and you were not able to avoid fire while flying away from it, but you did avoid fire while not flying away from it. It must be the mindset of the pilot that makes the difference.

However, deploying all those distractions, full thrusters and strafe rockets simultaneously could in theory open an exit window.

Ahh, the memories of last moment departures. There used (X2, X3R) to be passengers that somehow had attracted Xenon attention. Defying all logic they only wanted to hop to an another Station within the same sector, rather than requesting as many Gates between themselves and the pursuers as possible. Perhaps they expected the cab driver to expose the red during the transit (and some drivers indeed did provide such extra service, free of charge).

I, however, were not so good at "multi-tasking". Passenger first, Xenon later. Like the Q, the Xenon usually did gather nearby, and they were K squadrons. The thing with ships with turrets is that they shoot at anything when they lack the primary target (my ship, docked or out of range).

It is all about timing. The passenger steps out and completes the credit transaction (happily, "And remember, we have not met.") while the Xenon are pounding the shields of the Station. The Express Undock Procedure completes the same moment the hull integrity of the Station fails permanently. The Xenon turret routines detect their primary target right then and there, when their secondary target turns to debrii.

It is a matter of timing to get your client completely overkilled and still receive his creditsss and gratitude. :twisted:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Imgran

Post by Imgran » Sun, 7. Jun 15, 02:54

jlehtone wrote:
Imgran wrote:He was right on top of me in the hub though. Chokaro is faster than a Q bu not by a lot, and since I docked of course I was at a dead stop and he was moving. I would have had to dodge a lot of fire to escape.

Conclusion: you were undocking right next to a Q and you were not able to avoid fire while flying away from it, but you did avoid fire while not flying away from it. It must be the mindset of the pilot that makes the difference.

However, deploying all those distractions, full thrusters and strafe rockets simultaneously could in theory open an exit window.

That, or I was dodging into blind spots by getting in tight? The Q has several blind spots which mean that sometimes right next to the q is the safest place to be. Meanwhile IBL has an effective range of ~5km so running away when you're only ~30m/sec faster gives the Q plenty of shots at you whereas if you're closing into the Q you have better odds to see and avoid incoming fire (IBL shots are not particularly quick).

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Tue, 9. Jun 15, 04:16

Like a boss.

Now all you need to do is spacewalk board I and you can consider yourself Batman of the X universe.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

Lea Flamma
x3tc

Post by Lea Flamma » Tue, 9. Jun 15, 11:03

Nice story :) Those are the moments I love playing X3 for.

My most epic fight was during one mission, which I will keep myself from spoiling. The objective was to cap a TS, plant a tracking device on a TL and then flee as the TL droped enemies. I guess most of you know which mission it is, but shhh...

So my clever mind decided that I will be able to use the TS to scan, then hop out of it and board my M6 before the enemies do more shield damage to it. The idea was great, but... I forgot one little point. The ship if not flown by the player is in automatic pilot, which was set to protect the TS, not follow it. So the moment the TS got a single hit, my M6 went on a rampage after all the M5-3s that deployed from the TL. With me handing in my spacesuit in the middle of it all.

I spent over 15 minutes dodging bullets while spacewalking, trying to get close enought to my M6 to get the boarding option, as it flew around shooting everything to bits. I survived. The TS survived. The M6 survived. And the moment I took the stears of my frigatte in my hands, was the most relieving moment of my gameplay so far.
Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom.

Imgran

Post by Imgran » Tue, 9. Jun 15, 15:15

I've had other great moments of fun in X3 but none quite like that.

Rampaging across a Xenon sector in my PSG equipped Deimos comes pretty close. You can really tell that the Paranid believe their religion and if they kill them all God will know his own. As long as you're in a sector where collateral damage isnot an issue though, PSG swarm spam is incredible. PBG on a capital ship scale A Q lasts seconds, even the heavy Xenon capitals go down pretty quickly.

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Wed, 10. Jun 15, 18:13

A few days ago I went all-out in boarding my second Xenon I after making the mistake of REing my first and was told it would take 36 hours.

I headed to Xenon sector 627 in my Pteranodon and spotted my target in the centre of the sector. After wasting the nearby Qs a whole load of fighters came through the east gate and roasted my Sirokos as I'd just brought it in.

I reloaded and jumped in sans Sirokos, same bunch of fighters jumped in right on my tail and despite my best efforts still depleted most of my shields. So I retreated to my hub sector and jumped in my Odysseus. Had to set the turrets to attack all enemies otherwise it wouldn't fire PSGs near a jump gate. Despite conventional weapons not being too bad against fighters I so rarely get to use the PSG I was determined to make the most of it 8)

Anyway, after having fun shredding a couple of dozen fighters I hopped back in my Pteranodon. First time I went up against the I, I lost badly- somehow my shields were drained with hardly any damage done to theirs.

Cue a reload and repeated the feat; had to dispatch a pesky M6 that showed up and called in the Sirokos. This time it went far better- managed to drain his shields with a couple charged PPC volleys while avoiding most of the return fire and the Sirokos launched pods. Took a few reloads before my marines managed the task but in the end I got a brand-new Xenon I which also came with a full load of Point Singularity projectors. I didn't really need those as I'd already set up a large complex dedicated to cranking out Terran weapons. Not bad considering I only lost one marine :lol:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”