[X3AP]Newb Weapon Compatability Question

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

oHmY

[X3AP]Newb Weapon Compatability Question

Post by oHmY » Sat, 1. Aug 15, 17:14

It's time once again to help me find an obvious solution I'm probably staring right at. I've feel like I've been using my eyeballs to hammer nails looking for this one.

How do I know ahead of time how many of a certain weapon type a ship can mount? I understand that I can check a ship's info, and see the various weapon types that ARE compatible. But it seems that different ships have certain mounts that will only allow a limited selection of what is already known to be compatible.
ΩI
"A-T-F... Muh Jolnir" - X3 Computer Lady. LOL

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sat, 1. Aug 15, 17:34

Open the information window for the ship, and where it tells you what is compatible, it will have listing of the various mountings. Each of those will have a number, which is the number of slots. IE:

Tenjin
Front 9: (Names of compatibles.)
Left 1: (Names of compatibles.)
Right 1: (Names of compatibles.)

Roguey's site also has them all listed for all available ships.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

oHmY

Post by oHmY » Sat, 1. Aug 15, 17:44

I'm familiar with the information tab. But I once capped a Nova Raider and thought, "I'm going to load this thing with mass drivers." I purchased 4 mass drivers in addition to the 2 I already had, and upon trying to install them via my weapons menu, in all but two mounts, the mass driver selection was grayed out. Each mount had certain color bars indicating what laser was compatible with that mount. Does anyone have an explanation? If that is normal, that's the question I'm asking. How do I know this about each ship before I buy/acquire it?
ΩI

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 1. Aug 15, 18:16

If a ship can mount 8 guns in a particular location then it can mount 8 guns of any supported type. A Nova Raider has 8 main gun slots and a turret slot, so you should be able to fit 8 mass drivers, no issue. If you genuinely can't do that then your game is either broken or modded.

I suspect neither of these is the case and you're misunderstanding something, but I'm unsure what. A screenshot might help?

oHmY

Post by oHmY » Sat, 1. Aug 15, 18:22

Okay, good stuff. I'm not sure what happened. I'll proceed trusting that this is the case, b/c what I just described was exactly how it happened. It was the 8 mains in question. I entered the weapons menu "g" selected a slot, the mass drivers were grayed out, and there were color codes by each for each slot. Maybe some glitch or something. If it happens again, I'll post a screen.
ΩI

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Sat, 1. Aug 15, 18:29

The only reason I can think that you couldn't mount them is you didn't have them in the cargo hold. Possibly you tried to transfer them, but there wasn't enough space so only 2 transfered.

oHmY

Post by oHmY » Sat, 1. Aug 15, 18:38

When I discover a game like X I spend a lot of long hours... lots of caffeine, lots of nicotine, so anything is possible. But I seem to recollect, unequipping all weapons (the mass drivers were equipped in those two slots to begin with.) and t hen trying to reequip them and only being able to do so in those two slots. But because of the condition that I've described in this posts first sentence, I may not be remembering correctly.
ΩI

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sat, 1. Aug 15, 20:50

ancienthighway may be onto something. The Nova doesn't have the largest Cargo bay, so it might have been full. And if you have weapons, but they're in other mountings, they show up but greyed out.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 1. Aug 15, 21:07

I will hazard a theory here.

The X3AP ship you captured was probably not an Argon Nova Raider (which will take MD in both main and turret slots) but more likely a Pirate Nova Raider (which is a different ship variant and will take MD in the turret slot but not in main slots).

Both ships when captured are announced as 'Nova Raider'. I think what you probably recall was the MD being OK for the turret slot but greyed out for the 8 main slots for the Pirate variant. In terms of the colour codes, you need a white tag in that turret or main battery for MD compatibility.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Sat, 1. Aug 15, 21:52

I never noticed that. the Pirate Nova can use the mass drivers, but the Pirate Nova Raider cannot. Argon varieties of each can use the mass driver.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”