Trading port question

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Cursed Ghost
x3tc

Trading port question

Post by Cursed Ghost » Fri, 21. Aug 15, 16:03

Hi all

I’ve been doing a lot of salvaging in xenon space and I’m now looking for an efficient way to sell the stuff off really can’t be bothered handling it manually far to much effort involved what I have always done in the past is to simply fill up my mistral super freights UTs and have them sell off the stuff in the course of there normal duties but the issue there is that well there kind of stupid and instead of checking there cargo holds and trying to sell off the cargo they try to buy wares and of course can’t which subsequently causes them to complain because they have no cargo space left because there holds are full with salvage

so I was thinking about setting up a trading port and assigning a couple of traders set to sell mode only and then simply dumping all the salvage at the trading port and letting the traders deal with the selling for me

having said this I have no real experience with trading ports because I’ve always considered them kind of useless as I could never figure out how to turn a profit from one due to the way they work having only one slider for both sell and buy price

so I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with trading ports and how they go about turning a profit from one ?

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Fri, 21. Aug 15, 16:20

Trading Ports always buy and sell at average price. The only way you can make money at a Trading Port is to sell stuff there that you bought for ultra-cheap, or buy stuff there that you can sell at top prices.

In the case of salvage, if you're talking about dropped wares, then it's probably a lot more profitable to have a freighter pick it up and take it to a station that uses it, as a manually operated remote trader (MORT). Granted, it does require setting a destination and then manually selling the wares after they arrive, but it's a once-and-done deal. If it's missiles and other equipment, then an Equipment Dock or Military Bases is a better destination, where you can sell just about any kind of weapon or equipment, although possibly only a few at a time.

In cases such as this, I find the two monitors in the corners of your screen to be very handy, because you can quickly select the ships to check their progress and buy/sell whatever goods they're hauling, then reassign them to other duties and remove them from the monitor when they're done.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Fri, 21. Aug 15, 16:23

I would be wary of setting up a station for this as the stations can only hold a limiter numbers of individual types of ware for sale. So you would have to dedicate a Cag pilot to sit there feeding it, and that it is a slow and tedious process.

MY advice would be to do the chore yourself with the high value items till you get the hub.

Low value items I tend to dump in a freighter I don't upgrade (other than cargo capacity) and just sell the loaded ship. at the shipyard its docked at.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Fri, 21. Aug 15, 16:45

I find that the distinction: Can it be mounted on a ship? is a good one. If the answer is yes, and it's not a Fragmentation Bomb Launcher, then keep it. If it is an FBL, or the answer is no, sell it.

If you want to sell from a trading station, use CAG's and CLS from the bonus pack. CLS moves the items to the station to ensure it's got a full supply, CAG then sells the items around the universe.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”