Good carrier fighter?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mousse9
x3tc

Good carrier fighter?

Post by Mousse9 » Tue, 25. Aug 15, 11:27

Hello all. It's been years since I posted here, but I've recently been playing Terran Conflict again.

Lots of mods, quite far into the game, millions of credits. Now, onto my question.

I have just bought a Tokyo and got the CODEA script running. I'm wondering which M3 I should use for the 2 categories. Interceptor, and Attack Fighter.

I was thinking Spitfyres and Fenrirs.

Originally I thought Interceptors had to be fast and light, and Attack Fighter heavily armed and armored. So Spitfyre for Interceptor, and Fenrir for Attack Fighters.

Then I read that it's supposed to be the reverse: Heavily armed and armored for Interceptors and fast and light for Attack Fighters.

Which is it?

Or does it not make much of a difference and should I get all Fenrirs? Or all Spitfyres? Suggestions, recommendations?

Ideally, I don't want to replace TOO many M3's very frequently, that's why I chose the more shielded ships instead of Solanos.

EDIT: I realize that the Spitfyre has the same amount of shielding as the Solano, and the Solano is MUCH cheaper. But I'm flying the Tokyo myself, so everything will be In Sector. I'm kinda hoping the Spitfyre's insane speed will keep it out of trouble. Litcube's Bounce Mod SHOULD work...I hope.

Rive
x3tc

Re: Good carrier fighter?

Post by Rive » Tue, 25. Aug 15, 11:49

Mousse9 wrote:Ideally, I don't want to replace TOO many M3's very frequently...
By my experience a carrier battlegroup can flatter any PC under TC, especially if many extra scripts and addons running. And once the framerate starts to drop, nothing can save those ships (however, I have no experience with that bounce script).

I too tried it with special ships, but faster the ship were, the sooner I had to replace them.

So at the end I went to buy some Falcon Haulers, with full PACs and 20% chance to the packed wasps.

They could clean up anything with surprisingly low losses.

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Tue, 25. Aug 15, 11:58

Fleet action: Falcon Hauler, Eclipse, Nova Raider, or Solano.
Griffon or Panther independent of fleet action: Nova Raider, Solano, Spitfyre.

I tend to keep the carrier fighters all the same or at least very close in speed, whether they are interceptors or attack fighters, so they support each other.

A key difference between Interceptors and Attack Fighters with CODEA is when the fighters launch. Interceptors launch to defend the carrier when enemy closes to 20km. Attack Fighters launch at 30km.

Whether you use CODEA or not, how you plan to support those fighters with destroyers, frigates, and corvettes should play into deciding when to engage the enemy and with what ship. Launching a hoard of Spitfyres at 30km when the rest of the fleet may be following at 130 m/s may either end the conflict before the fleet arrives or sacrifice the fighters with no support.

I've been using Spitfyres armed with 4 PMA/AMLs on my Guppy and Griffon where I would only be closing with the target with those fighters and supporting from a distance with missiles. I've also get them set up as Interceptors to give me more flexibility in deciding to engage or not.

But I won't consider using the Spitfyre in fleet action for the reasons I stated above. Instead I'll use Falcon Haulers, although I've seen more and more people preferring the Eclipse. It's a question of costs for me, the M3 is cheaper to replace, but then perhaps with the M3+ replacement isn't as often. If you prefer to go with more speed, the Nova Raider is a good balanced M3, or the Solano with it's much cheaper cost, yet M3 shielding and M3 missile capability. I've never considered the Fenrir due to the limitations of lasers and missiles. In TC, Terran ships don't have access to the MDM, another strike against the Terran fighters.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 25. Aug 15, 12:44

Attack Fighters launch at the military command barrier, which defaults to 30km, but can be expanded to 60km with recon fighters.

Interceptors launch when an enemy gets within 8km of the carrier.

---

For attack fighter purposes, I very much prefer either the Pike, in the factory default L outfitting. Four PAC's is enough to completely exhaust it's weapon battery in a single run. It's very short front to rear, so fewer shots hit it as it goes by. It's relatively lightly shielded, but has good cargo space for MDM, because missiles are the only real threat most of the time. Add some wasps and it's very dangerous.

Alternately, the Yaki Tenjin is insanely capable, with full M3+ shielding and enough firepower to rip apart M6's when used en masse. Also has turrets for defense in a turning fight and can naturally mount heavier missiles.

For Interceptors, the absolute top of the line is of course the Falcon Sentinel. 400mj of shielding makes them all but invincible. Combine that with 8x Energy Bolt Chainguns, and there's very little that it can't do a lot of damage to in a hurry.

As long as it's faster than your carrier, the Teladi Kea isn't a bad choice either, especially with it's dual turrets for defense.

The Falcon Hauler and Eclipse are old standby's. Both perfectly capable ships, though the Eclipse has dual turrets, while the FHauler can do double duty as an emergency cargo shuttle if you need it.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Mousse9
x3tc

Post by Mousse9 » Tue, 25. Aug 15, 12:54

With the comments, I've read, one thing stood out to me: Speed is not important?

I had not thought of the MDM for my fighters, and forgot about Terran ships not able to use them...

One of the reasons I wanted Spitfyre is its incredible speed, fast enough to even get M5's.
The Fenrir wouldn't be able to catch up, but since it's an Interceptor, the flak from my Carrier would get the pesky M5's.
I'm envisioning a horror scenario where my Attack Fighters launch against a bunch of M5's, and not being able to chase them down at all.

My thoughts were: Carrier sees enemies. Spitfyres launch en masse, deal with the threat and return. For ambushes the Fenrirs deal with the threat.
Ideally the M3's would do all the work, without backup, that's why I wanted very strong fighters.

Falcon Haulers would need missiles to be really effective, but I hate micromanagement for stuff like that.

So if Terran ships are out because of MDM (my precious Fenrirs!), and Falcons are too much work (for me), then Eclipses, Nova Raiders or Solanos...

This needs more thinking over....Thanks for the comments.

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Tue, 25. Aug 15, 16:16

Speed is great in the player's hands, not so much under the AI's control. Fighters and ships with extreme speed (M5s, the Spitfyre and the Springblossom) tend to crash into things at top speed. And the AI seems to only know to fly at top speed when engaging enemies.
Another thing to be aware of is, you don't need to chase the enemy. They'll always come to you. That's the other reason speed isn't so important.

Mousse9
x3tc

Post by Mousse9 » Tue, 25. Aug 15, 16:22

Okay, after some more thinking, how about this?

Because of Missile Defense Mosquito, I'll use only Commonwealth ships.

M4+ Solano. As an all-purpose ship, for both Interceptor and Attack Fighter, since someone mentioned it'd be good for both to have the same speed. PRG in all slots.

M3 Nova Raider. Attack Fighter, fast and powerful, with HEPTs as main, and PRG in turret.

M3+ Eclipse. Interceptor, slow and heavily shielded, with PRG in all slots. If energy drain is too much, I'll replace turrets with PACs, but I'm kinda worried about not being able to hit M5's, that's why I don't put HEPTs in. If putting all PRG or PAC on a big M3+ ship is stupid, let me know, and I'll switch the main to HEPT.

I was thinking, I haven't encountered a scene where I needed or wanted a big fleet. Maybe some missions in Operation Final Fury, but most of the time, 2-3 M7 or M2's would be good enough...

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Tue, 25. Aug 15, 17:21

If the carrier is fighting with you OOS, the biggest gun that can be mounted. Also, shields. So for OOS, Falcon Sentinal, Falcon Hauler, Falcon Vanguard, or Eclipse mounting HEPTs in the main gun slots.

But fighting IS, I mount PACs everywhere; constant fire is better than circling the enemy waiting for weapons recharge. There are a couple fighters that can mount a full bank or 6 HEPTs with constant fire.

Don't obsess worrying about M5s. They will either come to you, with possible crashes because speedy ones don't handle avoidance well, or they will run, and there's no profit in chasing them. It's not like they run home and get bigger ships to come retaliate.

2-3 capital ships are a fleet, and most of the time the biggest you need. Flesh out those destroyers, carriers, and frigates with some corvettes for anti-fighter defense. A couple of corvettes and transport carriers is also a fleet, one I've found useful as a reaction for for OOS defense for the occasional pirate attack on my weed and booze complexes. Just make sure the fighters are faster than the TMs.

Mousse9
x3tc

Post by Mousse9 » Tue, 25. Aug 15, 17:36

If I do ever whip out the Carrier, I will be piloting it, so definitely IS.

PACs on all slots, even with the M3+ fighters? All PAC's seem like a waste of the good generators and hardpoints on a big M3+. I have to admit, I don't have all that much experience with fighters, since I usually start trading (or Poisoned Paranid), and only begin fighting with an M6, which skews combat a lot.

What about PRG? Drains energy too fast?

What about the Attack Fighters (my Nova Raiders), who are ideally going up against other M3's? Still PAC? Or HEPT?

Maybe it's just me, but I find it very interesting that there's no real consensus about what's a good carrier fighter. Doesn't that usually point to a well-balanced game? Oh well....

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Post by Bill Huntington » Tue, 25. Aug 15, 17:40

You are running mods, while my experience was vanilla TC. You have extra $. That said, I battle tested my Tokyo in Xenon Core 023. I found that the relatively cheap Scimitar was the best M3 in TC for active combat. It's got heavy shields, good firepower, and speed. Speed is important for a number of reasons: closing with a target, finishing a target, returning to the carrier ASAP. I had squadrons of Scims, Nova Raiders, Spitfyres. In relatively heavy action, the Spitfyres disappeared, the NRs lost 50%, while I lost 2 Scims out of 48. You won't lose many Scims and they're relatively cheap to replace.

I also found that M1s just aren't suited for the Xenon sectors. No matter if the Tokyo is kept away from the center of the attention, a Q or multiple Qs will spawn close by over time. Even layered protection isn't enough. If you get one, then there's another, and another after that. You can't recall your M3s fast enough. So you jump out without them and have to rebuild your entire fighter force.

I found the best way to use the fighters was a squadron of 8, then attack one target at a time. That's why speed is important. If you want to recall the squadron, any fighter that's tied up in combat won't come. Even leaving it is hard because you have to remove it from the wing first, and seconds are important.

You have picked the best M1 in TC. The Tokyo is a great ship. Good Luck.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

Mousse9
x3tc

Post by Mousse9 » Tue, 25. Aug 15, 18:56

I think the Spitfyres vanished mainly because of them crashing into things, which Litcube's Bounce mod should solve. I haven't been able to test that though.

The Nova Raiders are more lightly shielded than the Scimitars, and thus have less survivability.

I mentioned Fenrirs before, and they're basically souped up Scimitars, wouldn't Fenrirs work even better than Scimitars?

You know what? I'm going to make several testsaves, buy the Nova Raiders, Solanos, Spitfyres and Fenrirs, and test them.

I'll be back in a few days (probably) with some results. :lol:

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Tue, 25. Aug 15, 19:02

Mousse9 wrote: PACs on all slots, even with the M3+ fighters? All PAC's seem like a waste of the good generators and hardpoints on a big M3+.

What about PRG? Drains energy too fast?

What about the Attack Fighters (my Nova Raiders), who are ideally going up against other M3's? Still PAC? Or HEPT?

Maybe it's just me, but I find it very interesting that there's no real consensus about what's a good carrier fighter. Doesn't that usually point to a well-balanced game? Oh well....
As I said before, there are some fighters that can handle 6-8 HEPTs. To find out for sure if your Eclipse can, load it up with HEPTs, find a Pirate Fighter group and have at it. If you don't have to wait for weapons energy, it's good for the heavier weapon. EBC is another option with minimal drain on weapons energy, but it has an ammo requirement.

You could use PRGs, but you are spending 3.5 times as much per laser over the PAC for a laser that does marginally better than the PAC. I'll use PACs even when going up on M6s and M7s.

You will never get an overall consensus on which ship is best, no matter what class you are talking about. It is highly dependent on how you play your game, which may be completely different from the way I play my game. Get a TM and stick 4 identical fighters on it, then go hunting. Play with the weapons and missile configuration to find what you like best. Try 4 different fighters. Repeat until you get that "Oh, yeah!" fist pumping reaction to the combat, and you found your fighter.

LTerSlash
x4

Post by LTerSlash » Tue, 25. Aug 15, 20:14

Not only crashing, the fast ships are the ones that get targeted first.

Also if you are attacking a cap ship you just gona losse fighters there is no workaround to that, unless well, they are Medusas Proptotype shooting Hornets at distance.

The Falcon Hauler is also a good option as a Heavy Fighter, with full EBC and Tempest/Hurricanes, and EBC is faster and it also have longer range than the EMPC, and it also have a rear turret that can help him with missiles.

But the thing is, there is not a "better fighter", it depends on witch enemy.

On TC with weak hulls i whould also consider a wing of fast fighters with Mass Drivers, Mamba Raider/Mamba Vanguard/Asp/Harrier. Nova Raider may work too, but its a little too slow.

Even the Harriers do a decent job to assist heavy fighter in killing other fighters, but you gona have to reemplace them constantly, at higher cost the Mamba Raider does a good job for that.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Wed, 26. Aug 15, 02:40

I hesitate to go too far into mod related things, but CODEA lets you automate the arming of ships with missiles. And the loading of those missiles into your carrier. So when your Falcon Haulers return, they're automatically re-equipped with missiles or other ammo.

I wrote a guide to CODEA.

That said, I find that Falcons with EBC are incredibly effective without missiles. Or with a full mounting of PAC's.

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Fenrir?

Post by Bill Huntington » Wed, 26. Aug 15, 06:19

I never had access to Fenrirs in TC, but it looks like a great M3. It has the same great laser energy as the Scim. It has an extra shield, and speed 10 lower. It sounds like the best choice. The price tag is $7 Mil, while the Scim is $2 or so. But you have $. The turrets could be set on Missile Only if there's a missile threat.

If a Terran M3 were my personal fighter I'd run it with less weapons. I'd encourage you load the weapons slots when the AI runs it. You get a lot less time on target, so it's best to hit the hardest when you can. If you find you are running out of E, then I'm wrong. But I don't think so. That's In Sector. OOS it's obvious.

I'm interested in the results of your flight testing.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Wed, 26. Aug 15, 09:19

I do not have any experience with Codea so this might change things between Vanilla IS and Codea. But Vanilla, I think you must prioritize shielding over speed - I learnt that the hard way (lost too many of those fabulous Split ships ...).

An excellent compromise between shielding and speed is OTAS Notus Hauler with good specs; Fenrir is slightly better though, but those two ship excel most other M3 considering the shielding-speed-ratio:

Notus (Fenrir)
speed 169 m/s (190)
5*25 MJ shielding (6*25)
1100 MW shield energy (1100)
8000 MW laser energy (9000)
200 MW recharge power (270)
255 L cargo bay (256)
production time: 4:28 (4:19)

Notus Hauler has become the M3+-Carrier-Fighter of my choice because in TC I never managed to cap a Fenrir - or a Thor.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Wed, 26. Aug 15, 12:48

It's actually about the same. Though CODEA tweaks the AI a bit to make them less likely to crash into each other. Not impossible, but unlikely. Doesn't stop them crashing into the carrier or other capitals though.

I always forget about the Notus. I thought it was a reward for doing OTAS missions.

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Wed, 26. Aug 15, 15:45

Hm, I don't think so (The ultimate OTAS-Mission-Bonus is the Scirocco).
It is possible to cap the Notus. I had best results with an attack in a Pirate Nova Raider or LX in combination with PBE. Find Notus - save - attack - repeat if Pilot doesn't bail at first strike.

Mousse9
x3tc

Post by Mousse9 » Wed, 26. Aug 15, 16:22

Finally got enough credits to nearly fill up my Tokyo. 20 Fenrirs and 20 Spitfyres. Plus all their weapons. Man, it's way more expensive than I thought it'd be. Not to mention the time involved in setting things up.

What would be a good area to test? Jump to a Kha'ak sector? Or a Xenon one? Hmm.....

Maybe I'll jump to the Xenon Core sector and see what happens. :twisted:

Mousse9
x3tc

Post by Mousse9 » Wed, 26. Aug 15, 16:53

First test: 20 Fenrir as Interceptors, and 20 Spitfyres as Attack Fighters, with CODEA.

Okay, I went to Xenon Sector 627, right next to the Xenon Core Sector (for some reason I couldn't jump there).

The moment I jumped in, I was surrounded by Xenon. 3 Q's, a P, numerous L's and a lot more M's and N's.

No K though, nor PX or LX.

I killed em all off, and started moving my Tokyo to the Gate on the other side. A J (carrier) appeared, and I fought it, along with more Q's and various smaller ships. I actually used the Tokyo to fight as well, especially since it was 3 Q's at the same time. At one point my Tokyo had 50% Shields. Dang Q's...

When I had cleared the entire Sector, I docked all ships, and jumped out.

Final count: 4 Spitfyres killed, 1 Fenrir killed, 1 Zephyrus Supply Tender killed (oops, I brought it with me). 2 Pilots ejected, but only 1 was left on the map. Maybe the other one was killed by gunfire.

The damage was FAR less than I had thought, especially with at least 3 Q's at the start, and a J and more Q's later on. Still though, the Q's were a lot of trouble, and they inflicted the most casualties.

Now I wonder if it was a mistake making the Spitfyres into Attack Fighters. Their Shields are too weak for that, I think. I wonder if switching around to Fenrirs would make it better.

I'm a bit disappointed that no K appeared.

Anyway, more testing required.

PS. This was AWESOME. :D

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”