Rock mining

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Allan F
x3ap

Rock mining

Post by Allan F » Thu, 10. Sep 15, 17:32

I've got a Demeter Miner collecting rocks in CBSW, and I wonder why it insists on ramming every single rock, hurting itself, instead of using it's mining laser.

Also, will the rocks it collects disappear forever? Would be nice - the place is a mess.
Maverick: Requesting permission for flyby.
Air Boss Johnson: That's a negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.
Goose: No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.
Maverick: Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz a Split.
Split: Split now give you .... Aaaarrriiiigh.

Zaitsev
x4

Re: Rock mining

Post by Zaitsev » Thu, 10. Sep 15, 18:53

Allan F wrote:Also, will the rocks it collects disappear forever? Would be nice - the place is a mess.
Depends on whether you're playing TC or AP. In TC there is a bug that will make the rocks stay forever unless you're in sector, but that was fixed in AP.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D

DiDs:
Eye of the storm Completed
Eye of the storm - book 2 Inactive
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

Allan F
x3ap

Post by Allan F » Thu, 10. Sep 15, 19:15

Sorry - my bad - it's AP.

Solomon Short
x4

Post by Solomon Short » Thu, 10. Sep 15, 19:15

Allan F wrote:I've got a Demeter Miner collecting rocks in CBSW, and I wonder why it insists on ramming every single rock, hurting itself, instead of using it's mining laser.
Because that's how they collect debris-grade rocks, the Mining Laser is for Station-/Map-class 'roids (the mine commands rather than collect rocks IIRC).
Allan F wrote:Also, will the rocks it collects disappear forever? Would be nice - the place is a mess.
As noted above, in X3AP collected "debris" is gone for good, in X3TC it may actually never disappear in the first (so you can theoretically set a 100 mining ships to collecting a single piece of debris, over & over & over again).

The "bug" (I don't think it is, or it would've been fixed before X3AP) is IIRC dependent on the way OOS calculations are done, so if your miner is in a sector you will routinely be passing through in your <playership> it should eventually clean up (to "abuse" this "bug" one generally sets one's mining fleet up in a sector one won't ever have to visit again, I used to use the US south of Menelaus' Oasis, with NavSats dropped by the 3 asteroids I planned to rubble & mine [no ice]).

Allan F
x3ap

Post by Allan F » Thu, 10. Sep 15, 23:25

So, I homebase it to a complex, and it does not unload there. Do I need to set up a TL with a few Falcon Haulers to get the ore/silicon to my complex?

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Thu, 10. Sep 15, 23:34

Solomon Short wrote:The "bug" (I don't think it is, or it would've been fixed before X3AP)
TC worked differently to X3R, and AP works differently to TC and my guess is it takes some core game code to change which is why it wasn't "fixed" before AP.

I used this "bug" in TC to collect silicon for a Crystal complex (in what is now Emperor's Pride in AP) and actually enjoyed the mobile mining aspect rather than have dozens of mines to manage. In X3R (not sure if they were bonus pack or standard) there were two commands: break rocks and collect rocks and this was a great way to mine minerals but, sadly, it doesn't work like this any more, hopefully this will make a comeback in the much hoped for AP patch but I'll look at some scripts if not.
Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!
X3AP 3.1 Printable Universe Sector Map

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 10. Sep 15, 23:46

I don't think it was ever a 'bug'. In fact, early on after TC was released, the general consensus was that Egosoft made it this way purposely to encourage mobile mining, which was a bit tedious in Reunion. They apparently didn't foresee the consequences, which was that it was exploitable by those wishing to get rich quick with nividium mining. The feature was most likely removed in AP due to player input. Or perhaps it was to allow players to clean up all that debris in places like Seizewell in order to make navigation much easier. Only the devs know for sure. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

chrisco54
x4

Post by chrisco54 » Fri, 11. Sep 15, 09:42

Allan F wrote:So, I homebase it to a complex, and it does not unload there. Do I need to set up a TL with a few Falcon Haulers to get the ore/silicon to my complex?
I think your complex needs to have an ore/silicon mine connected to it for homebased miners to drop off ores.

Allan F
x3ap

Post by Allan F » Fri, 11. Sep 15, 20:57

The complex has several of those, and enough room to absorb any amount of resources.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 11. Sep 15, 21:42

What command are you giving your miner? There are three:

Mine minerals, mine and trade minerals, collect rocks. Not all of these will automatically unload at your complex. And even if it does, it won't automatically start mining again. That's why most players mine with large TS's and have smaller, faster ones running CLS deliver to their complex. If you're looking to supply your complex using mobile miners, that's the way to do it. If you're looking just to store and sell, you can do so with a TS-TL combination. Or if you're simply looking to mine and immediately trade, you can use the mine and trade minerals command which automates the whole process.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

Allan F
x3ap

Post by Allan F » Fri, 11. Sep 15, 23:21

Collect rocks - I assume this will clear the sector (after some time) of all the clutter.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Sat, 12. Sep 15, 01:44

Ah, the 'collect rocks' command. That's a generic command in the sense that the miner will collect whatever kind of rock is nearby, and will end up with a mix of ore, silicon, and maybe nividium. That's why it's not offloading. And yes, it may eventually clear the rocks from a sector, if you let go long enough.

But you need to use the 'mine minerals' command if you're trying to dump the ore/silicon on the complex. Don't use the 'mine and trade' command because that tells the miner to search out the best place to sell whatever it's mining, much like a MK3 trader.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sun, 13. Sep 15, 00:17

MarvinTheMartian wrote:[...] In X3R (not sure if they were bonus pack or standard) there were two commands: break rocks and collect rocks and this was a great way to mine minerals but, sadly, it doesn't work like this any more, hopefully this will make a comeback in the much hoped for AP patch but I'll look at some scripts if not.
I am not a very talented scripter, but shouldn't it be possiable to implement the X3R commands into TC/AP?

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Sun, 13. Sep 15, 00:57

I would have thought so too. I've read that X3R scripts are not directly compatible with TC/AP but hopefully it's just a few minor updates.

I'm close to going modified, just finished the AP plot, and will take a look at the mining scripts available.

All I'm looking for is the ability to tell a mining ship to go to a sector and "minerals minerals" Ore/Silicon/Ice/Nividium, and have it return to its homebase and unload (perhaps also refuel jump energy) and then go back and repeat - this is where the current scripts stop after unloading. I also think a mining laser should be a requirement, they're pointless if you can slap an IRE on a ship and have it mine minerals.

This way a miner acts in a similar way to a station trader (CAG or Trade MK1) but instead of buying a resource it mines it. simple.
Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!
X3AP 3.1 Printable Universe Sector Map

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Sun, 13. Sep 15, 01:06

You have pretty much described the Prospector script. I won't mobile mine without it.

Allan F
x3ap

Post by Allan F » Wed, 7. Oct 15, 12:46

In Three Worlds, 45 Galleons have worked tirelessly for the better part of a in-game week, and I have dumped countless loads of ore and silicon overboard, because I've got plenty in my complexes. How much longer before it's cleaned up?

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”