[X3:AP] Feasible to build a dock in the Hub sector?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jimmy C
x3tc

[X3:AP] Feasible to build a dock in the Hub sector?

Post by Jimmy C » Sun, 20. Sep 15, 06:52

I've been thinking about where to place a Dock that would do trading for me, I'm already using the Hub as part of this trading system, and I had a thought, what about putting the dock within the Hub sector as well?
So, has anyone tried putting something like an Equipment Dock in the Hub sector? How does that effect things like docking pathing when IS?

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Sun, 20. Sep 15, 07:48

I placed a Space Fuel Distillery and a Bliss Place in it, but never an Equipment Dock. Not really needed since the Hub itself functions like one.

Just try it out and make sure the entire structure is below or above the gate-level. But I strongly advice you to be OOS when capitals are docking.

Getsune
x4

Re: [X3:AP] Feasible to build a dock in the Hub sector?

Post by Getsune » Sun, 20. Sep 15, 07:56

Jimmy C wrote:I've been thinking about where to place a Dock that would do trading for me, I'm already using the Hub as part of this trading system, and I had a thought, what about putting the dock within the Hub sector as well?
So, has anyone tried putting something like an Equipment Dock in the Hub sector? How does that effect things like docking pathing when IS?
I only tried to place an Equipment Dock there so far, and it works well. As long as you make sure
that the station is more or less placed in the center of the sector map (both horizontally and vertically),
it shouldn't be a problem. I'd say it mainly depends on how crowded the sector is in your game.

Smaller stations where capital ships can't dock can be placed rather close to the HUB 'wall',
as collision avoidance activates rather late. Just make sure that the docking port is directed
towards the sector and not the HUB wall and it should work.

IIRC player HQs don't work well for the HUB because of their size, but I might be wrong about that.

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Sun, 20. Sep 15, 09:05

I have read here, although never tried it myself, that the PQH can be built in the hub sector at the bottom so long as you rotate it upside down.
I'm no good at placing stations but I might give this a go at some point.
Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!
X3AP 3.1 Printable Universe Sector Map

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Sun, 20. Sep 15, 12:43

MarvinTheMartian wrote:I have read here, although never tried it myself, that the PQH can be built in the hub sector at the bottom so long as you rotate it upside down.
I'm no good at placing stations but I might give this a go at some point.
Yep. Granted terran PHQ is problematic because it's... errr... wide? Not really usable IS but OOS it functions. Tho I think building anything big or anything for that matter in Hub sector is a waste of time :P It's already crowded enough as it is. Also why EQ? Hub itself is EQ as it is... why would you want another one there?
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Sun, 20. Sep 15, 13:09

I'm planning on using a 2-dock approach. The Hub buys and the other dock sells.
I was definitely going to connect the Hub to wherever the Sell dock was going to be placed, when I thought about placing it in the Hub sector itself.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sun, 20. Sep 15, 13:58

Once built a total of 24 equipment docks in the Hub as a secure place to dock & resupply my fleet. That was in TC, but don't see any reason why it wouldn't work in AP too.

They were arranged in 2 groups of 12 above and below the ecliptic (upper group was about half the distance from the ecliptic to the Hub's dock & same distance for the ones below the ecliptic). Each group was in the form of 6 spokes consisting of 2 equipment docks each built end to end, with the outer equipment dock of each pair placed with 1 end adjacent to the Hub's inner wall, leaving the centre of the Hub clear. Also built the PHQ in there, down at the bottom & inverted (for easy access to it's docks).

Even with all that lot in the Hub had no issues with ship pathing - Hub's a big place, just looks a lot smaller than it is because it's enclosed.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”