UT Hyperion OSS loadout

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Cursed Ghost
x3tc

UT Hyperion OSS loadout

Post by Cursed Ghost » Sun, 11. Oct 15, 01:57

hi all

Ok so I just finished reverse engineering a Hyperion and I'm about to start building a few to replace the ships I'm currently using as UTs aka my Springblossoms because its really annoying having to continually intervene due to that that little bug in the UT script that stops my UTs working plus Hyperions are tougher and much easer to equip then Springblossoms

anyway I need to understand how best to equip them for OOS combat now I know the FBL is utterly horrible and completely unless IS but I'm wondering if this is still the case OOS because my understanding of OOS combat is that bullet speed weapons energy don't matter because like missiles all weapons are instant hit OOS so only the weapons dps matters which would make them better weapons to have in my turrets for OSS combat due to them having a higher dps than PACs

so what I'm wondering here is is my assumption that OOS FBLs are better correct of should I stick to PACs in the back turrets my other question is what about main guns now I know IS ISR are less then ideal due to the heavy energy drain but again I'm wondering if OOS they would be better then CIGs since energy doesn't matter OOS

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Sun, 11. Oct 15, 06:26

My opinion is, you're wasting your resources (and more importantly, time) to build Hyperions just to use them as UTs. If the usual freighters aren't good enough for you, get Hayabusas for high volume, high security transport, or Chokaros for fast, low volume, high security transport.
I have to say, I don't know if you can use TMs as UTs, and I'm not about to spend money to find out. This game, I'm not using UTs at all.
Loadout doesn't matter, if a UT has to use its guns, something has gone very wrong!

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sun, 11. Oct 15, 12:38

Go for CIG. Energy drain doesn't matter OOS, just damage per shot (range is also meaningless, its substituted by ship speed - quickest gets to fire first).

Afaik each turret fires on its target once with (near) 100% hit rate at every OOS 'round'. CIG gets you the most damage per projectile.
For the rest i'd use hept and fbl.

Though i noticed that armed M6s are really bad as UTs, best is not to put any weapons, and fight software on it. Otherwise it will try to chase and kill its attackers and that usually does not end well.
Arm it if you must - that cannot hurt afterall, but i'd really avoid installing the fight command packages as long as they function as UTs solely.
Max shields plus engine tuning should help it out of any trouble.

Not sure about build time for springys, but you might be better off using those for UT role: nice speed, plus as i said its best to not let them do any combat anyway. Meaning you dont need those stupid experimental aldrin guns.
Anyway they accelerate income nicely. Probably they do at least 2-3 trips while a standard TS finishes just one.. And it's quite rare that a 4k cargo UT TS deals with full cargospace. Even then it might be a less profitable deal then a low quantity high tech one.

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Sun, 11. Oct 15, 13:13

As I recall, the Fight software is mandatory for UT to work.

Cursed Ghost
x3tc

Post by Cursed Ghost » Sun, 11. Oct 15, 14:51

get Hayabusas for high volume, high security transport
I would do amusing I could find one to steal so I can RE it because right now my rank with the terrans and atf is as low as it can go so buying one aint an option trouble is the computer doesn't seem to have any I have trawled around Terran space but all the terrans trade ships seem to be baldrics
Not sure about build time for springys, but you might be better off using those for UT role: nice speed, plus as I said its best to not let them do any combat anyway.
if not for the commercial agents irritating no jump fuel found in range bug which stops the ship dead requiring me to intervene I would do but since this bug is less prevalent in ships with bigger cargo holds I'm hoping that the Hyperion would make a better UT while it may not be as quick it has a bigger cargo bay is tougher and is faster than even the fastest ts and my hope is that if it does get attack it will be able to survive long enough for me to send help and sadly most TS simply go down before help can get to them which wouldn't even be a problem if the emergency jump worked correctly which it doesn't from what I have observed the ship never jumps even is the ships shields are gone at least not in AP now I don't know if this is due to a bug in the script or if its just coz the ship is armed but either way I need UTs with tougher shields and the Hyperion is far tougher than the Hayabusa
Last edited by Cursed Ghost on Sun, 11. Oct 15, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Sun, 11. Oct 15, 15:09

And you have a problem with killing Argon ships in the warzone Terran sectors to earn some Terran rep?

Cursed Ghost
x3tc

Post by Cursed Ghost » Sun, 11. Oct 15, 15:22

And you have a problem with killing Argon ships in the warzone Terran sectors to earn some Terran rep?
yeah because until you get to the point the plot where you have to wipe out the transformer fleets your rep is locked and wont go above a certain limit as I understand it.

Just like when you do the poisoned paranid start its not possible to raise your rep till you complete the plot same deal here.

besides judging from the reports I've seen from other players even if I had both my argon and terran ranks at max due to a game glitch I would still end up getting attack by RRF ships from both the terran and the argon (which even rep is lower as I understand it) so its better to leave things as is at least I'm only being bothered by terran RRF fleets then of course there is also the ATF factor as well while my terran rank might go up by killing enemy ships in there space my ATF rank doesn't which just creates additional problems

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Sun, 11. Oct 15, 16:29

Hang on, are you playing TC or AP here? Because I assumed you're talking about AP. Otherwise, I expected you to say you can't get Hayabusas because they aren't in TC.
In AP, you can raise your Terran rank after finishing the AP starter plot. That's what I did in my last game. Go to the Terran sectors and kill Argon ships there. Get your Terran rep out of the bottom rank and go look for a Hard or higher mission from a Terran after that, and you should find yourself in the positive ranks real soon.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sun, 11. Oct 15, 19:02

If your rep is a big issue, you can easily get high terran rank if you are on good terms with the pirates.
Went to 4th or 5th rank from bottom by just doing 1 very hard mission for a terran guy on a pirate station (in a terran unknown).
Pirates are like a rep hack in this sense.

@Jimmy C: you can run UTs without any fight software, and having the software installed changes behaviour a bit.

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Sun, 11. Oct 15, 19:54

Went to 4th or 5th rank from bottom by just doing 1 very hard mission for a terran guy on a pirate station (in a terran unknown).
That's true, but you have to raise your rank from the very bottom first, by one rank at least. And the only way to do that is to kill enemies of the Terrans in Terran sectors. Otherwise, missions will not improve your rank at all.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sun, 11. Oct 15, 23:40

Not sure if that depends on lowest rank - i had a build mission once for a paranid CIG fab in Pluto. It did not give any rep even though i took the mission and built it on bottom+1 rank. Sometimes the mission gets bugged and gives no rep, really dont know what messes it up.
I checked the ID as well - the station i built was really a terran one.
On another occasion it worked with some ware delivery.

Raising ranks isn't that bad even with killing ships - a single P in Segaris yields 30-40% on lowest rank.

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Mon, 12. Oct 15, 03:43

Did you pay attention to the person offering the station building mission? Was it actually a Terran? I've never seen a mission to place a CW station in Terran space before.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Mon, 12. Oct 15, 19:40

Yes, he had a terran uniform.
Plus it was a terran CIG fab in the end so he couldn't have been anything else but terran.
Would be curious why there was no rep reward. Maybe a build mission issue, related to the station built being an enemy.

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Mon, 12. Oct 15, 19:48

From time to time, I do find aliens on Terran stations.
Well, I have to admit, I sometimes see station building missions where I don't get the rep gain that I should have had, too.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 12. Oct 15, 21:37

pref wrote:...
@Jimmy C: you can run UTs without any fight software, and having the software installed changes behaviour a bit.
The only behaviour it changes is it won't allow the UT's to drop drones without the fight software. It's a myth that UT's will stop and put up a fight if they're armed and have fight command software installed. That's never been the case since the very first player-made script was made for X2.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Mon, 12. Oct 15, 22:13

Nanook wrote: The only behaviour it changes is it won't allow the UT's to drop drones without the fight software. It's a myth that UT's will stop and put up a fight if they're armed and have fight command software installed. That's never been the case since the very first player-made script was made for X2.
I was really upset when i saw my M6 UT staying near danger instead of rushing out of it instantly. Lost 3 or so that just died fighting back.
Never saw this behaviour with TSes.

Cursed Ghost
x3tc

Post by Cursed Ghost » Wed, 14. Oct 15, 19:51

question can anyone confirm the emergency jump is broken in AP ?

because my UTs don't jump out when they get attacked which is incorrect behaviour

also when I set my m7 and above to start emergency jump sequence at 50% shields they don't and I have to manually instruct then to jump away if things look to be going badly
Hang on, are you playing TC or AP here? Because I assumed you're talking about AP. Otherwise, I expected you to say you can't get Hayabusas because they aren't in TC.
I'm currently playing my bros copy of AP
If your rep is a big issue, you can easily get high terran rank if you are on good terms with the pirates.
Pirates are like a rep hack in this sense.
interesting now that's something I didn't think of I'll have to give that a try because i've been after the Hayabusa for a while but never been able to find one to steal as they just don't seem to spawn despite being buyable at the ship yard

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 14. Oct 15, 20:43

pref wrote:
Nanook wrote: The only behaviour it changes is it won't allow the UT's to drop drones without the fight software. It's a myth that UT's will stop and put up a fight if they're armed and have fight command software installed. That's never been the case since the very first player-made script was made for X2.
I was really upset when i saw my M6 UT staying near danger instead of rushing out of it instantly. Lost 3 or so that just died fighting back.
Never saw this behaviour with TSes.
Sorry, yeah, I should've specified TS's. M6's, even as UT's, have a combat script which probably overrides the UT scripts. Freighters run, fighters fight. :wink:
Cursed Ghost wrote:question can anyone confirm the emergency jump is broken in AP ?

because my UTs don't jump out when they get attacked which is incorrect behaviour...
UT's don't use the generic emergency jump script which you can set in the command console. They use their own which is built into the UT system.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Cursed Ghost
x3tc

Post by Cursed Ghost » Sat, 17. Oct 15, 15:21

Sorry, yeah, I should've specified TS's. M6's, even as UT's, have a combat script which probably overrides the UT scripts. Freighters run, fighters fight.
I see well that explains a thing or 2 probably why my UT Springblossoms don't jump when attacked can't confirm if this is the case with my UT Freighters since I only have 2 the rest of my UTs are all Springblossoms

that doesn't however explain why the generic emergency jump script on my m7s and capital ships isn't working so I wonder what is overriding that ?

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Sat, 17. Oct 15, 15:46

I heard that's a glitch. You can't use the emergency jump out script to save anything larger than an M6.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”