Question regarding Ship Computer Voice

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Setty94

Question regarding Ship Computer Voice

Post by Setty94 » Sat, 24. Oct 15, 19:11

Greeting all :)

It has been a year since I've last played x3... After watching a movie on TV (don't recall its title) I got inspired to again start my x3 tc / ap adventures... I love vanilla game, but true fun for me comes from a huge amount of mods. It's always nice to see that even though x rebirth is released, people still do hard work and spend time for making mods in this game.
I could go on and on with this chit-chat, but let's get to the point. I was always wandering if there was a way, or a mod, to make the ship computer voice read custom named player ships... Maybe there are, but it seems that I'm too dumb to find them :cry: .
Anyways, thanks in advance :)

Elucca
x3tc

Post by Elucca » Sat, 24. Oct 15, 19:40

It's not an actual synthesized voice, it's just lines read by a voice actor. There wouldn't be any way for it to say words they didn't record.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 24. Oct 15, 19:42

All the voice samples were recorded by real persons and are stored in one (for X3AP two) file(s), 00144.dat (and 00244.dat) in the mov (addon\mov) folder. You can reuse already voiced words/sentences and put them together in a different way. This topic has some info on how to do that.
However, there's no text to speech engine (TTS) within the X3 games, which lets you record own texts, if that's what you mean. UniTrader did research using an external TTS for XR though. See this post for reference.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Sat, 24. Oct 15, 20:50

and just for clarification: it wont work for the classic X Games, because in XR every Text Sample is stored in its own file, in X³ all spoken Text is slapped together in one (or two) files.
It may be feasible to accomplish this in X³ but there are significant differences. (easiest way would be to add a 3rd stream containing only the new text, but not sure if thats possible)
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 24. Oct 15, 21:16

UniTrader wrote:(easiest way would be to add a 3rd stream containing only the new text, but not sure if thats possible)
No, that's not possible. There's no way via modding to tell the game to use other voice files.

What you would have to do is either re-recording everything, as described in the linked post, or merging the new with one of the existing voice file(s) somehow. I'm sure that the latter was done by someone already, but I can't remember who it was and what he did exactly. But it's probably something along the lines of providing the new voice file as part of the mod and explaining people, how they can merge it, with the existing one. I think, with Audacity you can merge sound files.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Setty94

Post by Setty94 » Sun, 25. Oct 15, 08:15

Thanks for the quick answer, guys.
Yeah it really sadness me that there is no option for that, but you can't have everything in life sadly :( .

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”