[X3TC] Sectors using Silicon

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

The NME
x4

[X3TC] Sectors using Silicon

Post by The NME » Tue, 27. Oct 15, 11:09

After starting this recently, I have large silicon mines in Antigone Memorial, in anticipation of a large complex later in the game.

Meanwhile, I am trying to sell the produced silicon, but I can't find anywhere which is buying much above average. Most are buying well below average.

Which sectors are good for selling raw silicon.
I have a large freighter with a jumpdrive, so can get to most areas I have explored so far.(Bottom & right parts of the map still to go.)

Thanks for your help
RIP PJK - Gone but not forgotten
The lessons you taught will be forever remembered
The master is remembered by many padowans

pref
x4

Post by pref » Tue, 27. Oct 15, 12:02

I'd turn them into crystals if that's an option: much higher demand, and better cargosapce utilization.
Also more useful for energy transport between player owned plexes.

The NME
x4

Post by The NME » Tue, 27. Oct 15, 13:05

Haven't got that option at the moment.
Just started, & funds are limited.
I do have plans for a shield/weapons complex, which needs silicon & ore.
So Antigone Memorial is ideally placed.
I have got the mines in place now, and have no problem selling the ore, but the silicon is giving me a headache at the moment.

I know this is only a short term measure, but I may as well try to manually sell the silicon at the moment.

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Tue, 27. Oct 15, 15:13

Generally, the Argon Prime vicinity (including Antigone Memorial) has a plentiful supply of virtually everything it needs EXCEPT the transport capacity to move those resources to the factories where they are needed. Ferrying E-Cells (and Cahoonas, once enough E-cells are available) may not be a huge paying job, but dedicating a couple of traders to the task will cause that entire region to ramp up production. That will require more of everything, including your Silicon, and open up additional opportunities for trade as well.

I'd invest in a couple of Sector Traders, then restart them as Local Traders (STs with a Range < 0) when they reach Level 6.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Tue, 27. Oct 15, 15:44

For the weapon plex you will need to turn that silicon into crystals as well, so its not a wasted investment in that sense.
There is not much need for silicon otherwise, few fabs deal in it and in low quantities (tech fabs mostly, like chip, computer and sat).
You can let it pile up until you can extend the plex and use it up - probably investing time in other deals will bring you more profits.

The main Argon area (Argon prime - Elena's Fortune) should have some fabs consuming Silicon unless you got unlucky with NPC battles.

You can also take a higher level CLS, and just generate waypoints to sell silicon - this way you can get a list of fabs that could buy your stuff, and check your max possible sales volume.
Low level CLS is limited by number of waypoints so they will only list the first few they find in the area.

Or just assign a CAG to the plex to sell silicon for whatever price it can. It will prefer the more lucrative deals on its own.

The NME
x4

Post by The NME » Tue, 27. Oct 15, 20:48

Haven't got enough funds to add to it yet.
Silicon was a steady seller early on in the older X games.
In that case I think I will just let it build up & hold stock until I need it

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Tue, 27. Oct 15, 21:15

The NME wrote:I do have plans for a shield/weapons complex, which needs silicon & ore.
While NPC factories for these require* Silicon, player owned versions of these need only Ore. I agree with Pref, your best use for that Si is for Crystals in the first instance and perhaps Microchips later on for high profit, and while you build up some credits for the food and crystal fabs stimulating the local economy to create demand for your Si is also a good idea.

* I learnt relatively recently that NPC fabs that have both Si and Ore as resources actually only need one or the other to continue production
Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!
X3AP 3.1 Printable Universe Sector Map

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Wed, 28. Oct 15, 01:07

While silicon was the mineral to sell in Reunion to kick start your bank roll, TC and AP nerfed that money maker.

The good news is that silicon, and much more will be needed down the road for one of the plots. The bad news is you aren't making any money off of your investment.

You do have some options.
1. If you have a save prior to buying the silicon mines, revert to it.
2. If you have no save and don't feel you'd lose much, start another game.
3. If you are playing modified, you could always cheat the asteroids destroyed and cheat the cost to build them back into your funds.
4. And finally, at least from me, finally, lemonade out of lemons. Set the silicon price to average-1, open the mines up to NPC trading, and let the NPCs come to you. You probably want to use your own CAG to supply energy cells, but you could even get the NPCs to provide that when your stations/complex have enough money to support that.

A benefit in letting the NPC transports come to buy your silicon is you may end up selling silicon to a single consumer to two or three different buyers. You make three times the profit off of one station's needs. Of course you aren't making the most money you can off of silicon, but since there's no serious silicon shortage in the Argon Prime area, you probably wouldn't get that price anyway.

The NME
x4

Post by The NME » Wed, 28. Oct 15, 08:55

Okay guys, Thanks.

I did make them as long term investment, and will continue to treat them as such.

It's a suck it & wait approach then.

As it used to be a steady, but not great seller, I thought it still would be.

Slowly slowly catche monkey

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”