X3TC/X3AP and OBS Game Capture

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

dizzy
x4

X3TC/X3AP and OBS Game Capture

Post by dizzy » Wed, 11. Nov 15, 00:54

OK, this may not be something that Egosoft officially supports... but it's not really about modding either so not sure where to post this, here it goes: When trying to stream X3TC/X3AP using OBS (the most popular game streaming software right now) and using its "Game Capture" plugin (the main method most games are streamed with it, especially if they aren't old Dosbox games) I noticed that no cutscenes get played. The fact that the intro is skipped isn't a big deal but it doesn't even display the portraits of people that you communicate with in the game, it shows a blank black screen there (which leads me to believe that the portraits are actually short video clips the game is playing) and that's a pretty big problem.

I can workaround this by using the OBS "Monitor Capture" plugin but that's a lot more resources consuming so I wonder if anyone has any idea why this could be happening. Like, I'm hoping that it's some kind of video codec issues that can be solved by installing some system codecs. So anyone know what technology X3 is using to display its cutscenes and the communication portraits or what is going wrong here?

Thanks!

PS: I'm using the recently released GOG copy of the games
X3LU 1.5.2/1.7.0 Youtube series with: IEX 1.5b + LUVi, SIaF r7 (previously also used Phanon Plus 4.02, Revelation Plus 1.04, Diverse Game Starts - LU Edition)
[ external image ]

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 11. Nov 15, 03:20

Videos in the X3 games are replayed using DirectShow, if that helps you at all.

dizzy
x4

Post by dizzy » Wed, 11. Nov 15, 23:43

Thanks for your answer, actually that might explain it. I'll use different capture modes with OBS then, "monitor capture" works well (other than being slow) and "window capture" may work even better. The "game capture" plugin I was trying to use tries to capture directly the DirectX framebuffer.
X3LU 1.5.2/1.7.0 Youtube series with: IEX 1.5b + LUVi, SIaF r7 (previously also used Phanon Plus 4.02, Revelation Plus 1.04, Diverse Game Starts - LU Edition)
[ external image ]

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”