Looking for .obj ship and station files.

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

TKup93

Looking for .obj ship and station files.

Post by TKup93 » Sun, 13. Dec 15, 06:33

Hi, as the title implies I'm looking for some help or rather someone to extract stations and ships from the game and convert them into .obj files. I can't seem to do it, I've been trying for a while and just can't get it to work. I am still trying, for this reason I am looking for someone's help. I can offer you some cash, maybe through steam or PayPal. Not much, but something to cover your time.

Let me know! PM or reply here if interested.
Computer Specs: Case: Antec Solo Mobo: MSI Z68A-G45
CPU: i7 2600k Sandy 4.2Ghz OC Coolermaster Hyper 212+ fan RAM: 8GB DDR3 Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 560Ti 1GB SSD: 240GB Intel SATA III HDD: 2x 320GB RAID
Monitor: Syncmaster 2233c Total Cost: <$600

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Sun, 13. Dec 15, 12:04

... and .. whats the problem ??

... you can find out which file contains the models geometry / verticesby opening its scene file
... look into the scene file for the \ship\ path
... you can find out which scene is assigned to a certain ship by opening & looking in the TShips file (via X3Editor2 from doubleshadow)
... finally, when you've extracted the model file, you have to convert it from .bob file extension into a readable text file, therefore use X2 BOB BOD Compiler from doubleshadow (afaik its included in to X3Editor2)

... now you have a text file with the vertices, and to X3 independent work starts here: write a piece of code that converts that text file into .obj format
(separate vertex position coords / normals / texcoords etc)

example: argon TL
in TShips you'll find that its scene file is: objects\ships\argon\argon_TL_scene --- > extract that file
--> oopen that extracted file with a simple text editor --> find the model path --> it is: objects\ships\argon\argon_TL

now open a second instance of the x3editor2 --> click on Plugin --> click on bod compiler
(click on plugin --> cat manager) navigate in the first X3editor2 window to the model file --> drag and drop it into the second window (= he bod compiler)
select the button BOB to BOD --> click on convert

... result: in the installation path of the x3editor2 you now should find a file named argon_TL.bod which can be opened by a simple text editor ...

=======================

i think it should also be possible by using gmax
To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Mission Director Beispiele

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Mon, 14. Dec 15, 01:23

And what's the purpose of exporting this?
This is a pretty questionable subject, simply exporting game contents to be repurposed elsewhere is not legal.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

TKup93

Post by TKup93 » Mon, 14. Dec 15, 08:24

I use .obj format to load into a Starmade program to use the hulls as a base to play with them in Starmade. Not making any money off of it or using it to further anything else. I just love the hull designs of the X series ships and like seeing their greatness in other games I like playing.
Computer Specs: Case: Antec Solo Mobo: MSI Z68A-G45
CPU: i7 2600k Sandy 4.2Ghz OC Coolermaster Hyper 212+ fan RAM: 8GB DDR3 Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 560Ti 1GB SSD: 240GB Intel SATA III HDD: 2x 320GB RAID
Monitor: Syncmaster 2233c Total Cost: <$600

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”