My 1st Fighter

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Trev4elvis
x3tc

My 1st Fighter

Post by Trev4elvis » Thu, 31. Dec 15, 10:33

I have just bought my first fighter in x3 Reunion but I am struggling on a few things.

How do I set my weapons into different groups

Do I used all 8 weapon slots

I bought a Nova which has 8 weapon slots should I use 8 AHepts

Thanks

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 31. Dec 15, 13:20

There are four buttons to the left of each laser on the HUD, as I recall, and you simply select those to determine which groups each laser is in. You probably want to use all 8 weapon slots, but you don't want to fill them all with the same gun--it's always good to have some faster guns (like PAC) available for when you're fighting small, nimble fighters that your HEPTs will have difficulty tracking. My usual loadout on an Eclipse (M3+) in X3R was four AHEPTs and four APACs--I'd use all eight for big stuff, just the HEPTs for larger fighters and just the PACs for M4 and M5 craft.

Trev4elvis
x3tc

Post by Trev4elvis » Thu, 31. Dec 15, 16:43

Hi When I am docked I can look at weapons but can only change weapons but not assign to groups. When in space I can see the weapons on left side and can press 1-4 but can't list what weapons for each group.

In a Nova do you need to have Ion Disruptor in a couple of slots to take down shields to capture ships ?

Thanks for other advise

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Weapons

Post by Bill Huntington » Thu, 31. Dec 15, 17:13

I didn't stay with XR very long, but the weapons slots are probably the same. For capping purposes, I use 3 PACs and 5 IREs. The PACs are good for taking down the shields, then I have the IREs on button two and use them to take down the hull. The weaker weapon gives you more shots and more chances for a bail. You can choose which weapons slot goes with number. I put 1-3 with button 1 and 4-8 with button 2.

HEPTs are a great weapon, but PACs are good enough. Just three of either one is more combat power than you need. Your weapons reload rate is the key number. You'll run out of E very quickly with more than three bigger weapons. Ion weapons have some problems, like tearing up any other ships close by, including your own. They are also slow taking down the hull. And you want to take the hull down to 86% before you can cap a ship.

I get the hull down close to 86 then take it the rest of the way with the IRE. The PBE is also good, but you can only use it on Split ships. The actual number of the first bail check is 87.25%, but you don't have access to that. You'll know you passed that when you see hull 86%. Ask if you want a full discussion of the capping process. It's one of the fun things in TC and AP. And there's $ too.

Good luck!
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Thu, 31. Dec 15, 18:44

I had to look this up in the manual. It's on the downloads on the egosoft.com site, not the forums.

I believe you can do it while docked, but you have to actually manually click the four buttons beside your weapons to add them to that group. They pop-up when selected. Then you can use 1-4 to switch between active groups.

Haven't played Reunion in a long time now.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Araknis
x4

Post by Araknis » Fri, 1. Jan 16, 00:31

Hey,
if you still need help i can always find my old Reunion saves and check it out.
Apart from that, a fighter you should be aiming for in my opinion, is the Xenon LX. After i got it, it was end game for me. One of the most powerful fighters and my all time favorite in Reunion. After that it was the Nova Raider.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Fri, 1. Jan 16, 01:20

The only more insanely overpowered ship in Reunion was the Hyperion. LX is the best fighter period.

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Sat, 2. Jan 16, 18:03

Meh in reunion any fighter that could mount PBG was overpowered by default.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 2. Jan 16, 20:50

hisazul wrote:Meh in reunion any fighter that could mount PBG was overpowered by default.
The PBG didn't exist in X3R. Did you mean PSG? Because I don't think there were any fighters in X3R that could mount those, unlike X2--they were a capital-only weapon.

Siigari
x4

Post by Siigari » Sun, 3. Jan 16, 02:27

Congrats on your first fighter ship, Trev!

Hey, I've got a question, too.

The past day I've been diligently collecting whatever ships pop up. It's been a rough day actually, with a few crappy losses. I managed to get a Kea pilot to eject. I was stoked. I continued the fight and right after I cleaned up the last couple pirates, I swung over to my prize and there was a torpedo directly inbound from one of the ally ships. I barely saw it and only had about 1-2 seconds before I realized what was actually happening and then it blew up.

I ragequit for a few hours. I mean, screaming profanities at NPCs is classy, right?

Anyway, I got back on and now have managed to capture a Nova Raider! Woot :D This time I have it for sure.

Here is my little list of ships I've collected:

[ external image ]

Right now I'm in a Buster with the following:

[ external image ]

My gameplan is to do some trading with the Mercury, and so I am going to have to liquidate a few ships to get the money to afford the mk3 trade package. What should I ideally be flying? I've got about 800k credits on me right now. Note, I'd like to keep the Octopus. Having a fast little 560 m/s wonder is kinda neat. :)

edit: looks like my Octopus has done something good here!

[ external image ]

lol I can buy another one sometime :) Got 405k credits for it!
I USE XRM - my post questions and comments revolve around it!

Core i7 3770k / Twin EVGA 770 GTX / 16 GB G.Skill RAM / OCZ Agility 120 GB SSD / Triple Asus MX279H 27" LED / Asus Xonar Essence STX / Mionix Naos 7200 | Mionix Zibal 60

Araknis
x4

Post by Araknis » Sun, 3. Jan 16, 02:59

Siigari wrote: Hey, I've got a question, too.
The Nova Raider is a very nice upgrade, from your buster. I laughed hard at the rage quit part, probably because i have done it many times.
I would do the following:
Sell everything, keep 1 cargo ship with the biggest cargo hold, get the MK3 and set it up for sector trader in Home of Light.
With the remaining credits, which will be plenty, pimp the nova and go make more ships bail.
Also keep the express. It's a passenger transport, save credits to buy 21 marines and load them all on your express (i think it can hold up to 30) then park it in a military outpost and train marines like crazy, so you can be ready for boarding bigger ships.
Add sector traders as you get more ships to bail, but dont buy cargo ships, just use the ones that bail. and invest in your marines.
You can also keep that octopus you like so much and go exploring. I was lucky in my early Vanilla game, while exploring, to find a Kha'ak Corvette (M6) in the unknown sector, near Getsu Fune, right after the Xenon Sector.
That's not a spoiler cause the spawns are random in each game start.

That helped me a lot. It can carry up to 8 marines and i used it to board anything up to m6, military transports etc.
Your goal in Vanilla game, for a personal fighter / exploration / anything you can think of ships is ofc :
Spoiler
Show
The Hyperion Vanguard
There is always 1 flying somewhere in Paranid space and you will have to board it to get it, meaning you ll loose Paranid reputation.
Its by far the best and most OP M6 in the game, with 2!!! hangar docks
so you can e.g dock your nova for smaller fighter dog fights, or your octopus for rapid exploration (jump in a sector, switch to octopus, explore, back to Hyperion).
Also for carrying around 2 extra jumpdrives, when capping capitals in hostile territory. You transfer the jumpdrive and cells to the cap and jump it out, then trade the jumpdrive from one of your smaller docked ships with your Hyperion and jump out your self.
I would stick to sector trading, even if your traders reach lvl10.
Start Universal traders either when you have created a Universe you are comfortable with, or use the blacklist manager and rule out any hostile sectors that your traders, shouldnt visit.

Siigari
x4

Post by Siigari » Sun, 3. Jan 16, 03:27

Araknis wrote: Your goal in Vanilla game, for a personal fighter / exploration / anything you can think of ships is ofc :
Nice. And thanks for the solid advice! It's been a few years, so a couple questions. Also I am playing XRM.

1) Does Sector trader just trade in one system? (sector, so like, Argon Prime is one sector.)
2) I'm gunning for doing a little bit of pew pew, alongside the trading and want to build my first complex. I built a couple distilleries back in 2011 I think, and that was awesome. But yeah, new game.
I USE XRM - my post questions and comments revolve around it!

Core i7 3770k / Twin EVGA 770 GTX / 16 GB G.Skill RAM / OCZ Agility 120 GB SSD / Triple Asus MX279H 27" LED / Asus Xonar Essence STX / Mionix Naos 7200 | Mionix Zibal 60

Araknis
x4

Post by Araknis » Sun, 3. Jan 16, 03:30

Siigari wrote: Nice. And thanks for the solid advice! It's been a few years, so a couple questions. Also I am playing XRM.

1) Does Sector trader just trade in one system? (sector, so like, Argon Prime is one sector.)
2) I'm gunning for doing a little bit of pew pew, alongside the trading and want to build my first complex. I built a couple distilleries back in 2011 I think, and that was awesome. But yeah, new game.
I 'll reply to your other thread, or send you a pm if you like cause we hijacked the OP's thread here.

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Sun, 3. Jan 16, 11:13

pjknibbs wrote:
hisazul wrote:Meh in reunion any fighter that could mount PBG was overpowered by default.
The PBG didn't exist in X3R. Did you mean PSG? Because I don't think there were any fighters in X3R that could mount those, unlike X2--they were a capital-only weapon.
I could swear X3R had PBGs... tsk... memory going places. TC brought in so many fun weapons, maybe it's TC I'm remembering. Going from slowpoke nova to susanova with a full set of PBG was pure wuv, TC was great that way and then venti broke things :lol:
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sun, 3. Jan 16, 16:11

PSG's could be mounted on the Susanowa in Reunion. And on the tail of the Nemesis. Those were very nasty surprises the first time you encountered them.

Not quite as nasty as surprise PBG, but still unpleasant.

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Tue, 5. Jan 16, 00:29

Triaxx2 wrote:PSG's could be mounted on the Susanowa in Reunion. And on the tail of the Nemesis. Those were very nasty surprises the first time you encountered them.

Not quite as nasty as surprise PBG, but still unpleasant.
Both do the same thing, PBG just does it more "elegantly" and with less lag :lol:

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 5. Jan 16, 02:32

PBG seems much more concentrated, and seems to hit more than the PSG. I wonder if it's because PBG projects forward, while PSG projects outward more than forward.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”