How to change satellite's / adv. satellite's / scanner radar range?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

noname159
x3ap

How to change satellite's / adv. satellite's / scanner radar range?

Post by noname159 » Thu, 31. Dec 15, 23:38

OK, I admit I am near-noob when modding X3AP, and I completely failed to understand how can I increase the range of my satellites, or even range of my duplex / triplex / etc scanners. I have looked into Tships and found both satellite and advanced satellite, but I can't find how to change their radar range. I bet I can find duplex / triplex in ware files but again, no idea what to change. I guess it's located in some other file that I can't find.

BlackArchon
xr

Post by BlackArchon » Thu, 31. Dec 15, 23:55

You are right, these ranges a defined in another file, types\Globals.txt. Search for "SG_SCANNER_RANGE_" and you will find the ranges. Multiply these values with 2 millimeter (Egosoft's standard unit for distances) and you have the real ranges.

noname159
x3ap

Post by noname159 » Fri, 1. Jan 16, 00:00

OMG, who uses 2mm as standard unit for distance?
Thanks for help. I would have never guessed to look there.

devilofbelfast
xr

Post by devilofbelfast » Fri, 1. Jan 16, 00:09

its the globals file you are looking for

do not modify the scanner ranges on sats or ship scanners. every time i have tried it, it results in a game crash when zooming in on the sector map.

the only workaround i found was to increase the stations sensors and leave the rest of them alone. just add two zero's to the station scanner entry and you'll get extremely long range coverage

*edit for spelling
the four most important things iv'e found out,
1, your birth certificate is an apology letter from the condom factory.
2, dont argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experiance.
3, if gods watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining,
4, Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

noname159
x3ap

Post by noname159 » Fri, 1. Jan 16, 00:23

I have extracted globals.pcx with X3 Editor 2, edited the globals.txt - greatly increasing the scan range on satellites and ship equipment - and even increased comm range to 200km, because, frankly, it was always unrealistic how close you had to be to speak with someone in space.
Then I added the file back into the cat file and voila - game is running, radar range is greatly increased.
Mission accomplished. Now if I only could turn my satelites invisible to spy on those pesky xenons and pirates :)
OP, I know, but very useful :)
Thanks for help.

BlackArchon
xr

Post by BlackArchon » Fri, 1. Jan 16, 00:50

About turning your satellites invisible: Gazz has done something similar to the lasertowers. Maybe you can adopt his solution: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=127826

noname159
x3ap

Post by noname159 » Fri, 1. Jan 16, 08:44

I know, I love Ring of Fire mod, but my modding is way, way too low to replicate it ATM.

Jack08
x3tc

Post by Jack08 » Fri, 1. Jan 16, 08:50

I'm reasonably, but not totally, sure that Gazz's mod despawns the laser towers until enemies are near, which means you cant do the same thing with satilties.
[ external image ]
"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible."
―Farengar Secret-Fire

noname159
x3ap

Post by noname159 » Fri, 1. Jan 16, 08:53

Quite possible. Would be nice to have true invisibility on our little spies :)
It still amazes me that many years after releasing Albion Prelude there are still people on forum talking :)

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”