Why are weapons so quiet when flying capital ships?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Syrez
x4

Why are weapons so quiet when flying capital ships?

Post by Syrez » Sat, 2. Jan 16, 08:00

First off, I'm not sure where this kind of question belongs on the forums. It was either Tech Support or Scripts/Modding and I don't think this relates to any technical issue as far as I'm aware.

Basically when I'm flying a capital class vessel (usually the big ones, like destroyers and carriers) I find it much easier (and prettier) to fly around and do battle in third person (external view). However, when flying in third person I can't seem to hear anything that's close to my ship, all weapons (both my own and those of others) and explosions are silent when in battle.

Unless I'm mistaken, there's probably some sort of audio falloff range where sound beyond a certain distance isn't audible (obviously to prevent annoying players with everything that goes on in an entire system). But it seems that rather than having the falloff range begin at my ship, it's attached to the camera instead which really irks me when commanding large ships.

Basically what I'd like to ask is if there's any way I make it so this 'falloff range' begins at my ship? Or is there already something available (a mod, anything at all) that has it so I can actually hear things going on around my ship when flying large vessels?

I've tried searching all over the Internet for days on end, and every time I come back to playing X3 Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude I'm always checking to see if someone else has asked about this or created a solution. Since so much time has gone by with literally nobody else even talking about it yet (at least from what I can see over time), I thought that I might as well finally ask here myself.

I'd really appreciate any help or guidance. :)

Thanks in advance.

SirDeathwalker
x4

Post by SirDeathwalker » Tue, 16. Feb 16, 19:02

for truly immersive, there is no sound in space (in space, no one can hear you scream)
but I get the annoyance, in truth, outside the ship would be quiet and eerie watching a space battle. you get sound inside the ship because the sound is transmitted through the atmosphere (though, realistically, you would only heat your weapons fire and only hear impacts on your ship, misses would be silent)

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Tue, 16. Feb 16, 19:20

The scale of sound is not real.

OneOfMany
x4

Post by OneOfMany » Tue, 16. Feb 16, 23:10

When you're in a huge chunky battle ship standing on the bridge, most of the ships weapons are about 1.5 km away from you. This would deaden the sound somewhat.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”