[X3AP] Mysterious crates that can't be collected

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

MarvinTheMartian
x4

[X3AP] Mysterious crates that can't be collected

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Tue, 5. Jan 16, 06:55

They're not mystery crates as I know what's (meant to be) in them but they are mysterious because they don't appear on the sector map and they explode when you try to collect them.

I first encountered these in Lasting Vengeance on my way to the Duke's HQ and saw the icon in the HUD for a floating ware, selected it and it was Flail Barrage missiles so I looked at the map to see how many and no collectable wares were shown so I tried to collect 1 of the 5 crates all next to each other and it exploded like I had a full cargo hold (I didn't), so I tried to pick up the next with a Kraken and the same thing happened, tried again with an Elephant and again the same thing.

Clearly they can't be collected which is a shame and probably a bug - either that they're there at all or that they can't be collected. Same thing happened yesterday in Treasure Chest, 5 crates of Hammer Heavy Torps that couldn't be collected and after a reload and entering the sector again it was 5 crates of Tomahawks. They persist if you leave and re-enter the sector.

Anyone else seen these? And any word on weather they were intended to be hidden loot gone buggy or Pandora Crates gone nuts? They're not off the beaten track, so far smack in the middle of the sector.
Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!
X3AP 3.1 Printable Universe Sector Map

ThommoHawk
x4

Post by ThommoHawk » Tue, 5. Jan 16, 07:22

^ can't say I recall that occurring, provided your cargo space is 1) sufficient, and has the right cargo type specs ie s/m/l, or 2) playing an earlier game which requires the 'cargo bay open' command, (I know the post shows it's AP) there is no reason for the crates to die when collecting.

Have you tried jumping, to get one of your ships to 'collect ware' while oos? prior to doing this i'd first save, manually attempt a cargo crate pickup, if the crate explodes, this confirms it to be a 'exploding crate', so then I'd leave the sector and get one of my other ships to collect the ware, using 'special command software' commands. Would be interesting to see if it works that way.
[XTrilogy]: Holy Argnu cows! I have found it! An asteroid of pure ore - 100% - I am rich! Now, I just need to find one like that made from silicon. hmmm, where do I want to go today?
X REBIRTH? "JUST A TOURIST until X4 IS RELEASED! Because That SUPERNOVA sure went FUBAR" (Quoting T.Hawk. Read all about it at: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353678) :x3:

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Tue, 5. Jan 16, 07:40

ThommoHawk wrote:I'd leave the sector and get one of my other ships to collect the ware, using 'special command software' commands. Would be interesting to see if it works that way.
Haven't tried this as the ware doesn't appear on the sector map and I'm pretty sure the "collect wares in sector..." command won't work as this is the command my Hyperion was running when I noticed them and it ignored them.

Normally, so long as you have room for at least 1 of that ware it will collect the crate and give you 1 and discard the rest - it only explodes when you don't have room for at least 1. That's why I brought the Kraken in as I thought it might be some special crate that only a ship capable of equipping the ware can collect it but no. Only a small sample so far but so far it's only been barrage missiles.

It is vanilla AP 3.1 but odd that it's not been reported before, that I've seen anyway.
Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!
X3AP 3.1 Printable Universe Sector Map

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Tue, 5. Jan 16, 08:29

I've given up trying to collect those. I've seen quite a few in UFJD sectors as well. Maybe they are just decoys placed by pirate duck hunters that gave up the hunt.

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Tue, 5. Jan 16, 10:12

Seen those, pretty sure they are just bugged out due to who knows what reason random drops.

Only things I'm aware of that spawn legitimately with hidden and secret flags are tuning crates on generation and tuning crates in UFJD, oh and Aran. I'd imagine the culprit would be "racelogic" flag that flag seems to do a lot of things and responsible for a lot of variations mayhaps that doesn't get set properly or something. With the right racelogic capital ships without pilots can be claimed :P
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

glenmcd
x3tc

Post by glenmcd » Sun, 17. Jan 16, 07:40

I see these all the time, and even see them spawn after destroying them. I think they are normally at the dead centre of a sector. I see them in my modded game because coverage of scanners in that game is higher. Looks like a bug to me. Things that spawn in sector such as used ships always appear in sector centre first but only for a milisecond. So when entering a sector you can often see the yellow C icon at sector centre, alerting you that a used ship has just spawned. I guess that wares needed for spawned ships may take this path also, but bug in code forgets to remove from sector centre? Just a guess.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”