EDTracker works ok now

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Nosscar
x4

EDTracker works ok now

Post by Nosscar » Wed, 27. Jan 16, 20:29

Just a quick heads up for those that didn't know, The Cheap edtracker (headtracker around £30-40) now works ok in beta 6 with the new camera controls, i just set mine to camera up\down & left\right and it works pretty good in the cockpit now.
[ external image ]
Asus Tuf A17 Ryzen 7 - 4800h, GTX 1660ti, 16mb ram, ssd drive. win 11.

Aken_Bosch
Moderator (Italiano)
Moderator (Italiano)
x4

Post by Aken_Bosch » Wed, 27. Jan 16, 21:13

Wait, are you talking about simple fixed up/down and left/right movement, or full free look around linked to head movement? (minus head tilt and swaying of course)

Because if freelook finally works with headtracking, there are solutions even cheaper than the edtracker, and I'm definitely losing my life again in XR soon. :D

EasyAccess

Post by EasyAccess » Wed, 27. Jan 16, 22:30

Cheaper alternatives?

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Thu, 28. Jan 16, 01:50

Aken_Bosch wrote:Wait, are you talking about simple fixed up/down and left/right movement, or full free look around linked to head movement? (minus head tilt and swaying of course)

Because if freelook finally works with headtracking, there are solutions even cheaper than the edtracker, and I'm definitely losing my life again in XR soon. :D
i think it is basic look around in the cockpit, (simple up\down and left\right only) also gives the same in external camera view, but i can look to left and down, and up then right ect, so seems pretty good. Not sure of anything cheaper than the edtracker though, many people even build it themselves for as little as £10.
Been using it for hrs today, along with my t-flight hotas.

This one is what i use, the 9150. http://edtracker.org.uk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4hyMbHpl18 (in action here)
[ external image ]

Aken_Bosch
Moderator (Italiano)
Moderator (Italiano)
x4

Post by Aken_Bosch » Thu, 28. Jan 16, 11:29

I hoped that, since you should now be able to have complete free look around the cockpit, this could be translated to proper head tracking movement...well I think we'll see soon when it comes out officially. ;)

About the cheap head-tracking solutions (of which edtracker is one, and very good at it as it seems), excluding the "FaceTrackNoIR" thing that I consider very lacking (though it comes almost for free :D) I was talking about using a smartphone or similar device equipped with gyroscopes or accelerometers...yes a relatively well-equipped smarthpone doesn't come cheap, but provided you have one already, it can be put to good use!

Personally, having already an "old" (but gold) Galaxy S3, I just needed this software with its brief tutorial and I was good to go in 15 minutes...objectively, the wireless tracking was quite a bit laggy, so I had to invest in a 4 € usb cable for tethering it to pc, smooth as butter from that moment on. :D

The result is not as sharp as a TrackIR of course (can't speak for the edtracker, but it seems pretty spot on too), but for a 4 € and half an hour investment (not counting the already owned smartphone, your mileage may vary) is far more than adequate...after some time spent in tweaking sensibility curves and deadzones, I now have a pretty responsive solutions, it only suffers from some drift in case of sharp/sudden movements to far sides of the field, but it can be re-centered in a snap while playing (I heard it happens even with "real" head-trackers sometimes too)...it works wonders in Elite while fighting or simply flying around (here's a video of the first test I made with it, I still had to refine the tweaking but it was already quite good for gaming), I can only imagine how it could be to have the same thing while flying around the majestic structures of Rebirth!

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Thu, 28. Jan 16, 11:59

Aken_Bosch wrote:Wait, are you talking about simple fixed up/down and left/right movement, or full free look around linked to head movement? (minus head tilt and swaying of course)

Aken_Bosch wrote:I hoped that, since you should now be able to have complete free look around the cockpit, this could be translated to proper head tracking movement...well I think we'll see soon when it comes out officially. ;)

About the cheap head-tracking solutions (of which edtracker is one, and very good at it as it seems), excluding the "FaceTrackNoIR" thing that I consider very lacking (though it comes almost for free :D) I was talking about using a smartphone or similar device equipped with gyroscopes or accelerometers...yes a relatively well-equipped smarthpone doesn't come cheap, but provided you have one already, it can be put to good use!

Personally, having already an "old" (but gold) Galaxy S3, I just needed this software with its brief tutorial and I was good to go in 15 minutes...objectively, the wireless tracking was quite a bit laggy, so I had to invest in a 4 € usb cable for tethering it to pc, smooth as butter from that moment on. :D

The result is not as sharp as a TrackIR of course (can't speak for the edtracker, but it seems pretty spot on too), but for a 4 € and half an hour investment (not counting the already owned smartphone, your mileage may vary) is far more than adequate...after some time spent in tweaking sensibility curves and deadzones, I now have a pretty responsive solutions, it only suffers from some drift in case of sharp/sudden movements to far sides of the field, but it can be re-centered in a snap while playing (I heard it happens even with "real" head-trackers sometimes too)...it works wonders in Elite while fighting or simply flying around (here's a video of the first test I made with it, I still had to refine the tweaking but it was already quite good for gaming), I can only imagine how it could be to have the same thing while flying around the majestic structures of Rebirth!
Ok, so just for you i uploaded a video highlighting the EDTracker in use within the cockpit. As you can see it works ok, not too bad at all. I have not used opentrack, or even sure if that would work, this is just bound to the camera controls, i am not touching any keys, just moving my head, i have not tried to tweak it in anyway, it just worked as it was.
I intend to try the freelook settings to see if i can tweak it somehow.

And the phone looked to work good in that video, great idea too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVnz585irec[url][/url]
[ external image ]

TheGaelicWarrior

Post by TheGaelicWarrior » Fri, 12. Feb 16, 16:42

Trackir doesn't work with this game unfortunately.
“Writing in English is the most ingenious torture ever devised for sins committed in previous lives. The English reading public explains the reason why.”
― James Joyce

reanor
x4

Post by reanor » Fri, 12. Feb 16, 16:58

Can you bind trackir to same 4 axis? Left/right, up/down?
“The dark and the light, they exist side by side." ... “It is often in the darkest skies that we see the brightest stars."

TheGaelicWarrior

Post by TheGaelicWarrior » Fri, 12. Feb 16, 17:17

Tried but it didn't work.
“Writing in English is the most ingenious torture ever devised for sins committed in previous lives. The English reading public explains the reason why.”
― James Joyce

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Sat, 13. Feb 16, 13:18

Shame the Trackr doesn't work, but the edtracker is quite cheap, i think that it woks because windows just see's it as a joystick, (make sure you add the tracker as a joystick in the games control settings) so allows for it to bind to the four camera axis.
I need to try it with the up\left & down\right ect settings too, it might work for that.

It is rudimentary and simple, yet it does work well enough, even though i don't use it much, as i play this as a building game and i am not much into traveling and combat.
I might add that i use windows 10, so not tested in any other OS.
[ external image ]

reanor
x4

Post by reanor » Tue, 16. Feb 16, 19:39

Is there a way to bind free camera look to something? I don't see the option, must be looking in a wrong place. I want to be able to look around while in Skunk.
“The dark and the light, they exist side by side." ... “It is often in the darkest skies that we see the brightest stars."

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Tue, 16. Feb 16, 22:54

reanor wrote:Is there a way to bind free camera look to something? I don't see the option, must be looking in a wrong place. I want to be able to look around while in Skunk.
Yes, under general settings the camera controls also are used for look in the cockpit. I have a hat set to these when not using edtracker.
[ external image ]

Commander_K
x4

Post by Commander_K » Tue, 16. Feb 16, 23:57

Just to be clear, you are talking about the turn head left/right/up/down, not the mouse free look new in 4.00. There are (as far as I know) no separate axes to bind something to for that.

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Wed, 17. Feb 16, 00:08

Commander_K wrote:Just to be clear, you are talking about the turn head left/right/up/down, not the mouse free look new in 4.00. There are (as far as I know) no separate axes to bind something to for that.
Yes i find that the camera look bindings are for the external view, and also the cockpit view. That is in beta 4 anyway.
The mouse free look also works normally as well. But those camera controls do the same job.
Although the camera controls are not axis, just buttons, left\right ect.
[ external image ]

rafezetter
x3

Post by rafezetter » Sat, 3. Mar 18, 20:59

I've got an edtracker from the elite dangerous community, and was wondering if anyone has used it in X:R?

I've tried setting it up according to this page (mouse emulation output for mouselook)

http://www.edtracker.org.uk/index.php/using/opentrack

without success, or I've done it wrong - I'm getting no movement of any kind, even though the edtracker config UI is showing movement as normal.

rafezetter
x3

Post by rafezetter » Sat, 3. Mar 18, 21:46

• [I've got an edtracker from the elite dangerous community, and was wondering if anyone has used it in X:R?

I've tried setting it up according to this page (mouse emulation output for mouselook)

http://www.edtracker.org.uk/index.php/using/opentrack

without success, or I've done it wrong - I'm getting no movement of any kind, even though the edtracker config UI is showing movement as normal.]
I've got an edtracker too (one of the early ones) but I've never actually used it ingame can't figure out how to set it up to use in X:R.

I have posted this in another thread, as I hadn't seen this one. <Merged. Alan Phipps>

I've tried following an edtracker "opentrack" guide, with no success. Opentrack is registering the edtracker movements on its UI, but trying either output: mouse OR output:vjoy isn't working.

I've not used vjoy before either, and just have the driver for opentrack.

all in all its been a total bust, which is a shame. I'm trying all this as I use a hotas for X:R and use the POV hat for other things.

any help or guide would be really appreciated.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 3. Mar 18, 22:08

Aken_Bosch wrote:Personally, having already an "old" (but gold) Galaxy S3, I just needed this software with its brief tutorial and I was good to go in 15 minutes...objectively, the wireless tracking was quite a bit laggy, so I had to invest in a 4 € usb cable for tethering it to pc, smooth as butter from that moment on. :D
That's pretty cool! :D

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”