Question on TLs

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

steelwing_2
x4

Question on TLs

Post by steelwing_2 » Sat, 30. Jan 16, 14:26

So a TL can't directly dock at anything other than shipyards and equipment docks. How, then, does it load up with whatever it's supposed to transport? I've noticed TLs have hangars, so can they dock smaller transports that pick up freight for them and transfer it to the TL?
I ask because I've got a TL of my own (acquired through salvage), and I'd love to use it but it's gonna be tough if I can't load or unload things from it.

BlackArchon
xr

Post by BlackArchon » Sat, 30. Jan 16, 14:34

You can use a Transporter Device to beam cargo from your other ships to/from your TL.

steelwing_2
x4

Post by steelwing_2 » Sat, 30. Jan 16, 14:40

So I use TSes (or other ships) to pick up the cargo, bring it into range of the TL, and then the TL beams it aboard? OK, that's not too painful, though it might be faster to use the TSes for transport directly...
Seriously, what are TLs useful for, other than transporting stations/complexes?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 30. Jan 16, 14:43

They are great as massive storage bins when parked at your own docks and stations. They can also be used as fighter transporters and mobile ship supply bases with larger capacity than TMs. They can even be used to mine minerals or as mining base ships.
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Sat, 30. Jan 16, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

BlackArchon
xr

Post by BlackArchon » Sat, 30. Jan 16, 14:45

Oh you can also use Freight Drones to transport wares from stations to your TL - I just remembered.

TLs are mostly used for station transportation. However, you can also have some fun with them - I found a quite amusing video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li5zfwBTxSw

steelwing_2
x4

Post by steelwing_2 » Sat, 30. Jan 16, 14:54

I've read about Freight Drones. But I can't find anything indicating how to use them. How do you send your drones to a station to get cargo and bring it back? Does it require a software upgrade (like one of the Trade Command things)?

BlackArchon
xr

Post by BlackArchon » Sat, 30. Jan 16, 15:21

Oh, it's a long time since I played AP without any mods... I can't remember how exactly this worked, sorry. :(

fireanddream
xr

Post by fireanddream » Sat, 30. Jan 16, 17:01

I think you need special command software installed, then you get a "transfer wares via drones" command, select what wares you want to transfer to and back from a station and the drones will work like little fighters. They have 800 cargo space each.

Allan F
x3ap

Post by Allan F » Sat, 30. Jan 16, 19:00

Just buy a few Falcon Haulers - they can carry XL goods - and homebase them at your TL.
Maverick: Requesting permission for flyby.
Air Boss Johnson: That's a negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.
Goose: No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.
Maverick: Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz a Split.
Split: Split now give you .... Aaaarrriiiigh.

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Sat, 30. Jan 16, 22:21

The point of TLs is station building, they're not designed for cargo supply runs as that's the job of a TS. That doesn't of course mean you can't use them for other things as mentioned.

Transfer Freight via Drones requires Trade Command Software MK2. Drones are limited to 800 cargo space though and even if it uses multiple drones for 1 transaction (never tried myself but I think it'll do that) it's not very efficient. Transporter device is essential for ad-hoc transfers when you're not docked at one of your stations.

you're stuck with TS for trading with NPC stations but there is a vanilla safe mod that replaces the complex hub model allowing for 2 capital ship docking (and unlimited internal docking for M5 - M3), don't have the link to hand right now but it's easy enough to find. there's also another version that allows for 9 cap ship docking.
Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!
X3AP 3.1 Printable Universe Sector Map

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Sat, 30. Jan 16, 22:42

When it comes to the TC Hub plot, TLs can be an effective way to deliver massive quantities of the wares required. It's not unusual for me to have two TLs supporting mobile mining operations. For those who run mobile mining, it's not unusual to have 3 or more operations going with multiple TLs supporting each.

But come complex building, imagine 6 TLs dropping in on a sector, plus the TSs that will be required to support the new complex.

Black_hole_suN

Post by Black_hole_suN » Sat, 30. Jan 16, 23:42

steelwing_2 wrote:I've read about Freight Drones. But I can't find anything indicating how to use them. How do you send your drones to a station to get cargo and bring it back? Does it require a software upgrade (like one of the Trade Command things)?
Since fireanddream's answer is incomplete and no one seems to care about this question....

You can just eject the drone from your cargobay. When you do, you'll get a warning beep that tells you the drone is ready to use and you can order it from there. To retrieve your wares from the drone you could order it to "dock", "follow", "protect" you. When you have a free docking slot the drone will use that and all its wares will be transferred to your cargobay.

Or, when your ship doesnt have a docking space but has transporter device you could order the drone to get close then transfer the wares by beaming it over. To retrieve the drone, make sure it is stopped then just run over it like how you would collect a floating ware

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Sat, 30. Jan 16, 23:54

It's not so much I don't care, it's more like I don't have a game I can call up and check at the moment. I use the freight drones quite a bit. IIRC, and I may not, from a TL I've issued the command to transfer freight without having to eject any drones. I believe one free docking bay i required.

Freight transfer in vanilla is limited to use between the TL and owned stations. There is a mod that will allow you to trade with NPC stations, but after each drone the price changes so you may not get the best deals.

While I tend to put 4 Falcon Haulers and 5 freight drones on my TLs and capital ships, I'll use TSs and TPs more frequently to load up a TL.

Lea Flamma
x3tc

Post by Lea Flamma » Sun, 31. Jan 16, 03:13

MarvinTheMartian wrote:here is a vanilla safe mod that replaces the complex hub model allowing for 2 capital ship docking (and unlimited internal docking for M5 - M3), don't have the link to hand right now but it's easy enough to find. there's also another version that allows for 9 cap ship docking.
2 caps:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=244904
Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom.

fireanddream
xr

Post by fireanddream » Sun, 31. Jan 16, 03:52

In TC I used freight drones a lot because my headquarters wasn't available until end game. They shouldn't require any docking bay (on the capital ship) since I have transferred missiles/Ecells from my complex to an M7M several times already.

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Sun, 31. Jan 16, 08:32

Black_hole_suN wrote:Since fireanddream's answer is incomplete and no one seems to care about this question....
That's a bit harsh.
Transfer freight via drones is pretty self explanatory and I listed the software requirements.

what you describe is when you're the pilot of the TL, the trade commands will work whether you're piloting the TL or not and whether you're in or out of sector.

I think you can also buy/sell with NPC stations using drones and trade commands but as I said earlier, with 800 cargo limit this may not be practical.

If you're not too interested in station building and need a warehouse then you can always grab yourself an Aran, just don't expect it to move anywhere very fast. In AP you also have the option of the Ozias which is a TL that can (only) dock TS & TP.

It's not really clear from the original question whether you are trying to use a TL to trade with NPC stations or manage wares to/from your own stations. If it's NPC then stick to TS, if it's player stations then take a look at Commodity Logistics Software (CLS1/2) to automate the transfer of wares to the TL, just need a TS with CLS1/2 and a transporter device
Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!
X3AP 3.1 Printable Universe Sector Map

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Tue, 2. Feb 16, 16:15

I've used Freight Drones and Transporters, but often just dock the TL at the local Shipyard or Equipment Dock, then send my TS freighters there to transfer loads of cargo to or from the TL.

In essence, it's a mobile warehouse, a poor-man's Carrier, a resupply ship, and first and foremost, it can carry and build stations. Either I'm parking it (at a Shipyard or Equipment Dock) to use for storage and transfer, or else I've got it following my own ship as a multi-function support vessel, leaving a string of built stations behind me wherever I go (either for a Build mission or for personal ownership).

I also park bailed fighters there until I can (or am willing to) repair and/or sell them. Need a few extra E-Cells in a hurry? Grab 100 or so from the TL; it's got several thousand aboard. Full cargo bay of salvaged missiles and weapons on your fighter? Drop them off at the TL and go back for more. LOTS of uses. Add an M5 "gofer" (go 'fer this, go 'fer that) and you're ready to have it salvage the aftermath of a battle and stuff it all in the TL while you go about your business in the next sector (it's safer and faster if you're OOS while it works). Combine all that with a standard TS to do trades along the way, and you're ready to take advantage of any money-making opportunity you run into.

Note that the Split Elephant (the Paranid Hercules to a lesser extent) is primarily good for following the player ship and building STATIONS. The larger Mammoth, Atmospheric Lifter, and a few other TLs are better for building COMPLEXES or for bulk storage, because they can carry multiple stations at a time or huge amounts of other wares, but are slower and less maneuverable. The distinction becomes important later, once you are financially able to benefit from their individual strengths.

OniGanon

Post by OniGanon » Sun, 7. Feb 16, 00:36

In AP, I also use TLs to (very very slowly) clean up sectors I consider important but are annoyingly filled with rocks (eg: Seizewell).

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”