Trump

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

kohlrak

Post by kohlrak » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 03:47

Bishop149 wrote:
kohlrak wrote: There's no point in using a "bigger word" except to talk down to people. This is often why those of us who choose such words get viewed as arrogant
You see here I strongly disagree, "bigger words" are generally both more efficient and more nuanced. Both things that I think are desirable in effective verbal communication. English is an incredible language in this regard due to it's frankly rediculously huge vocabulary.
More nuanced, yes. More efficient, no. Not by any stretch of imagination (for example, "eat out" is 2 syllables, with 2 meanings, which are "eat somewhere other than home" [7 syllables, though i'm sure you could think of a 5 syllable expression] and a 6 syllable expression, which i'm relatively sure is used almost exclusively by people over the age of 10). There's a reason why children prefer "simple words" (Phrasal verbs). Honestly, I think the lack of education in such vocabulary and focus on "adult vocabulary" is where language learning tends to be lacking. Kids learn those constructions because it allows to stretch a limited vocabulary. Often times, second language learners neither need the nuance, or are too inexperienced to understand the nuance regardless. This is why you can see 10 year students of a given language understand all these big and complex words, but end up completely unable to communicate with anyone without a college degree. It's sad, really.

The japanese have figured this out, which is why it's so common on Lang-8 to see lots of posts where they insist on using and practicing phrasal verbs. These are precisely the expressions which, in this post, we're condemning. Why? Because the vocabulary stretching is invaluable. Worse yet, in reality, we often mix the "big words" with the "small words." I've noticed it seems to be way more common to do this in english than with any other language. This has lead them to understand that such constructions are absolutely necessary to communicate with us.
Any perception of arrogance I'm afraid has its basis in the insecurities of the perceiver, which can not be blamed upon the speaker. I can see why a politician might like to pander to the insecurities of the electorate (this is basically Trumps entire electoral strategy!) but I don't see it as something either healthy or desirable. Far better to educate people and help them to over come their insecurities.
If it were an actual improvement, perhaps, but it is not. Ever wonder why we don't like cussing? It's this attitude. People like to blame religion, because people always use religious excuses (and the quotes from the bible inevitably refer to something much, much different that the bible quoter is actually guilty of), but when i worked at Empire Kosher Poultry, i noticed the Rabbis say cuss much, much better. This is because there are no "bad words." We just have expressions that have a level of vulgarity that we understand looses it's potency as we abuse them. Unfortunately, we also have had elitists who suggest we shouldn't use such vocabulary at any point. Expressions have their meaning and value for a reason. We discover this every time we come up with a new word of "mentally handicapped." "Special" has become a "cuss word" in certain contexts. "Retarded," which is a french word, which clearly is considered nuanced and proper in english, has become a "cuss word." "Mentally handicapped" is getting to that point very quickly. Why? Because we need derogatory terms, including ones that we are allowed to say, and especially so to refer to people we disagree with, but don't have any arguments against (notice republicans are always "stupid" and or "uneducated" despite often having more of an education than over half the people making the claims?). Any attepts to stymie this will make the nuanced term less nuanced, and will require an even less efficient term to replace it. "See through" is pretty reliable, since we don't need something derogatory for that.
I dunno about you but the first thing I think if I hear a new word is NOT: "This speaker is unbearably arrogant!", but rather "Huh, I need to look that one up!" swiftly followed by "Cool, I must endeavour* to use that in future where appropriate"

*I originally wrote "try" here, see what I mean! "endeavour" conveys so much more information.
Except the nuance is wrong here. Finding a way to use the word is hardly difficult, which is the nuance that "endeavour" implies. If it didn't have that nuance, it'd only be a "more polite" variation of "try," which doesn't even need a polite variation for most conversations. I think it is good to encourage people to seek more education, but we should seek more practical education than simply "let's find ways to sound smarter." That only raises the bar, which also lowers the value of people who took the time to study such nuanced vocabulary. This example also shows precisely what happens that justifies it: the nuances get lost.
BugMeister wrote:- Trump's followers have no idea what "nuanced" means, let alone any ability to employ subtlety in language..
Are we sure of this? Are we sure that nuance escapes not only all Trump supporters, but Trump supporters exclusively? Actually, i think the nuance has escaped those who are not happy with his word choice: it's very nuanced in it's own way. If one needs to see someone who doesn't understand nuance, one only needs to watch the Obama-Putin breakfast video. It was the first time I felt embarrased by a US president.
- what's all the fuss about doctor's reporting on the health of any leader?
- we've been doing this for years in the UK - we're interested in their health..
Credibility is in question. Honestly, it seems more like nonsense to me. You can pay the doctor to say anything, and the doctor's credibility comes from the fact that he has a piece of paper calling him a doctor. Given how much people with other types of doctorates disagree on both fundemental and complex things, as well as sully the very name of their fields, i don't see how doctors carry much weight, these days, and not just medical doctors.
UniTrader wrote:regarding the Wall and Transparency: possibly he wanted to avoid using both words in the same Sentence, because obviously Mexico will pay for the Wall so it doesnt need Transparency.

(Allergy Warning: Post might contain traces of Irony and Sarcasm :D )
More evidence that "big words" tend to loose their nuance as they get used.
brucewarren wrote:@Bishop149

From what little I know about communication theory I have to disagree about the use of big words.

Lawyers use big words in documents. Said documents are completely incomprehensible except to other lawyers. I've long thought that this is by design :evil:

There may be cases where a big word is the most appropriate choice. If there's no small word that will do the job then by all means use the big word, but in general terms smaller words are better. They are more powerful and more generally understood.

If you can't avoid a big word, at least choose a word you know your audience will also know. Use of rare words that no one else knows not only looks pretentious but it suggests that the speaker is incapable of finding the better smaller word.

The character Sir Humphrey Appleby is fond of using long words. It's a running joke in the show that he does so, not because as he believes he is an educated man, but because he is incapable of using a small one.

A very powerful speech was made by a child. A famous baseball player had been accused of something or other and the child went up to him and famously said "Say it ain't so Joe." No one present failed to understand what he said.

That said I do agree that there is a difference between avoiding a big word because you know a better short one and avoiding a big word because you don't know any in the first place. :lol:
Great point! If a tool's usage requires more work to do the task than not using the tool, the tool is designed improperly. The purpose of language is communication. That said, to be fair, "transparent" is well understood by everyone Trump is addressing. I think it has more to do with the feel of his words.
Grim Lock wrote:What lawyers do i wouldn't describe as using "big words" (ugh using the term in itself makes me feel dumb) but more that they use legal terminology and that is indeed by design and anoying to the layman, but if they use simple words they generally open themselves up to all sorts of legal trouble (hence the by design)
I guess i started the cringe factor a little too hard with "big words." Point taken.

But, to clarify this point, lawyers need to avoid words and expressions with multiple meanings. Where multiple meanings are present, interpretation can reverse the intended meaning. This is why we have arguments about the US constitution all the time, especially regarding the second amendment. What is an organized militia? Is it a group of citizens banding together separate of anything short of their internal (as in, within the militia itself) government? Is it a police force? Is it a "backup army" known as the coast guard? Back then, there was only one meaning. Now everyone has their own stance. This is also the danger that legal documents present: despite all attempts to keep them from changing, they will. Nothing you can really do to change that.
I've rarely heard any president use terms of their caliber when adressing their population, and i agree it's wise to shy away from rarely used complex words. but if "transparent" is what we nowadays already consider a "big word" (ugh) i understand that pretty much anything any politcian says sounds like eletist nerd-speak that doesn't resonate with the people. The lesson i would take away from that is that good accesible education is more important than ever. Something that's definitly not a focus of the current administration. To quote Trump "I love the uneducated" (one can only guess the reason :P )
Honestly, I don't think there ever has been an administration that has had a focus on education. Educators, in an attempt to make their message "more accessible," often "dumb down" the material. This is largely why Christianity has been so violent in the past. It's also why Islam is largely violent. And, it is largely why antifa and certain leftist organisations are violent.
UniTrader wrote:
Grim Lock wrote:The lesson i would take away from that is that good accesible education is more important than ever.
Yep. More Funding should be allocated to proper Teaching of Newspeak...
This is so accurate, i'm not even sure you get the full potential nuance of this. There's alot to be said about education being defined by the educators, and that alot of that is left to personal opinions.
Grim Lock wrote:
UniTrader wrote:
Grim Lock wrote:The lesson i would take away from that is that good accesible education is more important than ever.
Yep. More Funding should be allocated to proper Teaching of Newspeak...
No more funding should be allocated to education in general, comprehending "newspeak" will come naturally :P
Has the topic of post-secondary education funding and spending been discussed here, yet? It's quite an interesting topic, and it certainly explains a good portion of what's wrong with the economy today.
Golden_Gonads wrote:
mrbadger wrote:But really, so what? The US has an unbelievable level of obesity. What does it matter if your president is fat anyway?
I think it's more that Trump and his Doctor are claiming he's absolutely 110% fit, not fat, despite the fact you can see his pudgy belly. Those pictures, those videos, those real life visuals are fake news. They didn't happen, la-la-la-la-la....
To be fair, I have yet to see a 40 year old man without a belly, even if he's fit. Some things just don't work anymore.
Morkonan wrote:
brucewarren wrote:...There may be cases where a big word is the most appropriate choice. If there's no small word that will do the job then by all means use the big word, but in general terms smaller words are better. They are more powerful and more generally understood...
^--- ++ :)

What's important is using the right word, not the word that's being used.

Some people think that a thesaurus is a handy thing to have, which would be true if not for the fact that they may also think they must use it. The whole point of such a tool is to find the "right word." Even so, if one can't express something without that one particular word, something is wrong somewhere.

I'm reminded of a famous writer, forget the name, who's housekeeper found him naked on the floor of his study, surrounded by crumpled pieces of paper, muttering "I can't find the right word." Hey, he was a great writer, so what do I know? But, it may just be possible he was a bit too worried about it...

"Parallel" isn't really a big word, but it's a good example of a right word that has very specific connotations. It implies relative direction in a more precise way than "side by side" or "together." It's appropriate across many different types of subjects, from mathematics and geometry to more loosely defined concepts like "ideas" or even emotions. But, outside of its primary use relative to geometry, there are probably better words to use.

"Their hearts beat in parallel" vs "their hearts were intertwined" - Both are sentences attempting to express the same meaning, but both are also obviously and entirely constructed for the purposes of using specific words to communicate that meaning. The meaning is clear, regardless, but which is "right?" That's going to rely on... the rest of the words.

People here have read a lot of the words used by others on the forum. If you're sharp, if you're observant, you know the styles used by other posters and can point out when that person has constructed something around a particular word. When that happens, and if it's true, then that was probably the wrong word for that person to use. One word shouldn't distract a reader - It's not that important.
But, some people are despirate to find something to hate about someone that they don't agree with. If they can't address the argument directly, they have to try to discredit the source of the argument, as if a 5-year-oldd, mentally-challenged child suggesting that the world is round is somehow wrong in the face of a 30-year-old physics-doctorate-holder with a thing for flat earth theory.

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 07:01

@Kohlrak

It's 7 in the morning here, and im almost of to work, and i think you've written a great response, won't be going into it sadly, just one thing
I am almost (39) 40 and i don't have a belly, heck you should come to the netherlands, plenty of forty-somethings don't have bellies over here. I am 1m90cm and weigh between 78kg on my lighter days and 84kg on my heavier days. I don't stand out over here.

oy out of time, google our coalition for second if youve got the time, plenty of forty somethings there without bellies :P
Megatron: "You don't scare me, you mechanical throwbacks!"
GrimLock: "Good Megatron, we love stupid enemies"

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 08:43

To be fair, I have yet to see a 40 year old man without a belly, even if he's fit. Some things just don't work anymore.
Really hope that was a hyperbole ... if not I have to ask ... how many 40+ men you have seen in your life? :o

Grim Lock wrote: oy out of time, google our coalition for second if youve got the time, plenty of forty somethings there without bellies :P
Most people over 40 I know "do not" have a belly, so that comment also strikes me as really odd. And I'm living in the US.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 09:07

Kohlrak wrote: To be fair, I have yet to see a 40 year old man without a belly, even if he's fit. Some things just don't work anymore.
I'm fifty something and I don't have one, and I'm disabled. All it takes is moderate exercise and to not over eat.

I used to I will admit, gained in the aftermath of disability because I failed to adjust to my new circumstances. But my doctor said being that weight was interfering with my health (specifically with my epilepsy medication), so I got rid of it pronto. Besides, I didn't like having it.

So to say being over a certain age means having a belly is silly. It means it's easier to get one, this is certainly true, but it's not hard to get rid of one either.

At least not if you try, and you don't even need to try that hard.

This thing of saying, or beleiving it's inevitable is just an excuse to not bother trying to get rid of it once you get one.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

kohlrak

Post by kohlrak » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 12:09

mrbadger wrote:
Kohlrak wrote: To be fair, I have yet to see a 40 year old man without a belly, even if he's fit. Some things just don't work anymore.
I'm fifty something and I don't have one, and I'm disabled. All it takes is moderate exercise and to not over eat.

I used to I will admit, gained in the aftermath of disability because I failed to adjust to my new circumstances. But my doctor said being that weight was interfering with my health (specifically with my epilepsy medication), so I got rid of it pronto. Besides, I didn't like having it.

So to say being over a certain age means having a belly is silly. It means it's easier to get one, this is certainly true, but it's not hard to get rid of one either.

At least not if you try, and you don't even need to try that hard.

This thing of saying, or beleiving it's inevitable is just an excuse to not bother trying to get rid of it once you get one.
I hate to be this way, but pics or it didn't happen. My boxing instructor has a small belly to him, and he works out like crazy. His wife is a nutritionist and giving people instruction on how to loose weight and it's working. His doc didn't like his weight, so he set him to a cardiologist and the cardiologist told him his doctor was full of it. When i look at that man and see what he's doing with what weight he's using, I'm not buyin' that age has no effect on things. I believe he's in his 30s, maybe early 40s.

And evn then, all the pics would show is that there's more factors than what you say. But, frankly, i believe you have a bit of belly to you, regardless.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 12:29

kohlrak wrote: I hate to be this way, but pics or it didn't happen. My boxing instructor has a small belly to him, and he works out like crazy.
Define what you mean by a "belly" in this case, then. I suspect most other people are interpreting that to mean someone who looks actively fat, whereas you seem to be interpreting it to mean anyone who doesn't have a six-pack. Fact is, though, even people who work out a lot probably don't have a six-pack, because you only get that by exercising a very specific set of muscles that most people don't bother with.

To give an example, do an image search for Eddie Hall--the current World's Strongest Man champion. This is a man who can deadlift *half a ton*. Yet he doesn't look like Mr. Universe, because getting definition in those belly muscles is entirely irrelevant to the business of being strong.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 14:02

kohlrak wrote: I hate to be this way, but pics or it didn't happen. My boxing instructor has a small belly to him, and he works out like crazy. His wife is a nutritionist and giving people instruction on how to loose weight and it's working. His doc didn't like his weight, so he set him to a cardiologist and the cardiologist told him his doctor was full of it. When i look at that man and see what he's doing with what weight he's using, I'm not buyin' that age has no effect on things. I believe he's in his 30s, maybe early 40s.

And evn then, all the pics would show is that there's more factors than what you say. But, frankly, i believe you have a bit of belly to you, regardless.
Unfortunately for you I'm not a teenager looking for personal verification on the internet, so you'll just have to accept that I don't have a fat belly.

I suggest you revise you idea of what it means to be fit, since I suspect you have very little idea.

Also, most 'nutritionists' I've seen are self taught and don't really know anything other than to spout whatever the latest fad diet advice is.
So merely being described as a nutritionist is not very impressive I'm afraid, it's right up there with 'homeopathic practitioner'.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 14:17

mrbadger wrote: Also, most 'nutritionists' I've seen are self taught and don't really know anything other than to spout whatever the latest fad diet advice is.
So merely being described as a nutritionist is not very impressive I'm afraid, it's right up there with 'homeopathic practitioner'.
Fun fact: the term "nutritionist" is not protected, at least in the UK, so anyone can call themselves one. If you want someone to advise on nutrition who has actual medical qualifications to do so, you need to find a dietician.

kohlrak

Post by kohlrak » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 14:31

pjknibbs wrote:
kohlrak wrote: I hate to be this way, but pics or it didn't happen. My boxing instructor has a small belly to him, and he works out like crazy.
Define what you mean by a "belly" in this case, then. I suspect most other people are interpreting that to mean someone who looks actively fat, whereas you seem to be interpreting it to mean anyone who doesn't have a six-pack. Fact is, though, even people who work out a lot probably don't have a six-pack, because you only get that by exercising a very specific set of muscles that most people don't bother with.
This is the important question, where there seems to be nuance, there is little to none. "Having a belly" is different from "being fat." But the question is, why does an older person "have a belly" to begin with? It's fat accumulation. You pinch it, it's not loose skin. This means that this is a natural sign of aging. Just like asians age differently from white people, some white people age differently from each other.
To give an example, do an image search for Eddie Hall--the current World's Strongest Man champion. This is a man who can deadlift *half a ton*. Yet he doesn't look like Mr. Universe, because getting definition in those belly muscles is entirely irrelevant to the business of being strong.
And, congratulations, you found the end all point. The question of weight to health correlates. It need not necessitate the cause, either. Being sedentary is more dangerous to your health than being overweight, but being overweight can add to the strain you put on your bones and ligaments. With that strain, comes sedentary life. This affects weight lifters, as well, but to a much lesser degree beacause they don't turn sedentary simply because it hurts.

Now, the correlation between sedentary and bad health, which is much higher than weight and bad health, is anyone's guess. We have this incorrect assumption that someone doesn't gain weight while exercising. Given that the body does this naturally to help itself survive, i'm willing to bet that bodyfat accumulation is anything other than a sign of aging that can happen when you're not aging, hence we view it in a negative light, because age influences your reproductive ability.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, but i've also heard doctors suggest that thyroid issues don't affect menstural cycle, despite the obvious system connection. And, there's an obvious correlation there, as well. Maybe they don't cause one another, but that doesn't mean that they neither can't nor that there isn't an underlying common cause.
mrbadger wrote:
kohlrak wrote: I hate to be this way, but pics or it didn't happen. My boxing instructor has a small belly to him, and he works out like crazy. His wife is a nutritionist and giving people instruction on how to loose weight and it's working. His doc didn't like his weight, so he set him to a cardiologist and the cardiologist told him his doctor was full of it. When i look at that man and see what he's doing with what weight he's using, I'm not buyin' that age has no effect on things. I believe he's in his 30s, maybe early 40s.

Unfortunately for you I'm not a teenager looking for personal verification on the internet, so you'll just have to accept that I don't have a fat belly.
We don't actually know either of those, either. Even pics can be faked, but those are considered "reasonable evidence." I don't actually care for evidence, i'm just calling you out, since you're making a pretty bold implication.
I suggest you revise you idea of what it means to be fit, since I suspect you have very little idea.
I suspect you underestimate me.
Also, most 'nutritionists' I've seen are self taught and don't really know anything other than to spout whatever the latest fad diet advice is.
It's a good thing she doesn't do that. I don't agree with all her decisions, but she has some sort of certificatiion (which means more to others than it does me) and she has a few choice words for the fad diets. I recommend her to people mostly to get a "rounder diet," since most people have issues. My girlfriend in particular has celiac's disease, which complicates matters. She won't take my advice, and since I already knew the nutritionist, i figured it would help her solve some of her nutritionally related health issues. It seems to have gotten alot better, and by coincidence she's been loosing alot of weight as well. Aside from a kidney stone that came out when she started drinking nothing but water and a hormone issue that i'm having trouble tracking down, her overall health has been improving dramatically, despite still having the "morbidly obese" diagnosis. Seems to me to be another case for "correlation does not imply causation." When Donald Trump starts appearing sick and unhealthy like hillary clinton, then i'll concern myself with his health. Until then, i'm more worried about him doing what I want him to do.

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 15:42

Grim Lock wrote:@Kohlrak

It's 7 in the morning here, and im almost of to work, and i think you've written a great response, won't be going into it sadly, just one thing
I am almost (39) 40 and i don't have a belly, heck you should come to the netherlands, plenty of forty-somethings don't have bellies over here. I am 1m90cm and weigh between 78kg on my lighter days and 84kg on my heavier days. I don't stand out over here.

oy out of time, google our coalition for second if youve got the time, plenty of forty somethings there without bellies :P
I doubt any other nation has access to junk food like we do. It takes effort to shop for healthy food here. Even a carnivore like me has to check the labels for sugar and carbs hidden in that delicious jimmy dean sausage.
Who made that man a gunner?

kohlrak

Post by kohlrak » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 15:46

pjknibbs wrote:
mrbadger wrote: Also, most 'nutritionists' I've seen are self taught and don't really know anything other than to spout whatever the latest fad diet advice is.
Fun fact: the term "nutritionist" is not protected, at least in the UK, so anyone can call themselves one. If you want someone to advise on nutrition who has actual medical qualifications to do so, you need to find a dietician.
That might actually be what she's called, tbh. Given my lack of concern, it's understandable that i don't bother remembering which term. Lemme see if i can find something that will tell me within 8 hours when i can ask her myself.

EDIT: "Nutritional services" are provided by this woman who "is a Registered Dietitian." It goes further, "She has a Bachelor degree in Nutritioinal Science from Penn State University and an Associate degree in Business Studies from Harrisburg Area Community College." It's kinda funny reading this pamphlet, since it mentions the husband's qualifications to teach martial arts, but not the fact that he's an RN.

EDIT2: So, for clarity, so we're all on the same page. A nutritionalist then must be one who studies nutrition. A dietician is someone with a fancy piece of paper that says as much.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 17:16

kohlrak wrote:More nuanced, yes. More efficient, no. Not by any stretch of imagination (for example, "eat out" is 2 syllables, with 2 meanings, which are "eat somewhere other than home" [7 syllables, though i'm sure you could think of a 5 syllable expression] and a 6 syllable expression, which i'm relatively sure is used almost exclusively by people over the age of 10). There's a reason why children prefer "simple words" (Phrasal verbs). Honestly, I think the lack of education in such vocabulary and focus on "adult vocabulary" is where language learning tends to be lacking. Kids learn those constructions because it allows to stretch a limited vocabulary. Often times, second language learners neither need the nuance, or are too inexperienced to understand the nuance regardless. This is why you can see 10 year students of a given language understand all these big and complex words, but end up completely unable to communicate with anyone without a college degree. It's sad, really.
I think we have different definitions of efficiency but I think both are valid.
Yours appears to be use the lest syllables to covey a specific set of information.
What I was getting at was conveying more information with a similar number of words (which, granted, might contain more syllables but not always). In this sense nuance and efficiency are kind of the same thing.

To use your example
"Eat out" - Refers to eating somewhere other than where you live. It may also refer to, as you imply, a sex act. . . . . a distinction hopefully made apparent from the context but you might be surprised how often it isn't. :roll:
"Dine out" - Implies a reasonably refined eating experience, probably a restaurant.
"Eat Al fresco" - Specifically outdoors and usually implies a level of sophistication but can be combined with dine above for greater clarity.

There are likely many more variations, your example may well have the virtue of being the shortest and simplest but it also conveys the least information, and you really don't have to add much in terms of syllables to add substantial additional information.
To return to "try" vs "endeavour", 1 syllable vs 3 but for those extra 2 you get both a meaning of "try hard" and a more nebulous sense of adventure associated with the action. I'm sure there are better examples, probably of reams of extra info being added via just a single additional syllable.

Finally can I just say that I am happy to have initiated a nice discussion on language via a throwaway criticism of the US President.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 17:45

Masterbagger wrote:I doubt any other nation has access to junk food like we do. It takes effort to shop for healthy food here. Even a carnivore like me has to check the labels for sugar and carbs hidden in that delicious jimmy dean sausage.
Well this didn't just "accidentally happen" for us, our government (due in part to them having a heavy hand in our health-insurance :wink:) They realised years ago, that one way of keeping costs down is to make sure the people insured actually have good access to healthy food etc. So it's been a focal point for years now. (sure it also means that because we get so old in a healthy manner now, that our pension-funds didn't take into account they'd have to pay people a lot longer, so they don't have enough money to cover for that in the future had we not raised the minum age for people dependant on those pensions (it's never simple is it!) (obviously for those with real money this is not an issue, they can rely on private/comercial companies to provide them with their pension, but for joe average it kinda sucks, i might have to work till im 69!) But then again, i get what i pay for.

My point beeing, if the US citizen wants to live longer in good health, having your goverment help with good food, good education, good healthcare and a proper pension will serve you a lot better than focusing so much on foreign threats, and maybe your average lifespan would go up by two years aswell.

And this is also why i don't understand this isolationist attitude touted by many Trump supporters, there's so much you could pick and choose from other western succesfull countries to make your own better, i know we sure did look at other countries (including the US) But in the case of Trump it's pretty much "If i didn't think of it it's not great or fantastic or huge, so not for us"

And well he might have ended Obamacare, but is there better cheaper alternative now? i don't see it, has he done anything to stop the decline of of your educational system, Hell no, is healthy food ever gonna a focus under him? Ill bet a nice sum of money it never will be.
Last edited by Grim Lock on Fri, 19. Jan 18, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 17:49

kohlrak wrote:i'm just calling you out, since you're making a pretty bold implication.
oh stop being such a child. I'm done discussing this with you.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 17:56

The award for best use of grammar in a headline goes to:
http://www.smilepolitely.com/splog/this ... out_trump/
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 18:14

Let's all discuss the thread topic and not each other please.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

kohlrak

Post by kohlrak » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 18:52

Bishop149 wrote:
kohlrak wrote:More nuanced, yes. More efficient, no. Not by any stretch of imagination (for example, "eat out" is 2 syllables, with 2 meanings, which are "eat somewhere other than home" [7 syllables, though i'm sure you could think of a 5 syllable expression] and a 6 syllable expression, which i'm relatively sure is used almost exclusively by people over the age of 10). There's a reason why children prefer "simple words" (Phrasal verbs). Honestly, I think the lack of education in such vocabulary and focus on "adult vocabulary" is where language learning tends to be lacking. Kids learn those constructions because it allows to stretch a limited vocabulary. Often times, second language learners neither need the nuance, or are too inexperienced to understand the nuance regardless. This is why you can see 10 year students of a given language understand all these big and complex words, but end up completely unable to communicate with anyone without a college degree. It's sad, really.
I think we have different definitions of efficiency but I think both are valid.
Yours appears to be use the lest syllables to covey a specific set of information.
What I was getting at was conveying more information with a similar number of words (which, granted, might contain more syllables but not always). In this sense nuance and efficiency are kind of the same thing.
So, more meaning fewer words, as opposed to more meaning fewer syllables. Given how the human mind works, I can get behind that.
To use your example
"Eat out" - Refers to eating somewhere other than where you live. It may also refer to, as you imply, a sex act. . . . . a distinction hopefully made apparent from the context but you might be surprised how often it isn't. :roll:
Honestly, i think that's intentional.
"Dine out" - Implies a reasonably refined eating experience, probably a restaurant.
"Eat Al fresco" - Specifically outdoors and usually implies a level of sophistication but can be combined with dine above for greater clarity.

There are likely many more variations, your example may well have the virtue of being the shortest and simplest but it also conveys the least information, and you really don't have to add much in terms of syllables to add substantial additional information.
To return to "try" vs "endeavour", 1 syllable vs 3 but for those extra 2 you get both a meaning of "try hard" and a more nebulous sense of adventure associated with the action. I'm sure there are better examples, probably of reams of extra info being added via just a single additional syllable.
But, how often do we really need or desire that extra meaning? There inlies yet another problem with excessive use, and possibly the reason nuance gets lost: people tend to use such words where the added meaning isn't even desired, for the sole purpose of sounding more educated and winning an argument.
Finally can I just say that I am happy to have initiated a nice discussion on language via a throwaway criticism of the US President.
Frankly, the latter is most of the topic, unfortunately. I wish the topic would go into more of this, but each of us are too invested in our political stances and beliefs to really take a hard look at what's going on.
Grim Lock wrote:
Masterbagger wrote:I doubt any other nation has access to junk food like we do. It takes effort to shop for healthy food here. Even a carnivore like me has to check the labels for sugar and carbs hidden in that delicious jimmy dean sausage.
Well this didn't just "accidentally happen" for us, our government (due in part to them having a heavy hand in our health-insurance :wink:) They realised years ago, that one way of keeping costs down is to make sure the people insured actually have good access to healthy food etc. So it's been a focal point for years now. (sure it also means that because we get so old in a healthy manner now, that our pension-funds didn't take into account they'd have to pay people a lot longer, so they don't have enough money to cover for that in the future had we not raised the minum age for people dependant on those pensions (it's never simple is it!) (obviously for those with real money this is not an issue, they can rely on private/comercial companies to provide them with their pension, but for joe average it kinda sucks, i might have to work till im 69!) But then again, i get what i pay for.

My point beeing, if the US citizen wants to live longer in good health, having your goverment help with good food, good education, good healthcare and a proper pension will serve you a lot better than focusing so much on foreign threats, and maybe your average lifespan would go up by two years aswell.

And this is also why i don't understand this isolationist attitude touted by many Trump supporters, there's so much you could pick and choose from other western succesfull countries to make your own better, i know we sure did look at other countries (including the US) But in the case of Trump it's pretty much "If i didn't think of it it's not great or fantastic or huge, so not for us"

And well he might have ended Obamacare, but is there better cheaper alternative now? i don't see it, has he done anything to stop the decline of of your educational system, Hell no, is healthy food ever gonna a focus under him? Ill bet a nice sum of money it never will be.
This is all good in theory, but DHL can have a package to Lewistown, PA from 大阪, Japan in about 2 days. USPS can get a similar package from Texas to Lewistown, PA in 2 weeks, loosing the package at the capitol of Harrisburg, PA, and then taking another 2 weeks to get it back to Lewistown, PA. IIRC, DHL was also much, much cheaper. UPS and Fedex seem to be halfway between the two. Point is, churches and nonprofits have been doing welfare for years before the federal government and have been doing a much, much more competent job. Public education falls behind private education. Given the track record, it generally seems that government is too bureaucratic to even tie their shoes effectively. From what I can tell, the general population is doing much, much more to try to fix the food issue on their own, and i'm seeing less added sugar in OJ and things like that. Then again, when i worked at a certain factory, I remember us violating organic regulations and shipping something that was meant to be organic, but was in violtion, despite government officials being right there at all hours of processing.
Alan Phipps wrote:Let's all discuss the thread topic and not each other please.
You're going to be saying this for a while: politics is a thing where people get heated. Where people get heated, the arguments start falling apart. When people get despirate, because they're invested, they become lower caliber. As they become lower caliber, they tend to get more personal.

Hierarchy of Disagreement

Expanded version

The author isn't a shmuck, either.

EDIT: Attempting to fix the wikipedia link.

EDIT2: Fixed. %28 for left parenthesis, %29 for right parenthesis.

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 19:13

kohlrak wrote:This is all good in theory, but DHL can have a package to Lewistown, PA from 大阪, Japan in about 2 days. USPS can get a similar package from Texas to Lewistown, PA in 2 weeks, loosing the package at the capitol of Harrisburg, PA, and then taking another 2 weeks to get it back to Lewistown, PA. IIRC, DHL was also much, much cheaper. UPS and Fedex seem to be halfway between the two. Point is, churches and nonprofits have been doing welfare for years before the federal government and have been doing a much, much more competent job. Public education falls behind private education. Given the track record, it generally seems that government is too bureaucratic to even tie their shoes effectively. From what I can tell, the general population is doing much, much more to try to fix the food issue on their own, and i'm seeing less added sugar in OJ and things like that. Then again, when i worked at a certain factory, I remember us violating organic regulations and shipping something that was meant to be organic, but was in violtion, despite government officials being right there at all hours of processing.
Lol yeah and this is because your government is in the pocket of the big corporations and not in the pocket of the people, and so they keep sending in their puppets to do a horrible job so they can keep doing the same old bs over and over again. And since you keep falling for that trap it's a self fulfilling prophecy. And to fix this problem you've sent in the biggest corporate muppet ever.

kohlrak

Post by kohlrak » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 19:18

Grim Lock wrote:
kohlrak wrote:This is all good in theory, but DHL can have a package to Lewistown, PA from 大阪, Japan in about 2 days. USPS can get a similar package from Texas to Lewistown, PA in 2 weeks, loosing the package at the capitol of Harrisburg, PA, and then taking another 2 weeks to get it back to Lewistown, PA. IIRC, DHL was also much, much cheaper. UPS and Fedex seem to be halfway between the two. Point is, churches and nonprofits have been doing welfare for years before the federal government and have been doing a much, much more competent job. Public education falls behind private education. Given the track record, it generally seems that government is too bureaucratic to even tie their shoes effectively. From what I can tell, the general population is doing much, much more to try to fix the food issue on their own, and i'm seeing less added sugar in OJ and things like that. Then again, when i worked at a certain factory, I remember us violating organic regulations and shipping something that was meant to be organic, but was in violtion, despite government officials being right there at all hours of processing.
Lol yeah and this is because your government is in the pocket of the big corporations and not in the pocket of the people, and so they keep sending in their puppets to do a horrible job so they can keep doing the same old bs over and over again. And since you keep falling for that trap it's a self fulfilling prophecy.
That's the thing that gets to me, though, right? People say that Trump is the big business candidate when Hillary was the wallstreet candidate. From what i can tell, you have corporations on both sides of the isle. I noticed some of the most monopoly loving companies tend to be on the left: Comcast, Google, Microsoft, most of all cable news, etc. That said, the right isn't without it's backers, either. There's only 2 ways to get the two to separate: socialist route (the one we're taking it seems), which rather gets government into big business instead, or smaller government (less lucrative to try to invest in a government that won't write laws in your favor). I want to try something new: getting government out of everything.

EDIT: That said, i still don't know how that explains that every government program fails in the face of a privatized one. You do have a point that business and government are allies, but that doesn't explain what we're seeing. It does explain the housing crisis, low wages, and push towards single payer, though.

EDIT2: I've heard from construction workers that if you get government contracts, rather than private contracts, that it's standard policy to milk it.

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 19:28

kohlrak wrote:That said, i still don't know how that explains that every government program fails in the face of a privatized one. You do have a point that business and government are allies, but that doesn't explain what we're seeing. It does explain the housing crisis, low wages, and push towards single payer, though.
This is simply not true, not even your country, and definitly not in mine, there's plenty of stuff a proper government can do way better while using private companies., instead of beeing used by them.

Just FYI, cause you might be under the impression our healthcare system is a purely government run thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHeZJS4K6J0 it's an oldie i know, but our system hasn't changed much since.
Our pension system is structured pretty much allong the same principals.

Return to “Off Topic English”