Trump

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Tue, 17. Apr 18, 21:41

Cute! Needed a break from wading through Comey's Mia Culpa. :roll:
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Wed, 18. Apr 18, 20:10

- To catch a Trump, you need to increase the heat slowly..
- like the frog in the experiment - he will be boiled alive before he realizes what's going on..
- watching him stew is both fascinating and macabre..
- meanwhile, more popcorn please.. :lol:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Thu, 19. Apr 18, 01:33

After muddling through Comey's book last night I woke up this morning before the alarm! Thanks Comey! Your sophistry is a dead sure cure for insolmnia! By the way James, integrity and ethics aren't exactly the same thing. :P
MIND THE GAP

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Thu, 19. Apr 18, 01:35

Hank001 wrote:After muddling through Comey's book last night I woke up this morning before the alarm! Thanks Comey! Your sophistry is a dead sure cure for insolmnia! By the way James, integrity and ethics aren't exactly the same thing. :P
Interesting. I'm not going to read it, but what did you make of it all?
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 19. Apr 18, 01:40

Must have been good if you have finished it already, or had nothing else better to do.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Thu, 19. Apr 18, 02:58

I'm currently completing an assignment for Christian Ethics in which one of the questions is to explain how a person like DT with his lack of personal virtue and his loathesome persona can become the darling of [notoriously conservative and judgemental] American evangelicals. . . .
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Thu, 19. Apr 18, 03:35

Okay, First I'm not even close to finishing Comey's magnum opus. I zonked half way through Chapter Two and a good snooze book you just DO NOT waste reading in daylight.

What I make of it is a "Mia Culpa" for botching the election. This I figured ahead of time, but a dump on Trump a bit too.

As for Chistian Ethics I'd ask, "What Flavor".

Most of REALLY conservative types around here are saying, "Trump's the antichrist and we were all dupped" and just as happy as clams that Trump being said Antichrist spells the coming of the end of days... and so on. Basically the Christian Right was willing to vote for a shaved goat if it meant Hillary wasn't elected. So now they are stringing barbed wire around their enclaves and stocking up on canned goods and such. Think I'm kidding? Too much hyperbole there? Get a Short Wave receiver. They are practically cooking the airwaves saying as much. TV too since we have no loss than three christian TV stations broadcasting around here. Summed up they saw if you're not X religion like us then you're going to hell.
(Fundimenalists are like that no matter what religion). :wink:
MIND THE GAP

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Thu, 19. Apr 18, 04:57

Hank001 wrote: As for Chistian Ethics I'd ask, "What Flavor".
In our case, the "flavour" (heh!) is Christian Brethren - a fairly small, highly conservative evangelical denomination. The fact that WE are saying that the American Evangelicals have drunk the Kool-Aid should be deeply concerning - we're about as conservative as Christians in Australia get.
Most of REALLY conservative types around here are saying, "Trump's the antichrist and we were all dupped" and just as happy as clams that Trump being said Antichrist spells the coming of the end of days... and so on. Basically the Christian Right was willing to vote for a shaved goat if it meant Hillary wasn't elected. So now they are stringing barbed wire around their enclaves and stocking up on canned goods and such. Think I'm kidding? Too much hyperbole there? Get a Short Wave receiver. They are practically cooking the airwaves saying as much. TV too since we have no loss than three christian TV stations broadcasting around here. Summed up they saw if you're not X religion like us then you're going to hell.
(Fundimenalists are like that no matter what religion). :wink:
Well, the reality is that about 60-something percent of American white Evangelicals still support Trump. Though it makes sense to me that there would be a significant amount of "What have we done?!" when evangelicals look at the creature they have elected in their name . . . .
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Thu, 19. Apr 18, 12:46

Usenko wrote:I'm currently completing an assignment for Christian Ethics in which one of the questions is to explain how a person like DT with his lack of personal virtue and his loathesome persona can become the darling of [notoriously conservative and judgemental] American evangelicals. . . .
- it's high time these charlatans were exposed for their bad teaching
- well done, Christian Brethren..!!

- thank you Mr U.. :)
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 19. Apr 18, 13:03

BugMeister wrote:
Usenko wrote:I'm currently completing an assignment for Christian Ethics in which one of the questions is to explain how a person like DT with his lack of personal virtue and his loathesome persona can become the darling of [notoriously conservative and judgemental] American evangelicals. . . .
- it's high time these charlatans were exposed for their bad teaching
- well done, Christian Brethren..!!

- thank you Mr U.. :)
The answers fairly simpe, they have created their own version of christianity which is entirely willing to tolerate such behaviour, so long as the person doing it matches certain social criteria.

In his case?

He's the President.

Once he isn't, things may well change, but until then he can do no wrong.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Thu, 19. Apr 18, 14:03

David Packman mentioned Hannity last January..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JbFtsC9XD0

:lol:

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Thu, 19. Apr 18, 16:19

Perhaps I should have noted that calling some of the sects around here "Evangelical" would be like calling Nitroglycerine "slightly volitile". For the more established branches of "evangelicals" sure, they'd probably back Trump until he sprouts horns, hooves and a pointy tail. Summed up there its NOT what Trump stands for. They define themselves by what they stand AGAINST. If Trump said, "I want o scrap the entire constitution and elect myself POPE they'd probably cheer him on. They don't come right out and say it, but they want a theocracy with their particular branch calling the shots.
MIND THE GAP

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 19. Apr 18, 17:28

Hank001 wrote:They don't come right out and say it, but they want a theocracy with their particular branch calling the shots.
That line could be used to describe the more extreme branches of any religious group.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Thu, 19. Apr 18, 17:39

mrbadger wrote:
Hank001 wrote:They don't come right out and say it, but they want a theocracy with their particular branch calling the shots.
That line could be used to describe the more extreme branches of any religious group.
Interesting that you state this.

My conclusion for the question on why Evangelicals support Trump in the USA (and not elsewhere) is that American Evangelicals have a strong "Christian Nationalist" stream that isn't present in those elsewhere. Oh, in Australia you get the occasional whackjob who wants a theocracy, but most of us argue for strict separation of church and state (for the benefit of the Church - we're still trying to undo the damage that becoming Constantine's lap dog did thousands of years ago!).

By contrast, the USA was founded specifically by people who wanted to found a theocracy, and whilst that's not currently true of all Americans, there are enough for that to constitute a major demographic within the Evangelical churches. It is those people who have a strong tendency to vote Trump (And practically no other religious people).

PS - if they're proper Evangelicals, pretty much the ONLY thing Trump could say that would stop them in their tracks would be "I'm electing myself Pope." Not because they'd be worried about him electing himself, but because "Pope" implies Catholicism . . . ;)

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 19. Apr 18, 18:47

I always thought Pope implied Emporor, since he is the Holy Roman Emporor, and the first popes took over the original Roman Empire, which never actually collapsed, it just ended in it's old form and morphed into the Catholic one, after some minor issues obviously....

I think they stopped importing Lions too.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 19. Apr 18, 19:53

Seemingly on Friday Trump phoned one of his old divorce lawyers called Jay Goldberg, he was the lawyer who handled Trumps first divorce where the wife claimed Trump had raped her (had to throw that in). Anyway he phoned to ask for his advice, a phone call that Jay Goldberg has made public, even Trumps old lawyers leak info on him. One of the main parts was Goldberg told Trump that Cohen would flip on him. Now here's the thing, you can only flip on someone if you have something to flip on them about. So even his old divorce lawyer thinks Trump is royally screwed. It also turns out Goldberg told Trump all those years ago to stay well clear of Cohen, once again advice Trump should have taken from his lawyer.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Thu, 19. Apr 18, 19:56

mrbadger wrote:

Sshhhh... You might give DJT ideas. (Hhhmmm.. lions...arenas... I like it! Sort of like Pro wresting!) :o
MIND THE GAP

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Thu, 19. Apr 18, 20:10

Hank001 wrote:mrbadger wrote:

Sshhhh... You might give DJT ideas. (Hhhmmm.. lions...arenas... I like it! Sort of like Pro wresting!) :o
Bread and circuses works since the antique, so its not really a new idea ^^
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Thu, 19. Apr 18, 23:04

UniTrader said:
Bread and circuses works since the antique, so its not really a new idea
Walmart and Cable TV so much for humanity being above all that.
Keep the plebs happy is still the rule of the day. When they get riled up you get things like DJT in office. :D
MIND THE GAP

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 20. Apr 18, 01:58

It turns out not all evangelicals are Trump fans after all, as an evangelical meeting turns into a Trump bashing festival.

If these guys are starting to turn on Trump, we really could be seeing the end of Trump. Another interesting point, I first picked up on this story from none other than Fox and Friends, which is just as amazing. Just to clarify I don't watch fox and friends, it was the clips title (WARNING: the following link leads to a fox news clip) Faith leaders reportedly hold anti-Trump meeting, that got my attention. I didn't manage to watch it all.

Return to “Off Topic English”