Trump

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Mon, 2. Oct 17, 18:51

- in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king..
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 2. Oct 17, 18:57

Morkonan wrote:
felter wrote:Not going to quote, but yeah I know what it is and how it works. What you said is what I'm saying, so a foreign ship that does not fly the US flag has aid that could be used, could not be delivered because of the Jones act...
That isn't true.

ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchant_ ... ct_of_1920

Consider this about the differences between "Internet" and "Intranet." What you're talking about is, in effect, "The Internet." What the above act refers to is "The Intranet."

It's about port-to-port specifics, reserving transport from US port to US port the domain of US flagged merchant ships. So, a foreign-flagged ship with any aid being sent can easily dock and offload this much-needed assistance, provided such shipment did not originate in a US port.

It's a somewhat protectionist act, to be sure. Some see it as vital because it protects national interests in maintaining a US-flagged merchant fleet in the face of stiff competition from foreign powers. So, the intent is that there will always be an exclusive domain for US commercial shipping - Intraport transport. (cabotage, as the above article states)

TLDR: It doesn't prohibit anyone from sending aid. It only restricts intranational port shipments to US-flagged vessels, not international shipments.
LOL I have a rule, drinking don't post. I did know what the meaning was and my brain was thinking it, the problem was the bottle of vodka was telling my fingers something totally different. My bad.

I was going to post about some of the other things that have been said about Puerto Rico, I am going to let them drop but they are pretty stupid. While I was making my posts, I was drunk as a skunk, that is my excuse for them, I was an idiot for breaking my own rules on posting while drunk. It's not just driving that you shouldn't do while drinking. :D

Just want to say, who the hell says you have my warmest condolences when talking about someone being murdered, what do some think it is some kind of birthday celebration. What a F****** retard.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 2. Oct 17, 21:41

felter wrote:LOL I have a rule, drinking don't post. I did know what the meaning was and my brain was thinking it, the problem was the bottle of vodka was telling my fingers something totally different. My bad.
No worries.

But, stop drinking. It's bad for you. :)

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 2. Oct 17, 22:02

Santi wrote:You are misreading me, the muppet is the Mayor of San Juan, making a speech that they are dying while in a warehouse with supplies for those in need....
I think you're totally missing the point of her statement. Yes, indeed, she's in a warehouse full of aid. The problem is getting it out to all the towns and villages on the island. The transportation infrastructure has essentially been wiped out. What she needs is more planes and helicopters and emergency personnel to move those supplies out of the warehouses and to where they're needed.

For comparison, Houston received over 31,000 relief workers from the federal govt. Florida received more than 40,000. Yet Puerto Rico at the time had only around 10,000 come in to help. And they hed a much greater need for air support since Houston and South Florida were both connected directly to the highway system. So try to understand the whole story before passing judgement on her.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 3. Oct 17, 01:15

Just watch the first 34 seconds of this video. I honestly don't know what to say about it, he has said some really stupid things, but this is just, I don't know it is just.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 3. Oct 17, 02:16

Trump is profoundly stupid..
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 3. Oct 17, 02:21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qba3McotSkE

- who or what the f*** is Sebastian Gorka..??
- and why should we give a monkey's for anything he says..??

- the man's a loony.. :evil:

PS. ..and wtf has Nigel Farage got to do with anything in Alabama??

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 3. Oct 17, 03:32

felter wrote:Just watch the first 34 seconds of this video. I honestly don't know what to say about it, he has said some really stupid things, but this is just, I don't know it is just.
I don't even need to watch pass the first 1 second to know it gonna be stupid just by the natural of what that channel is. Making everything stupid is kinda the whole point of that show. Aren't we here before ... like how people think Comedian and satire can deliver good/honest news? Pretty easy to see why Trump won IMO :D
Nanook wrote: I think you're totally missing the point of her statement. Yes, indeed, she's in a warehouse full of aid. The problem is getting it out to all the towns and villages on the island. The transportation infrastructure has essentially been wiped out. What she needs is more planes and helicopters and emergency personnel to move those supplies out of the warehouses and to where they're needed.

For comparison, Houston received over 31,000 relief workers from the federal govt. Florida received more than 40,000. Yet Puerto Rico at the time had only around 10,000 come in to help. And they hed a much greater need for air support since Houston and South Florida were both connected directly to the highway system.
Number without context is often misleading:
- The majority of those numbers come from the National Guard, and I bet a good chunk of that coming from local garrisons. I'm pretty sure the reason they counted as "Federal" because when a local unit is deployed under the authorization of the Fed, they're be footing the bill for those deployment. Isn't Texas has one of the largest contingent of guard or something?
- I think Puerto only has minimum military present, and they were evacuated. On the mainland personnel are often deployed ahead nearby on area that were less severely so they can response right away, while you can't do that on Puerto because it was blanked. The fact that they manage to have hundred of people there the next morning and 10k after a week is actually rather impressive.
- You said it yourself, the infrastructure and logistic is a big part of the reason. You have to ship or fly there, not just driving down the highway.
- The mainland always gonna have plenty more of staging ground for operation, you don't have that on an island. It's pointless if you bring in too much personal without a proper support itself that the people who help become a burden themselves. Helicopters don't fly by themselves, they need proper supply and staging, they need place to refuel, they need space to land for aid to be loaded up, they need to be maintained after operation. You can't drive additional Trucks down the highway. Even if you have more Truck, you can't drive if the road is destroyed. The working port had to be prioritized for aid delivery, and the airport can only work in limited capacity.
- On the mainland, a power lost is usually due to failing powerline or transformer or substation. And even if the powerplant is lost, it's only a matter of getting the electricity from somewhere else once you restore the Grid, you can't do that on an island.

I read most of these news, I'm aware of where most of the numbers come from, and I'm aware of how the media is delivering these numbers. They do straight up side by side comparison while accounting little to no context at all. :roll:
So try to understand the whole story before passing judgement on her.
I understand that in moments like this people are like her to offer comfort, unity, encouragement and hope. Not making a play for politic. :)

So these # coming from the Governor Office today:

- 1/4 of the island will have electricity next month.
- About half of the residents had running water restored, and 60% expected by the end of this week.
- Mobile service has been restored to 40% of the population.
- 1.5mil barrels of fuel is about to arrive.
- The USS Comfort will be on station by tomorrow.
- 10,000+ of containers for aid had arrived.

Those are just fact and number, no sensationalize, no political crap. Not bad for two weeks of work I say, given the Total Destruction of the Island. In another news:

- Some idiots start to criticizing Trump about his coming visit, saying it's too late. Pretty sure they're the same idiots who was just criticizing him a few weeks ago about visiting Florida "too soon".
- Some circle of news are trying to sell the narrative that the afford is "rammed up" due to Trump's coming visit ... yeah right, as if these things can be made happens overnight. I think they forget that Trump is not a king, and he's not the only one who can order something to be done. There are the military, DOD, FERMA who have been working since day one. Yeah right, just imagine, Trump walked into the Pentagon and tell the Chief of Staff something like "hey I gonna be there tomorrow can you do something to make me look good?" :roll:

Since there are already plenty of people around here digging up on the more controversy yet irrelvant quotes, let me give you some of the more relevant one:

"We have done a great job with the almost impossible situation in Puerto Rico."

"It's very tough because it's an island," Trump said. "In Texas, we can ship the trucks right out there, you know, we've got A-pluses on Texas and Florida and we will also on Puerto Rico, but the difference is this is an island sitting in the middle of an ocean, and it's a big ocean."

"Some people say, I read it this morning, it's literally destroyed," Trump said, adding, "The infrastructure was in bad shape as you know in Puerto Rico before the storm, and now in many cases, it has no infrastructure, so it's -- you're really starting from almost scratch."
I don't see them excuse, I see them simply as fact, because they are what they are. So I bet Trump, and probably not only him but many among people who are working to get things done, are justifily pissed off when political motivated critism are thrown around. So when Trump say this:

"Outside of the Fake news or politically motivated ingrates people are now starting to recognize the amazing work that has been done by FEMA and our great Military."
He - is - absolutely - right. :wink:

I admit, Trump isn't really a decent guy in the PR department, and I think it's really easy to provoke and get a reaction out of him, rather unbecoming of a President. But as much as I hate that in a President, it's the people who try to use that to bait things from him to craft their political narrative in this kind of situation are far more disgusting human being. If there is a day I have to choose between Trump and people like that, I wouldn't even have to think twice about my choice. :x

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 3. Oct 17, 03:54

Mightysword wrote:
felter wrote:Just watch the first 34 seconds of this video. I honestly don't know what to say about it, he has said some really stupid things, but this is just, I don't know it is just.
No watch it, it is Trump talking to the press, it is not the show I want you to watch, just watch the first 34 seconds that it is. If you want you could start watching it from here. It's what Trump says, it is totally unbelievable, some things he says is maybe defend-able this is not, it shows totally that the man has no idea what he should say or how he should say it and that his brain is totally malfunctioning.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 3. Oct 17, 04:32

felter wrote:
Mightysword wrote:
No watch it, it is Trump talking to the press, it is not the show I want you to watch, just watch the first 34 seconds that it is. If you want you could start watching it from here. It's what Trump says, it is totally unbelievable, some things he says is maybe defend-able this is not, it shows totally that the man has no idea what he should say or how he should say it and that his brain is totally malfunctioning.
The only tragic thing here is Oliver's ramble. It's fairly obvious to me what Trump is trying to say, granted not the most eloquent thing. But if someone like Oliver want to make a meal out it, that's up to him ... kinda his job too. I had said this many time, the only people who can agree with this kind of crap are people who don't really need any convincing, it does absolutely nothing for people in the middle, and would only further empower the people who already supporting him. And you want to believe that, it's also your choice.

I know it would never be my choice. The former is at worst - a lack of tact, the latter is a disgusting behavior at best. Thanks though, as much as I don't like Trump Presidency, people are giving me reason everyday to believe there are far worse than him out there. :wink:

Trump had said plenty of "indefensible" things in the past, this came nowhere near, any attempt to frame it as such you show how desperately people are about twisting it for political reason. And in case you haven't got the message yet, given the context of the situation, that's what I find absolutely disgusting. :roll:

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 3. Oct 17, 05:10

Mightysword wrote:
felter wrote:
Mightysword wrote:
The only tragic thing here is Oliver's ramble. It's fairly obvious to me what Trump is trying to say, granted not the most eloquent thing. But if someone like Oliver want to make a meal out it, that's up to him ... kinda his job too. I had said this many time, the only people who can agree with this kind of crap are people who don't really need any convincing, it does absolutely nothing for people in the middle, and would only further empower the people who already supporting him. And you want to believe that, it's also your choice.

I know it would never be my choice. The former is at worst - a lack of tact, the latter is a disgusting behavior at best. Thanks though, as much as I don't like Trump Presidency, people are giving me reason everyday to believe there are far worse than him out there. :wink:

Trump had said plenty of "indefensible" things in the past, this came nowhere near, any attempt to frame it as such you show how desperately people are about twisting it for political reason. And in case you haven't got the message yet, given the context of the situation, that's what I find absolutely disgusting. :roll:
You have to be f****g nuts my friend, that is not defensible and you just tried it. For someone, anyone to even think what Trump is saying there is okay, they must have something seriously wrong with them. I cannot even imagine what he was trying to say or what he is meaning.

He is supposed to be the President of the United States of America, not some kind of street corner drug dealing low down scum of the earth delinquent. There is no he was meaning this, or meaning that, if that was what he was meaning then he should have said that. If he doesn't know what he was meaning he should not be saying it, as what he said is just pure evil and disgusting. Maybe if he can't do the job which we know he can't then he shouldn't be doing it.

As I said don't watch the show, listen to what Trump says, that is it 18 to 34 seconds nothing else, and what he says is just sickening there is no defence, trying to blame what he says on a television show is wrong as they did not make him say what he said. They had nothing to do with what he said, the only person responsible for what he said is Trump, and to say that the deaths from a hurricane is great and amazing is just so bad. No sane person would say those sort of things, let alone a president of any country, even North Korea's, lunatic doesn't say those sort of things. And you are defending it saying it is okay because it is on a television show that you don't like, are you sane.

What does that say about you, as no one takes your president serious, because he says these vile things, how can anyone take you serious when you defend them.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 3. Oct 17, 05:42

Well, just in case you're quoting the right part, and maybe it's some other part ... Trump basically said:

- The loss of Life is always a tragic thing.
- But it has been an incredible in term of result for the loss of life.

My interpretation of this is simply he touting the response to the event, that without it or if it was being less, the loss of life would have been far greater. And he's right. FYI for the last 2 major hurricane seasons:

- One pretty much sunk the Bush Presidency and saw the FERMA chef lost his job.
- The next one was credit for decisively swing the election toward Obama and doom Mitt Romney.

At least everyone by now had seen the kind of effect a "bad" response and a "good" response would have and took proper notes. I would say it's not even the Fed, but also local municipal, the military had learnt a things or two after facing major after major hurricane after Katrina, which was a major mess up at all level and saw wipe spread condemnation across all spectrum. The response so far for this season has been great, the only people have been complaining are the one who try to make political statement. Like I said, at worst it's a lack of tact, but if you want indefensible statements ... I can find you some.

As for the rest of your post, if I gonna put it eloquently the feeling is mutual. I bet you wonder why I think the way I do as much as I wonder the same about you. I wonder what does it take to take someone to twist that part of the video into "Trump is celebrating the loss of life". Even as rambling as Oliver was doing, he only took offense at the "victory lap" is a lack of tact, and if you watch for a few more seconds, you'll see that exactly the point he is countering by saying the repose is not as great and success as Trump is claiming to be. I wouldn't try to "pretend" to be surprise though, I have seen worse in my life (about how hate can twist people vision and rational) ... but I do kinda feel dump now to even try to argue about it ... but I guess it was ... half entertaining? :wink:

And I'm sure you would say most of the samething you just said in your post anyway regardless of what happen or happened, you were simply try to find an excuse to vent it out ... like you have done plenty times in the past. I'm sure this won't be the last either. Have you count how many times you and some other have been repeating the same or similar things in the pasts months? We're getting close to the one year anniversary now. :D

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 3. Oct 17, 06:39

I thought these graphics on Puerto Rico were interesting and well done.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Tue, 3. Oct 17, 13:40

No need to worry, now Trump has dedicated a golf trophy to the victims of the weather in Puerto Rico everything will be ok!

Got a cake on order and balloons ready for the news he has had a cardio, he is in my prayers, right now!
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Tue, 3. Oct 17, 14:34

While the 30k/40k of Houston/Florida sounds great compared to the 10k of Puerto Rico. That is 30k/40k/10k people that need to sleep, eat, drink, piss and shit. So priority is to sort out logistical problems so emergency aid is delivery first. For that you need to know what the problems are and who needs that emergency aid.

For the city of San Juan, that is the job of the Mayor, I think that what really upset me, apart from the "we are dying" lie, was throwing all that paperwork on the floor, paperwork that se did not produce or wrote, and I am pretty sure she didn't pick up afterwards.

Then you have things like water, yes almost 50% have no access to drinking water, or have they? According to the Governor:

""In terms of aqueducts, we have been able to restore only 50% of water, because the majority of water in Puerto Rico also depends on electric generators," he said on Wednesday (28 Sep)."

So drinking water is being delivered by FEMA and while in short supply nobody will die of thirst, now the problem is "clean water", necessary to clean properties,furnishings and stuff that is coated in what is a mix of mud and residual/waste water and poses a sanitary risk. For that you need the infrastructure and that takes time to be rebuild.

This is a good read in terms of how disaster management works
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 3. Oct 17, 16:48

Mightysword wrote:I don't even need to watch pass the first 1 second to know it gonna be stupid just by the natural of what that channel is. Making everything stupid is kinda the whole point of that show. Aren't we here before ... like how people think Comedian and satire can deliver good/honest news? P
You are correct but by God he makes their job easy doesn't he? You don't have to put ANY effort into writing satire any more, ziltch. Simply point a camera at Trump for 30 seconds then turn to your audience shrug and say "I give you the President of the United States. . . WTF Ladies and Gents!". Job Done.

Comedians / Satirists must love and hate him in pretty much equal measure. Most of them would consider his politics to be that of Satan but by golly it's boom time for their industry.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Tue, 3. Oct 17, 17:53

Santi wrote: For the city of San Juan, that is the job of the Mayor, I think that what really upset me, apart from the "we are dying" lie, was throwing all that paperwork on the floor, paperwork that se did not produce or wrote, and I am pretty sure she didn't pick up afterwards.
Was it legitimate paperwork, or was it a bunch of random printouts mocked up for a photo opportunity?

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Thu, 12. Oct 17, 03:25

Well shucks, I just tweeted him. I've not done that before, and I hope not to do it again.

I asked "whether he condemned the alleged behaviour of Harvey Weinstein"?

I think in chess that's called a fork?

Anyway, I look forwards to the reply :).
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 13. Oct 17, 00:21

RegisterMe wrote:Well shucks, I just tweeted him. I've not done that before, and I hope not to do it again.

I asked "whether he condemned the alleged behaviour of Harvey Weinstein"?

I think in chess that's called a fork?

Anyway, I look forwards to the reply :).
He'll try to castle out of check, just you watch... :)

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 13. Oct 17, 04:54

Anyone else noticed he has not mentioned the fires in California. Also he has been tweeting that he wants the US to pull out of Puerto Rico, because they owe too much money and they are costing the US too much to sort out their current problems.

He has also just learned about amendment 25, and didn't understand it. I'm not American and I understand it pretty darn easily, and I only had to be told about it once, if the reports are true he had to have it explained to him at least twice, and I still don't think he gets it.

Return to “Off Topic English”