Trump

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sun, 25. Feb 18, 03:42

UniTrader wrote:
RegisterMe wrote:c) they grew up learning "duck and cover", or "run tell fight hide" or whatever other garbage you have to teach children in the US these days (and by the way, we don't have to teach our kids that » anywhere else in the world). «
maybe except for some Middle Eastern and African Countries (aka "Shithole Countries") where people openly carry Arms in Public..
So, umm, you're equating the US with those, umm, "shithole" countries"? ermm.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 25. Feb 18, 03:58

Well I've been to about every ....hole country there is and we're not there yet, but there seems to be concerted efforts to get us there. Where the thread derailed and went into the hot button topic of gun control was unfortunate. I'd like to back to insulting to thread topic.

His parroting Mister NRA, his utter glibness with that "ice cream" analogy... On topic he's a :rant: and if it wasn't so serious I'd :rofl: So add a thread in guns and... Well forget it, nobody in their right mind oould want to moderate it.
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Sun, 25. Feb 18, 10:43

This thread has lasted longer than thought possible.

Can it now return to the subject of the meanderings and mutterings of Donald Trump.
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Sun, 25. Feb 18, 12:12

Hank001 wrote:There's alot to be read between the lines here. Right about that. In D.C. they (They being Dept. of Justice, FBI, Sp Prosc. Office) walking on eggshells since President thinks he's still on "The Apprentice" and fires anyone that displeases him.
A good friend of mine says the joke going around "The Beltway" is that the Presidential Seal should now have the latin motto under it: "indignatio principis mors est."
(The wrath of the prince is death)

- tell that to Charles 1st, he'd laugh his head off..!! :lol:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 25. Feb 18, 23:07

Terre wrote:Can it now return to the subject of the meanderings and mutterings of Donald Trump.
Of course...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1G90PB

Donald Trump is considering raising the age of certain types of gun ownership in the US, but of course, the NRA is dead against that.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 12:47

So Trumps lawyers are still trying to work out how their client can give evidence to the Mueller enquiry in such a way that he won't either perjure himself or accidentally admit to a felony.
His own lawyers don't think that Trump is capable of either:
a) Answering questions honestly without admitting guilt
b) Evading questions without resorting to outright lies.
A pretty good indication that the man in question is likely both guilty as sin and dumb as mud.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/white-hous ... 1519560120
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 12:56

Dumb as mud? Probably not. Just a byproduct of the that executive class the truly is convinced thatthere are no rules that apply to them and that a really good law firm can get you out of any trouble. That those who do play by the rules are chumps. So keep an eye on this. I think what's coming up might prove them right as far as them walking away with slaps on the wrist.
MIND THE GAP

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 13:15

Hank001 wrote:Dumb as mud? Probably not. Just a byproduct of the that executive class the truly is convinced thatthere are no rules that apply to them and that a really good law firm can get you out of any trouble.
Trumps has spent A LOT of his life in court, so to be fair he really should know how to play this game by now, and past performance demonstrate that indeed he did.
The past tense is key here, I think that the reality here is that whilst the Trump of 20-40 years ago probably could of managed to hold his own under questioning the Trump of today is . . . . . how to put this politely. . . . . playing with less than a full deck, and his lawyers know it. :roll:
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 13:27

Really outside of the hundreds of bankruptcy court cases he's filed over the years in his "buy it as a writeoff" practices of his early career as a robber baron, he's sidestepped criminal charges. You're right, I think when dogs are at his door and thought that the presidency didn't have the world bowing at his feet is going to rattle his cage a bit too hard and his paranoia has him lashing out. It will be interesting to watch.. From a safe distance. Like the moon.
MIND THE GAP

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 13:53

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 13:56

Masterbagger wrote:
Usenko wrote:
Wait, what?

Did someone hear a weird trumpeting noise?

Is there an elephant in this room?

The fact that . . if the shooter didn't have a gun, he couldn't have done this?
What law would have stopped him? At this point the gun controllers just want to do something symbolic so they can feel better. They don't want a solution. They just want gun control.

- sounds like an "us-and-them" argument..
- shame you can't use the term "we" when talking about the country you live in..
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 14:07

The subject of America's Us vs Them culture was the prime topic on such Sunday political talk show as CBS's "Meet the Press" and CNN. The media has started to deal with it as fact. The question of how to mediate it has became, "where will it lead us now?" Questions that's been bandied around our universities some time now is finally occuring to the mainstream. As I said, it's going to be interesting to watch.
As I said from a safe distance like another planet.
MIND THE GAP

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 20:49

"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 21:07

Somehow I see The Donald facing an "active shooter" by falling to the floor and screaming like a little girl. And I have the firm opinion that his personal opinion of anyone in uniform, police or military is "disgusting", but he'd never dare voice that now. Or rather he'll tweet that opinion to the world if any in a particular uniform displeases him, have his press rep disavow it later and pretend he never did it. "He never said that" has come to mean "He tweeted it and it's my job to pretend he didn't and if we say it enough maybe his base will believe it." :roll:
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 21:11

Bbbut, I thought he had "bone spurs" on his heels? He wouldn't have been running anywhere, right?

I dunno, unless there was free ____ he could grab, because he's such a celeb and women would let him do anything, I can't picture Trump running anywhere, especially if it's "towards the sound of the guns."

He wasn't there. He shouldn't be casting aspersions on these people. Controlling a situation and understanding it is part of "responding" to it, too. I doubt anyone would recommend to any First Responders to any hazardous situation to "just run on in there."

(Have taken First-Responder and Incident Scene Commander training... Well, for hazardous chemical and/or disaster situations, that is, not for "rushing into schools with guns a blazin' "situations...)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 21:21

If he means while in his current situation rather than a hypothetical (didn't happen so can say this most sincerely about the past without risk of contradiction) situation, then isn't he effectively sentencing some of his immediate Secret Service detail to likely have to take bullets intended for him, as is part of their sworn role?

I'd bet that that 'offer of sacrifice' has raised his detail's morale a bit! They would anyway just manhandle him forcibly out of any immediate danger - as he no doubt anticipates.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 21:21

(Way to go Mork. And I was on the Disaster Respose Force as a warskill and notice I said he'd drop? Tends to happen when "fear paralysis" takes hold.)

:gruebel: Wonder if bone spurs didn't start inside his cranial cavity? That would explain much.
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 21:55

Hank001 wrote:(Way to go Mork. And I was on the Disaster Respose Force as a warskill and notice I said he'd drop? Tends to happen when "fear paralysis" takes hold.) ..
When the desire to act overrides the usefulness of rational common sense, you end up with a bunch of extra bodies.

You can't act to help if you're dead.

Running to the sound of the guns is necessary. But, for goodness sake, you don't run blindly! That's how ambushes are made. "Hey, there's something happening over there, let's go see what it is," said the fish on the way to the hook.

Yeah, methinks Trump's bone spurs started with a sizeable monetary donation somewhere and not in his feet. Don't blame him, I guess - It was a crappy "war" anyway and nobody should have attended. :)

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 22:18

Well it seems to be becoming a habit. "W" was held on the books at Dolthan AFB with no logged fight hours. At least he made a sort of attempt. "Running to the sound of the guns" is not the smartest move I agree. Though hiding outside when it's you're duty to run in that direction and should have been what to in the event is something else.
MIND THE GAP

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 23:07

Masterbagger wrote:
Observe wrote:
Masterbagger wrote:What law would have stopped him? At this point the gun controllers just want to do something symbolic so they can feel better. They don't want a solution. They just want gun control.
Because of your total inability to see past the barrel of a gun, you are a self-fulfilling prophesy. You will see more killings and even more reasons (in your mind) to aggravate the problem into an endless downward spiral of social destruction.

If you have the courage that you seem to profess having, throw away your guns and set your eyes on a future American society that has the freedom to just say no to guns.
You already have the freedom to say no to guns. This is about you attacking my freedom to say yes. Save your moralizing. You live under the protection of people with guns just like the rest of us.
Actually no. There are a number of cities in the U.S. where it is ILLEGAL to NOT own a gun.

Interestingly and in the same vein, the State of Georgia's Lieutenant Governor, has threatened to retaliate against Delta Airlines unless it reverses its decision on dropping support for the NRA. Incidentally, Georgia is one of the States where cities have passed mandatory gun ownership laws.

Return to “Off Topic English”