Trump

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 16. Aug 18, 03:53

Mightysword wrote:If I am getting this right, and I hope I'm not, it's ok for someone to say "hey I know I'm racist but so what, YOU deal with it". :roll:
Not quite, but if you know someone's bias, and here being a racist only categorizes as bias very slightly, like Observe pointed out, if the person doesn't "know", sure call it bias, but if they do I'm not sure it qualifies. Anyway, the idea is that if you know someone's bias, you can take what they say and know where they come from. For example, I know Breitbarts bias, so when they say something bad about a liberal I will go, meh its a Tuesday. But imagine if they went and gave a liberal some praise, that would make you go wtf.

Using the pizza analogy, if you know I LOOOVE pizza and some comes as said, what do think is best, this pizza or this burger and I tell you its the pizza, you wont be sure if I make the choice because its true or based on my bias, but if I tell you the burger is the better choice you can be absolutely sure it is.

Long story short, if you know people's bias you can expose yourself to different types depending of your needs. But only works if you are aware of your own.

MFG

Ketraar

PS.: alternatively watch this to get my point https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG2dXobAXLI (strong language)

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 16. Aug 18, 04:21

The thing is, it's less about us looking at the bias, but more about the individual behavior. I mean, we can see if someone have a bias or not, the question is how the individual see it themselves.

Person A: racist, but don't think he's being racist.
Person B: racist, know that he's racist, and proud of it.

Both of these are bad, but I believe B is must worse than A. In both case, an outsider can see that they're both racist, that's not the issue here.

I would assume that at least A, on a conscious or subconsciously level know racism is "bad", and thus don't want to be associated as such. This would give some "hope" that if this person realize his action is indeed racism, he can change. Person B already know exactly what it is, he simply believed it's justified which is something a lot harder to change. Framing it into the context of this discussion, I'm not saying anyone who participate in a debate must not have a bias, but have to keep it under control for the shake of a resolution. If you simply just throw your bias out there and say "what of it?", then I would argue there is nothing to argue to begin with.
Long story short, if you know people's bias you can expose yourself to different types depending of your needs. But only works if you are aware of your own.
Interesting you said that, because if you look at the original quote that started this:
Expecting everyone to be unbiased when debating a topic like this is ridiculous.
This implies that the belief here hold not only to the individual who said it, but also assumed it for other participants as well, what good does that make to the debate itself. If we take this and expand it to the context of larger problems in society, what good does it do to any dialogue in general? ;)

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Thu, 16. Aug 18, 07:25

Apparently more than 200 newspapers are going to publish editorials today criticising Trump's repeated attacks on the media.

Has anything like that ever happend before?

EDIT: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45204397
Last edited by RegisterMe on Thu, 16. Aug 18, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Thu, 16. Aug 18, 12:16

Morkonan wrote:Anyway, it's a serious question. From all the bruhaha over Pence's apparent, omewhat "Evangelical Catholic'ish," religious adherence that gets splattered across a lot of different sorts of news outlets, almost entirely liberal, Democrat, or vocally supportive of certain lifestyle choices, I'm finding it difficult to find one good reference to discuss where Pence has used his religious beliefs, or those of others, to justify even one political opinion.
So that fact that his political views align completely with the espoused morality of his professed faith is what? Sheer coincidence?
Has the era of Trump already led you to the belief that unless a politician is flagrantly stupid (or as we'd call it these days "Presidential") enough to be honest about their motivations said motivations are spotless and entirely above board? Please?
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Thu, 16. Aug 18, 14:55

Bishop149 wrote:
So that fact that his political views align completely with the espoused morality of his professed faith is what? Sheer coincidence?
Has the era of Trump already led you to the belief that unless a politician is flagrantly stupid (or as we'd call it these days "Presidential") enough to be honest about their motivations said motivations are spotless and entirely above board? Please?
There are two different issues here.

Is it okay to express any view in politics, including views congruent with one's particular religious stances? Yes. As long as one is prepared to accept that the public may well disagree with it, and you follow normal democratic processes (which means that some of those ideas will be popular and will become law, and others will not). A Christian, a Muslim, a Jew and an Atheist all have the same rights to campaign politically for whatever they believe is right, and whilst some of what people believe is right will be the result of their religious views, they are not duty bound to disclose their motivations[1].

Is it okay to demand that everyone follow the morality of the Molvanian Fifth Day Snorkeler church, regardless of their religious affiliation? No, it is not. But it's fine for politicians who are Fifth Day Snorkelers to campaign piecemeal for issues that their religion has a stance on (accepting that others won't automatically agree, and in a democracy ultimately the majority rules).

If one has a religion with a moral stance[2], it is quite reasonable to argue that integrity may well force them to favour that stance.

[1] Although 1) sometimes, as in the case of Pence, the source of one's views will be obvious; and 2) If one chooses not to disclose their reasoning, it may well affect their power to persuade others (and hence may prevent such views from being accepted widely).

[2] Some religions do not express a moral code - Scientology for example - and therefore there is no requirement on members to remain consistent with any moral code.
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 16. Aug 18, 16:43

to make a series of unfounded and outrageous allegations, wild outbursts on the internet and television
When you look at the above quote, most would be wondering just who was saying this about, Trump as this is what Trump does. You would be wrong in wondering this, as it is not about Trump but it's Trump talking about EX CIA director John Brennan. Talk about calling the kettle black or what.
RegisterMe wrote:Apparently more than 200 newspapers are going to publish editorials today criticising Trump's repeated attacks on the media.

I do love this when you have those papers and news outlets opposing it, as they are showing their ignorance, as they don't seem to understand that when Trump attacks the press, it is not just those others he is attacking but it's all of the press, themselves included. :)
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 16. Aug 18, 22:21

Antilogic wrote:... However while I have no respect for the actual beliefs themselves, I do think that people should have the right to practice their belief, assuming that it doesn't harm others. They should have the right to hold public office assuming they put the rights of that office above those of their religion. (E.g. The Lib Dem leader standing down from leadership because he felt he could not do that).
But, in your post, it was because the person in question had religious beliefs that they must come into question in regards to their ability to fulfill their duties.

You didn't put the person first and their "right" to have beliefs, you judged them first by their assumed beliefs.

I agree that if someone is using their religious beliefs as a political argument, that person is stepping outside of the boundaries of what we, Americans, would profess to believe is a legitimate government. They should not do that. And, as you offered, if they think that their religious beliefs will conflict with their official duties, they should step down.
..Everyone has a bias, that's not the issue. Accepting someone is approaching from that perspective and viewing the conversation from that angle is required. Expecting everyone to be unbiased when debating a topic like this is ridiculous...
We all must accept a certain amount of shared understanding in order to communicate. And, we must all exercise empathy in order to comprehend meaning. But, we don't all have to freely give reign to our own bias when discussing something with each other. We shouldn't just be posting our own opinions and neglecting those of others who are posting, should we? A "discussion" is an exchange of ideas. It's the "exchange" that is important.

And, when we examine anything around us, shouldn't we analyze it while recognizing where our own biases have the potential to mislead us? We can certainly have biases for or against something, but we need to be aware of them and avoid them when we're trying to judge the true value of something, especially when that value might apply to other people who don't share the same biases that we do.
...As for proof, evidence, we have entire national governments built on religion and serving their god above that of their human population...
Where is this?
On topic: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45203277
Instead the White House statement spoke of Mr Brennan's "erratic behaviour", "wild outbursts" and "frenzied commentary".
Pot, Kettle, Black.
[/quote]

This is causing quite a stir. It's such a manchild thing for him to do. He can't "reach" these people to punish them in any other way, at least legally... So, he lashes out with a public display of petulance that is so obvious it's pitiful.

This is one of the best responses I've heard about, yet: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/retired-ad ... -clearance

Retired Admiral William McRaven asks Trump to revoke his security clearance
...McRaven called Brennan "one of the finest public servants I have ever known," saying "his honesty and character have never been in question, except by those who don't know him."

"Therefore, I would consider it an honor if you would revoke my security clearance as well, so I can add my name to the list of men and women who have spoken up against your presidency," McRaven wrote. He also criticized the president, saying that he did not possess necessary qualities of a good leader.

"Through your actions, you have embarrassed us in the eyes of our children, humiliated us on the world stage and, worst of all, divided us as a nation," McRaven wrote. "If you think for a moment that your McCarthy-era tactics will suppress the voices of criticism, you are sadly mistaken."
A beautiful, dignified, example of standing up to tyranny.
Last edited by Morkonan on Thu, 16. Aug 18, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Thu, 16. Aug 18, 22:25

- if there has been a conspiracy to enlist foreign support in an election, there must have been collusion..
- to split hairs over the meaning of the word "collusion" is the desperate act of someone who obviously feels under serious threat..

- to engage in a conspiracy, one must collude with others of similar bent, or with similar intentions..

- where's the problem?
- Trump spoke directly (on air) to the Russian Authorities, requesting they release highly secure (stolen!) information on his opponent..
- this is a direct and flagrant act, indicating specific collusion in a conspiracy to tamper with the release of secure (stolen!) information..

- he cannot continue to flagrantly conspire with foreign entities, to manipulate the American voting public..

- he should resign - if he had done so much earlier in his tenure of office, he might have retained a (mere) modicum of respect or decency..
- at this late stage he must RESIGN IN DISGRACE.. if he doesn't do so, then it's time to take the gloves off and go directly for impeachment..
- he has committed treasonous acts while in office - this warrants the strictest action under the law..

- under the law, Trump is an active criminal.. :o :o
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 16. Aug 18, 22:35

RegisterMe wrote:Apparently more than 200 newspapers are going to publish editorials today criticising Trump's repeated attacks on the media.

I don't think anyone has ever evoked a response of this magnitude. But, papers have responded en masse to some politicians, notables, etc.. (Nixon, "Charlie Hebdo", etc..)
Bishop149 wrote:So that fact that his political views align completely with the espoused morality of his professed faith is what? Sheer coincidence?
That's more a question about what "morals" are than anything else. What religious beliefs would survive if, for instance, a religion espoused "morals" that were socially and culturally destructive? Such religions, if widely accepted, wouldn't survive the downfall of their own civilizations...
I don't understand what you're trying to say. Do I believe that because someone gives some revelation about their motivations that means that those revelations must be true? No. But, I do believe that I would need evidence to assume some other unspoken motivation, especially if the former one was logically consistent with their actions.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Thu, 16. Aug 18, 22:41

- don't bother to rehash that old subjective/objective argument on the worth of having a moralistic attitude. Mork..
- it's a monster red-herring and you know it.. :P

- we don't need to examine the "words" we use.. or to debate the value of retaining a moral outlook..
- in the service of the nation, these are accepted as given..
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 04:46

So Trumps military parade to celebrate his kingship and renaming of America to Trumpland has been cancelled till at least 2019. It's interesting that the cost which initially was put at $10 million, has now skyrocketed to $92 million. Trump must be pissed that he can't show of his tin soldiers now.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 05:29

@ felter

Estimated costs + the time needed to train the US Military how to goosestep.

Just popped in to share a cute short film I found.
It's a metaphor for the mess Trump and his cronies have gotten us in. Staged around a teacher who still thinks 2+2=4.

"Alterative Math":

https://youtu.be/Zh3Yz3PiXZw

:o
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 06:25

Hank001 wrote:@ felter

Estimated costs + the time needed to train the US Military how to goosestep.

Just popped in to share a cute short film I found.
It's a metaphor for the mess Trump and his cronies have gotten us in. Staged around a teacher who still thinks 2+2=4.

"Alterative Math":

https://youtu.be/Zh3Yz3PiXZw

:o
That's very well done. And terrifying.
I can't breathe.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 12:01

https://np.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comme ... nt/e4b902d

GOP child sex crimes. List goes on for a while.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 14:06

blatant corruption - in public..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXTy99W8jsw

- this is how a dictator proceeds to eliminate political enemies..
- so, USA - how does it feel to be ruled by Papa Don Drumpf?

- you who place so much BLIND faith in your leaders..??
- so much for pride..
- it's going before a fall, you guys..

- strap in and get ready for a rough landing
- the whole world is watching.. :( :(

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 14:44

Keep it in the family, so long as they are not paying for it.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 16:22

felter wrote:Keep it in the family, so long as they are not paying for it.
How stupid can you get?
I can't breathe.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 21:08

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/senate-una ... he-people/

:lol:. That they feel they needed to make an announcement like this is an interesting statement in itself.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 21:23

Trump wrote:"The fact is that the Press is FREE to write and say anything it wants, but much of what it says is FAKE NEWS, pushing a political agenda or just plain trying to hurt people."
I believe that he believes this as actual fact, that anything the press or anyone else says that portrays him in a bad way true or not is fake, even when the evidence says otherwise. The man is delusional and he can't see past the end of his nose.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 21:23

@ Antilogic

Which hasn't been commented on by the White House press office. Expect a statement such as the resolution doesn't apply to the President's "Personal Position" on the matter. Or more likely a Twitter Storm from Trump about it this weekend summing up to he still hates the press.
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Return to “Off Topic English”