Game Seperation TC-AP

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Annette Barret

Game Seperation TC-AP

Post by Annette Barret » Wed, 4. May 16, 06:52

Here's one I hope you guys can help me with.

I recently had to reinstall Tc & Ap.

Now being clever (So I thought.) I down loaded TC and copied it to a separate drive.

I then Download AP and tried to do the same.

No such luck it merged with my copy of TC.

I assume this is something to do with the way Win 10 works.

I can't seem to create separate folders like I used to.

Any suggestions or advice would be welcome.

Annette.
The True quest for wisdom begins with accepting you know Nothing!

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Wed, 4. May 16, 10:15

X3AP is an addon to X3TC, it uses several files from the base X3TC installation. Hence, why you cannot "separate" X3AP from X3TC. The X3AP specific files (i.e. the files only used by X3AP and not by X3TC) will always be stored in the "addon" folder within the X3 Terran Conflict directory.
When it comes to modding X3AP and X3TC you must therefore keep in mind that mods installed to the X3TC directory may also have an effect on X3AP. An easy way to not have to deal with that is creating two different installations by copying the whole X3 Terran Conflict Steam directory, which also contains the X3AP addon folder, when X3AP is installed, twice to different directories*. That way you can freely mod X3TC in the one directory and leave the other X3TC base installation untouched to play and mod X3AP.

*Don't forget to add the NoSteam .exe files (the X3AP one can be found in the Downloads section, for X3TC you can use the exe file from one of the latest patches). Running the game with copied Steam executable even from a different directory will always point to the Steam installation.

Edit: I just realised you didn't mention, whether you have the Steam version or not. If you're running the GOG version of both games, then of course you don't need the NoSteam .exe files.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Annette Barret

Post by Annette Barret » Wed, 4. May 16, 16:59

Thanks for your speedy reply,

As it happens I have the Steam super box. :roll:

I have already copied the installation to a separate drive. Physical not virtual.

Both games TC/AP work fine as long as I run the shortcuts I created as an administrator when I created them.

The problem I am having that is despite attempting to reinstall MARS. Via the plug in manager, its just not happening. Its all targeted at the right directory it just isn't there in game. :headbang:

Even the installation notes don't help?

Oh well I'll just have to play vanilla till I work it out, at least my save games were backed up.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 5. May 16, 10:13

If you are not using the NoStream.exe then the game will be running from steam, so it'll be using the data within the steam directory, even if you have copied it elsewhere.

It sounds like you are installing mods into your copied folder, but when you run that exe it'll default back to the steam directory.

installing the nosteam.exe should fix that

Annette Barret

Post by Annette Barret » Thu, 5. May 16, 11:12

Cycrow wrote:If you are not using the NoStream.exe then the game will be running from steam, so it'll be using the data within the steam directory, even if you have copied it elsewhere.

It sounds like you are installing mods into your copied folder, but when you run that exe it'll default back to the steam directory.

installing the nosteam.exe should fix that
That worked.

God, I feel such a numpty, :headbang: for not seeing that. I tried installing LUV, which was successful, now I just have to see if I can get the Plug in manager, to work with the new installation of AP I have created.

Thanks again for your advice.

Annette Barret

Post by Annette Barret » Fri, 6. May 16, 08:44

At least I thought it did.

The Mars installation didn't make it to the game, then I found I'd lost half the functions of my joystick.

This defects affected every single copy of AP on my computer. The only way to solve the problem was to delete all of them and the steam package as well.

So obviously there is a problem here.

I have to assuming it's something to do with the plug in manager, as nothing else has the ability to search out my copies of AP on a separate hard drive. Guess I'll have to do a manual installation.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”