How does CLS Work, pls?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

trethil

How does CLS Work, pls?

Post by trethil » Fri, 10. Jun 16, 12:20

Hello,
I've installed the bonus pack and read the three basic guides to CLS, but I just don't understand how it works. I've got a TP in Herron's Nebula. It's got CLS Software Mk 1 and 2 and Nav Software Mk 1. How do I get it to fetch energy cells from The Wall to the Space Fuel Distillery? I can start the external logistics software but all that does is start it and doesn't do much because it's not been programmed. There are another two slots in other commands relating to CLS but I don't quite understand them. What's a 'modus' anyway? The guide suggests you have menus but I can't find any. What am I doing wrong?

Is there a guide or post to babysit someone for setting up CLS?

Thanks you guys,
trethil

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 10. Jun 16, 12:27

Which game are you playing? The Commodity Logistics Software exists since X2: The Threat, but its interface and features changed throughout the different games. If you cannot find any menus, which were first introduced with X3TC, then it's likely you're reading the wrong manual (e.g. the one for X3TC/AP, while playing X2 or X3R).
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Sirrobert
x3ap

Post by Sirrobert » Fri, 10. Jun 16, 12:42

Assuming you're on TC, here's a good guide:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=334255
9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm crazy. The 10th is singing the music from Tetris

trethil

Post by trethil » Fri, 10. Jun 16, 15:50

I'm reading the wrong manual. Thanks. Somebody as simple as me wouldn't think of that. Yes, Tim's guide is epic.

Could I please have a guide to CLS for X3 Reunion.
Many thanks.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Fri, 10. Jun 16, 16:46

The principles for CAG and CLS hold generally true for whichever game version you are playing (so most of the tips you find in a guide for CLS for X3TC can still be applied in X3R, or even X2), so it's just the specifics you need- ie. a user's manual. You can find the documentation in your X3 Reunion folder, Description sub-folder, in a file called ReadMe (English).XML - it describes all the Bonus Pack extra features, and details the command code sequences.

Good hunting!
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Fri, 10. Jun 16, 18:06

What Raven said. A lot of my approach to CLS was worked out in Reunion. I have to say though that while I find the interface improved from R to TC generally, the improvement in the CLS interface is like night and day. The last time I loaded up Reunion I played without using CLS because it was just too much hassle.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Fri, 10. Jun 16, 22:06

Timsup2nothin wrote:What Raven said. A lot of my approach to CLS was worked out in Reunion. I have to say though that while I find the interface improved from R to TC generally, the improvement in the CLS interface is like night and day. The last time I loaded up Reunion I played without using CLS because it was just too much hassle.
Yes, the change from cryptic 3-digit codes that have to be looked up externally (eventually remembered - disturbing in its own way! heheh), combined with Boolean flags set by means of presence or absence of specific equipment (both of which, admittedly, were a most ingenious way to get around the limitations of the scripting environment of the time), to interactive and mostly self-explanatory menus - an excellent transformation. As you say, night and day.
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Khugan
x4

Post by Khugan » Sun, 11. Sep 16, 18:49

CLS, CAG, and ST/UT Traders are incredible tools. I don't know how anyone could play this game without them. One example of problem solving that can be done with CLS pilots. They are great shoppers for when you just bought a capital ship and you want to find weapons. You can use "generate way points" to have the Pilot fly around shopping the universe for your load-out. This function will add a way point for each known station that sells what you have chosen and the pilot will purchase the items at the price limit you choose and up to the amount you choose. You can generate more way points for other items on top of the previous ones so you can easily shop for all the weapon types and missiles you want. You can then add a ship as a way point and have the pilot unload it's cargo with your Tender ship for example, if you are playing with CODEA.

I fly an M7 with CODEA, so when I jump to a new sector, my Tender ship is right behind me, keeping me supplied with jump fuel and missles, and shortly behind him is a CLS pilot keeping him supplied before jumping back out of the sector to restock or even supply other fleets automatically.

EDIT:
Quickly, in a nutshell, CLS. When you start a new game, get a handful of discoverers with the proper software for CLS and set up 4 way points/stations and click start. They will loop around to the stations indefinitely. (They don't have to buy or do anything but fly from point to point) Check on them from time to time and once they reach the level of Logistician, they will have unlimited way points, and they will keep themselves supplied with drones and fuel. Use the software options to transfer the pilot to a proper freighter with a jump drive and give them real tasks that make you money or save you time.

CAG is just as previously described, but you assign the Logistician piloted freighter to a station you own as their 'Home Base' you can then let them handle the stations needs by digging down into the new options. They can be a Trader which shops for and sells for that stations needs and products. Or, they can be Sellers only or Buyers only all with no need to generate way points as they will do this themselves.

Sector/Universal Traders is just the same, but you purchase the additional trade command software MK3 (expensive) and you send them in the ship you want them in FOREVER to preferably the sector just south of Paranid Prime and start "Sector Trader'. (for the fastest leveling) They will automatically trade within that single sector until they them selves level up to be (i don't remember the titles) have the ability to be universal traders where they can earn you a million or more per hour when properly set up. I made the mistake once of trying to transfer a fully leveled up UT into a new ship only to find he was now a Logistician again. So make damn sure they are in the ship you want them in before leveling up ST. Also, don't even open the software of STs/UTs beyond selecting "Start Sector/Universal Trader" or you will lose all the training time and they will be Logisticians again. If you can't use the sector I mentioned, then find another one that is small and has at least solar power plants in them.

In my games I usually have about 10 STs propping up the Argon economy and making me cash in the process. Once the pilot is trained in Empire's Edge to level 10, I select them and order Trade ->Sector Trade, choose Argon Prime and 3 jumps. This will cover all the eastern Argon area and a bit beyond.

Occasionally you will get a ST that is in a bind. He will for some reason have cargo that for what ever reason he can sell and he will send you a message asking what to do about it. I find out their cargo and do best selling price for it until it is gone and then restart ST centered in AP x3 jumps again.

UTs are simple, at level 10 or so you can simply click start UT and forget them until they are attacked some place. And this brings up blacklist manager. You can select any ST or UT ship and in the same box where you set mosquito missile defense, choose the blank spot and select Blacklist Manager. From there you can specify sectors or stations for them to never visit, though I don't think this stops CLS pilots from going places when you send them to shop. You can simply cut those stations out of their listed way points after generating them.

Needed or not, I set all trade ships up with CLS 1 and 2, Trade Command Software Mk2, BB/Best Selling, trading sys ext, a jump drive, mosquito missiles, as well as fight and nav software. Only the pilots that will be ST/UTs get the Trade Command MK3. CLS pilots that will serve ships or fleets get a transporter device. All of the pilots will get and replenish their own drones as needed on their own.

CdrDave has fantastic tutorials on this subject.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”