Anyway to play X2 in widescreen without stretching?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pixel
x3tc

Anyway to play X2 in widescreen without stretching?

Post by pixel » Fri, 10. Jun 16, 20:05

I remember I tried this a while ago and the game stretched so gates were oval etc.

Is there a way around this or do I just need to play 4:3, assuming I can with a widescreen monitor I just need to pick the right res?

"I find your lack of belief in the Three Dimensionality disturbing." Mercenary

"So getting this chick back is more than just getting a chick back. It's the concrete manifestation of an abstract policy goal. And we like concrete - right, Vic?"

Red wine...the only way to frag

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Fri, 10. Jun 16, 21:19

just to add, got it working in windowed mode 4:3 just fine. Looks great to be honest for a 12 (?) year old game. Remembered how to invert the mouse. Now just got to get used to no thrusters (x-treme start :-) )

But if anyone knows how to get this game in full widescreen mode with no stretching, pray tell :-)

"So getting this chick back is more than just getting a chick back. It's the concrete manifestation of an abstract policy goal. And we like concrete - right, Vic?"

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 10. Jun 16, 21:50

If you want to browse some past threads on this topic then just put 'widescreen resolution X2' into this Egosoft Forums Google Search.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Fri, 10. Jun 16, 23:12

Thanks Alan, already did that. The first result is x2 and useless, the rest are x3.

Which is why I posted here? Sorry if you can't help.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Sat, 11. Jun 16, 00:32

I recently re-visited X2, and faced the same issue - the widescreen resolutions offered by the game aren't true widescreen, but rather stretched 4:3 or 5:4 resolutions (as you have discovered.) I also searched high and low for a way to fix this, but apparently the engine is utterly incapable of it, so I ended up lumping it and playing in a 5:4 or 4:3 res (even though it didn't match the vertical res of my LCD in either axis.) The game still looked fine - at least circular things were circles, and not ellipses :D There's a site I often checked for widescreen res mods/patches to old games, but I forget its name - you may want to check there (I can't remember whether I bothered to in this case - I suspect you won't have any joy there either... sorry!)

EDIT: I think the site I mentioned above is http://www.wsgf.org/
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”