[X2] Savegame loading

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Rambo_Mozzy

[X2] Savegame loading

Post by Rambo_Mozzy » Sat, 16. Jul 16, 10:18

Hi, I recently installed again X2 after a lot of time.
In the past i always succeeded to backup and restore savegames everytime i reinstalled clean my OS or switched to new computers, the only thing that changed now is that i changed hardware and i'm using windows 10 instead of 7.

The procedure i follow was always the same:
- Install game from original CD or ISO backup of my own CD. Version 1.4
- Install AL script update
- Install Bonus Package version 1.04.01
- Copy translations of bonus pack to t folder (optional, works without it, just for readtext)
- Install update 1.5
- Start the game with minimal graphics, and if it works tweak the settings.

I already tried reinstalling several times and with a lot of variations in the procedure but i could nail down the problem.

No other changes were made to the game (mods or whatever)

The savegames are 5 (3 of them autosave) and are known to work because were stored in 3 different location (the PC, a NAS and an offline backup disk) and checked with bit to bit comparison. During the time i upgraded my hardware and software i didn't play the game but before upgrading i checked those files by opening them in the old installation and they loaded fine.

Now when i try to load any of those savegames it just stays there and never ends. I checked windows performance monitor and i saw:
- 1 CPU core loaded to 100% all the time until i force close
- Disk load several different files at the beginning and after few seconds the X2.exe process just keep opened an mp3 soundtrack and nothing else

I tried to wait 10 minutes but nothing happened. I don't think it's actually progressing because it never took so much even on an old P4, now i have an i7-4710MQ.
If i load a tutorial it load instantly and works.
I tried moving the scripts away from the folder but nothing changed.

Any ideas?
I'm hoping i can find a friend who had this game too, maybe with the same setup and make him check the files. And if they works maybe re-saving them and seeing if open now on my installation hoping to recover them.
In the meanwhile i try setting up a w7 virtual machine and check there if i can load it.

I thank you in advance for your help, hoping to solve my problem soon and being helpful to someone else too.

The Q
Pancake Award Winner 2017

Post by The Q » Sat, 16. Jul 16, 11:18

Only a guess, but try to run the game in Windows 7 compatibility mode.
Morkonan, Emperor of the Unaffiliated Territories of the Principality of OFF-TOPIC, wrote:I have come to answer your questions! The answers are "Yes" and "Probably" as well as "No" and "Maybe", but I'm not sure in which order they should be given.
xkcd: Duty calls

Rambo_Mozzy

Post by Rambo_Mozzy » Sat, 16. Jul 16, 12:13

Thanks but i already tried XP and 7 compatibility mode.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 16. Jul 16, 13:55

Hi, have you seen and tried the X2 bits on this Sticky thread at the top of this forum? Nothing linked to saves there though.

One other question - did you ever copy in any backdated graphics driver dlls to get around X game menu or map stutter issues? Those old driver dlls will not work in Win10.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Rambo_Mozzy

Post by Rambo_Mozzy » Sat, 16. Jul 16, 14:14

Hi, thank you but i already read that thread.

No, i actually didn't have any other issue except the title bar so had no reason to do any modification to game files/libraries.

Intel HD4600 / nvidia 970M with latest drivers.

The strange thing is that it applies only on these saves... if i run the tutorial they work fine.
It makes me think that something can't load properly and goes in a loop like for example scripts (count almost 200 ships and the majority are TS with commodity logistic software activated for the almost 10 complete loops i have...if i remember rightly).

The strange thing is that it always worked before.

Anyone willing to try to load these saves?

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”