[QUESTIONS]Mission Director API

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Hhhhhha

[QUESTIONS]Mission Director API

Post by Hhhhhha » Sat, 6. Aug 16, 15:00

I always wonder what controls do we have here to put the movie to display in the monitor similar to our briefing mission of AP argon plot. Is it possible we could do this similar way or MD doesn't have supports of these? <create_actor> is more on we interact with the object and request through comm. menu and <play_movie> is not the one I'm looking for too but I noticed there was an option called briefing.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Sat, 6. Aug 16, 15:07

just check how its done in said plot - it is also written in MD ;)
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Hhhhhha

Post by Hhhhhha » Sat, 6. Aug 16, 15:19

I thought there is no object all the time how silly i am, Derik ship is always present at the time we enter sector 148. Too bad that is not the way i feel like i might want to do because we have to create a ship all the time. I thought we could just trigger the briefing clips whenever we do looks like its not going to work which is too bad :( .

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Sat, 6. Aug 16, 17:07

Sorry but can you elaborate on what exactly you're trying to do / trying to replicate? I might be able to help you but atm I don't really understand what the question / situation is.

Hhhhhha

Post by Hhhhhha » Sat, 6. Aug 16, 18:37

What I'm trying to do is to trigger the briefing video clips inside the right monitor whenever I want without <create_actor> because I do only need something like a distress call without a ship or station. After reading through the argon AP plot mission, I do realize that commander derik always have a ship which being created before the briefing sequence which means I do need a ship or station where I don't feel I want to. All I need to do is I want to get the video play inside the monitor. :(

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Sun, 7. Aug 16, 18:53

Are you referring to the comms window? If so, even if you needed to create an actor to play dialogue, you wouldn't need to necessarily actually place the actor physically inside an object or anything.

It depends entirely on what exactly you want to do with him but the thing you're likely searching for is play_text .

Hhhhhha

Post by Hhhhhha » Mon, 8. Aug 16, 07:31

I wonder what's wrong with these:-

<create_actor name="ASDFG001.Sample" character="{3895,100}" face="108" race="argon" voice="3942"/>
<play_text priority="99" actor="ASDFG001.Sample" textid="10000"/>

No conditions at all, its a simple cue with do_all action but no video or sound pops out from the right monitor screen???

Hhhhhha

Post by Hhhhhha » Mon, 8. Aug 16, 10:48

Ok here it comes the problem I manage to get the message working through message form now I need actual function to play videos and briefing sound and it seems that <play_dialog> is not working as I'm having no luck to get it to work.

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Mon, 8. Aug 16, 12:47

That command is working fine. I've been using it for 5+ years, believe me. ;)

The sound doesn't play because you don't have any sound recordings. Recordings aren't just going to magically appear for any text you put in. You'll have to create new ones and add them to the game yourself. But mind you nobody has ever done that before so good luck I guess.

The actual portrait of the actor should show up fine though as long as you've specified the correct face for him. Those are completely independent from their sound.

Generally, if something doesn't work, try looking at the command being used in other files. Then copy the relevant stuff over and try to get those actors working in isolation. Then replace the variables in the command one by one until you get what you want and each time check whether it still works. As soon as it doesn't anymore, there's your issue.

Sorry but I don't really have the time to debug your code for you. I recommend you make use of the director.htm which contains an overview over all commands and variables available in the MD.

Hhhhhha

Post by Hhhhhha » Mon, 8. Aug 16, 13:17

I didn't try to change anything inside the plot mission file, this is a total copy and paste from the argon plot xml.
Original snippets:-
<cue name="L2M019" library="1" delay="5s">
<cue name="L2M019_C1" delay="2s">
<create_actor name="L2M019.Derik" character="{3895,100}" face="108" race="argon" voice="3942" invincible="1" object="L2M019.DerikShip" location="crew"/>
<cue name="L2M019_C1_Reset_Rotation" instantiate="static">
<cue name="L2M019_C1_Offer_Mission" delay="3s">
<incoming_message author="{actor.name@L2M019.Derik}" text="{3942,10000}" silent="1"/>
<play_text priority="99" actor="L2M019.Derik" textid="10000"/>

I don't have to put incoming_message since its for bbs message and the original did not let the message popups. So it should be two lines only as I posted earlier but even I put a check marker after or before the play_text command i don't get the video play inside the comm. monitor. And i don't really think nested cues will be the issue because i don't understand why you need it since what i do need is the create_actor and play_text.

Hhhhhha

Post by Hhhhhha » Mon, 8. Aug 16, 14:35

Never mind I manage to get it work :(
Looks like the culprit about the misguidance through this line:-
<play_text priority="99" actor="L2M019.Derik" textid="10000"/>

I refer back to original API xsd, you need to declare "line":-
<play_text priority="99">
<line actor="L3M019.Derik" textid="10000"/>
</play_text>

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”