Ion Disruptors and damaged goods

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Uncle B

Ion Disruptors and damaged goods

Post by Uncle B » Mon, 29. Mar 04, 18:04

Who finds that IDs damage more ship equipment than standard guns?

JackScratch
x2

Post by JackScratch » Mon, 29. Mar 04, 18:12

Ions are more likely to destroy a ship's systems prior to capture than other guns.

But the biggest destroyer of guns/shields is the random roll the game makes on capture. What weapon used to make the capture has no effect on this roll that I can determine (and I've done some heavy testing on it).

Assuming the system survives til the pilot bails, of course.

Jha'dur
x2

Post by Jha'dur » Mon, 29. Mar 04, 18:18

IonD's certainly destroy more of your equipment when they're fired at you. shuddering at the memory of the repair-bill after my encounter with a boron dolphin with IonD

Prosthetic Head
x3

Post by Prosthetic Head » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 04:12

it's a shame you don't get thee occasional ship with all equipment in tact.

TerrorTrooper
x4

Post by TerrorTrooper » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 04:16

i had a nova once with just 1% hull after a severe PSG Roasting, i was gonna blow it up as it wasnt worth keeping, but i checked cargo, 3 x 25MW Shields, 2 x B-Hept and some missiles.

Ion D's sem to be severely Nerfed in 1.3 for capping.

i now use a bayamon with 4 x A-PSG or Perseus with 3 x B-PSG for capping now.

Much more effective

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 04:18

Prosthetic Head wrote:it's a shame you don't get thee occasional ship with all equipment in tact.
You can if you don't use Ion D's. :P Use a Bayamon or Mandalay with Alpha PSGs and you can get a fair amount of equipment. I just captured 12 Xenon M's and 4 L's from one of the 'protect me from the xenon' missions and got several weapons and shields and a smattering of other equipment, including 10 silkworm missiles. Quite a good haul actually. I used a Super Bayamon (from mission 2) with 4 APSGs to accomplish this. :D
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

khanis
x2

Post by khanis » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 04:22

I just sit outside the pirate base in priest's pity in my osprey with turrets deactivated, and swarm ships as they come out with dual front BPSG's. Send the ships off to paranid prime and use my harrier to capture pilots and store them undetected in my osprey.

b-b-q
x2

Post by b-b-q » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 04:37

I am not sure if ID makes any difference. Even if you don't use them most of the equipment are destroyed based on random rolls.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 05:48

b-b-q wrote:I am not sure if ID makes any difference. Even if you don't use them most of the equipment are destroyed based on random rolls.
It makes a big difference. If I use Ion D's, I can destroy engine tunings, weapons and shields on a target. I've stopped using them because I can make more money selling the equipment plus the damaged ship than I can just the bare shell with little damage. Use them against a ship sometime and watch the equipment disappear and the speed drop. You'll see. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

JackScratch
x2

Post by JackScratch » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 06:25

Well sure, but when you factor in how much equipment survives the random roll even without Ions, you'll find you come away with equipment very very rarely. So if you didn't use ions you usually end up with a heavilly damaged hull with little to no extras. Plus there is a heavy chance of accidently killing the target with no capture at all.

Seems more reliable money to go with Ions, 100% captures, and a hardly damaged hull to me.

Smauler
x2

Post by Smauler » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 06:56

The trouble with capturing for the sake of it is that it takes so much time... I prefer blasting away with my bhepts... If I don't capture, so be it. I can keep a licence with bhepts, don't have to worry about that. If I don't capture something in my current sortie, go someplace else. I was in Priest's Pity recently, and the pirates were out in force (I didn't touch the pirate base). I got 3 Orinocos, 3 Pirate ships, and 1 Bayamon. Ok, they did generally have bad hulls (40-60 mostly), but I spent so little time blasting away :).

Admittedly it is not generally as effective as this. However, every pirate ship I see I go after with 1/2 a mind to capture. ie, waste the shields then tickle. If they drop below 40/50% hull and are still moaning I just waste them though. I find, even with bhepts I get decent results, 1 in 3 or 4 or so bail. And if I'm looking for captures, I'll just jump to another system.

Each to their own I guess :P.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 08:14

JackScratch wrote:Well sure, but when you factor in how much equipment survives the random roll even without Ions, you'll find you come away with equipment very very rarely. So if you didn't use ions you usually end up with a heavilly damaged hull with little to no extras. Plus there is a heavy chance of accidently killing the target with no capture at all.

Seems more reliable money to go with Ions, 100% captures, and a hardly damaged hull to me.
I hardly ever have a minimally damaged hull since the 1.3 patch and the nerfing of the Ion D capture technique. Usually in the range 50-80% hulls, whether using Ions or not. And by not using Ions, I get shields and weapons more often. Also, when capturing the faster ships during an assassination mission, I never get extra engine tunings using Ions, whereas I can get 1 in 4 with extra tunings by using PSGs or HEPTs.

BenKanoobie
x2

Post by BenKanoobie » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 13:52

Has anyone ever tried using the Mass Driver as a capturing weapon?, I was thinking of trying it to see if i can get more precious 25MW shields recovered but I'd probably have to build my own ammo factory as well, so I'd like to know how anybody did trying this.

canazza
x4

Post by canazza » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 14:00

Mass Drivers are great capping weapons, I used to use em alot, got about 80% cap rate, but you get less of a return with all that ammo you have to buy.

and Ion D's mixed with a mass driver is enough to cap. (Ion D's to take care of any missiles, while the MD nibbles at the hull)
--==Dave Canazza==--
Far Star: Terran Sabre (M4)

3iff
x2

Post by 3iff » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 14:11

I've been attacked a few times by Orinocos with IDs - it causes me to panic...but I've noticed that these ships are very quick to surrender.

Luckiest capture so far...an Orinoco with just 7 points of hull remaining complete with 2 * 25Mw shields and a Bhept (or was it an Ahept?).

BenKanoobie
x2

Post by BenKanoobie » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 14:12

Where do you BUY ammo?, I've never seen any in stock:(

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”