X3TC, question regarding OOS Combat

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Alexeiy
x3ap

X3TC, question regarding OOS Combat

Post by Alexeiy » Sat, 27. Aug 16, 03:40

Would 20 Tomahawk filled Hades positioned next to a xenongate make for a good defence?

This 2 year old forumthread http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=367943 suggests, that in OOS combat the fastest ship shots first and that the damagevalue is equal to 5/30seconds of constant fire or the damage of a single fired missile.

So a Combat round would look like that: 20 Hades engage in combat with a Q
Hades fires Tomahawk, dealing 0,625GJ of damage
Q is destroyed
The end

Would that work, or is there perhabs some randomfactor when assinging who starts the combat (e.g. I would have to use ugly Vipers for their speed)?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 27. Aug 16, 07:34

I don't think there's any guarantee your Hades will fire first, and if they don't, one is guaranteed destroyed by the Q before the return fire obliterates it. Thus, your initially infallible defence would pretty soon fail due to attrition of the ships making it up.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Sat, 27. Aug 16, 07:35

Pretty sure there is a large random factor to it.
There is a good chance some of the M8s are destroyed before the Q blows up - this may become more expensive than a M2 in the long run.
Right on commander !

Alexeiy
x3ap

Post by Alexeiy » Sat, 27. Aug 16, 12:26

Geek wrote:Pretty sure there is a large random factor to it.
There is a good chance some of the M8s are destroyed before the Q blows up - this may become more expensive than a M2 in the long run.
So I guess I have to run Vipers then :cry:

I will start with 30 Vipers and see how unlikely it really is that less than 7 of them shot first with a 44%higher speed.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Thu, 1. Sep 16, 01:55

I find that M8s are most effective (and most fun! :D ) in-sector. Oh, and also potentially most dangerous to oneself, if used carelessly :lol:

Another thing (not necessarily for your OoS proposal, but rather a general observation) - if you are "international" with your ship use (as is indicated by your use of both Hades and Viper), then take a look at the OTAS Auger Hauler (if you are playing AP, not TC) - these have the same bare-bones cost as other M8s, but have much larger cargobays and can wear up to 3x 200MJ shields, though at the cost of speed (I've never really found low speed to be an issue with M8s in any case - it's not like they're dogfighting with MDs and thus needing to close quickly to their targets.)
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”