X3AP, Bugged J key/seta - Resolved by reinstall

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

joseph99

X3AP, Bugged J key/seta - Resolved by reinstall

Post by joseph99 » Tue, 30. Aug 16, 14:55

Hi there. Sorry to bother people. I'm wondering if anyone's seen the problem i'm having before. If it's familiar or if anyone can help solve it even. I've this weird, frustrating, minor problem with a fresh install of albion prelude. In all the years I've spent playing the x games, I've never seen this before. I feel like the games trying to troll me lol :)

I have a bugged out j key when it comes to using seta. If seta is mapped to the default j key, it misbehaves and bugs out on me but if I map seta to any other key, it works fine.

It's not that it doesn't work. Seta starts up just fine. It's trying to use the j key again to stop seta. That's when it gets messy. It stops seta, then starts up again automatically by itself. It then kicks of on a never ending loop of starting and stopping seta. Its been doing this for 3 days straight. I either need to break seta another way (another key for example) or accept mapping seta to another key.

Somethings clearly crossing with the j key here. So I did the following. Fyi none of it worked.

I had only installed 3 mods/add-ons (bonus pack, cockpits and advanced jump drive). I uninstalled all 3 and tried a new game. It fixed nothing so it's not mods.

I disconnected my controller thinking it was interfering, it wasn't.

I tried playing terran conflict and reunion to see rule out my keyboard. Terran conflict and reunion work as they should. No buggy j key so this is related to albion prelude specifically (or my install of it at least)

I did plenty of other things I can't remember at this point in time, short of uninstalling and reinstalling the whole thing because that seems a bit extreme for something as simple as this.

Edit: Just to add the following I figured out through testing.

I figured out how to get seta to work/stop properly with the j key but I need to press and hold the j key, not just tap it. It doesn't restart on its own when I press and hold the key a for a second. So its short taps of the j key it doesn't like.

It's specifically the j key. It's doing this with no other key I've tested.

A quick tap of the j key is actually triggering multiple hits. I figured that out when I remaped the jump drive to the j key. I gave it a quick tap, the map came up and snapped instantly up to Jupiter. There was 3 j's in the search bar. So quick taps of the j key, in my install, are causing multiple hits.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 30. Aug 16, 23:07

Sounds like a combination of X3AP being set up to be very sensitive to rapid keystroke responses while also having a case of key bounce or dirty contact on your J key. You *should* also perhaps be able to slow the acceptance of repeat key presses somewhere in your OS or keyboard device set up as a workaround.

The only other thing I can think of is another input device sending a spurious J key signal, but then you say you unplugged your controller. Perhaps try any unplugging other input devices such as joystick, pedals, etc as well.

Last thought, make sure you don't have a hotkey or keyboard macro set up on your J key.

Good luck.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

joseph99

Post by joseph99 » Wed, 31. Aug 16, 18:08

I managed to fix it. I wiped my install then got steam to download it again. All of a sudden every things working fine on it. I don't get it. I must have done something stupid and broke my install a little. I'm just not sure what I did to it.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 31. Aug 16, 20:30

Good to hear. Enjoy the game. :)
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”