Creative Alchemy needed anymore?

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

usernamed

Creative Alchemy needed anymore?

Post by usernamed » Tue, 13. Sep 16, 22:03

Hello!

Does the X3 Rebirth require you to use Alchemy anymore? I see there's no EAX setting in audio settings anywhere. So i was wondering whether they abandoned completely the EAX audio positioning in this newer version?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 13. Sep 16, 22:36

IIRC, Creative's Alchemy was to designed to allow the XP standard sound format EAX and DirectSound surroundsound (as used by X-X3 games) work (sort of) with Vista and later OSs. Since Rebirth was designed for Win7 and later OSs using the OpenAL sound standard, I would guess that you should not need either Alchemy or EAX (unless still using Vista maybe).

BTW: Rebirth is not an X3 game.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

usernamed

Post by usernamed » Tue, 13. Sep 16, 23:29

Yeah, it's actually sad they don't provide it as an alternative.

These days when you use stereo headphones it's almost imposible to get a good sound positioning effects without the Creative's EAX implementation that used direct hardware to D3D.

Even though i use an X-Fi i tried to mess with different settings and it's impossible to get any virtual sound positioning in your cans. All these "virtual surround" settings in audio console for the soundcard just do a crappy job. At the same time running old proper EAX games through Alchemy, like Thief 3, they sound fantrastic in your stereo cans. You can actually feel the sound distance.

Nowadays you just gotta have a proper 5.1 setup to get the immersion.

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”